Archived Demoting as a current SrTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently a SrTL. With all the changes I am considering demoting to a TM. How much money will I lose? I have been with Spot for a long time and have always been a TL.
I can’t give any specific since HR is a weak point for me but I know there’s a limit how much they can cut you. So I think you’d make more than other TMs but not sure how much

Let me tell you right now if you demote to a team member you might as well quit unless you’re ok with your amount of hours being complete trash.

If you go to them and demote because “lol this place sucks” then they’re not going to view you very nicely whatsoever. That’s a promise.

Should add you won't be able to stay at your current store either

Its honorable to admit you can’t deal with changes and immense responsibility. Better to let someone qualified lead a new breed of warriors.

Reactions: NKG
Its honorable to admit you can’t deal with changes and immense responsibility. Better to let someone qualified lead a new breed of warriors.

It not like you said or another previous poster said "lol this place sucks" I actually like working at Spot and I would be fine with anything that comes my way. My potential issue is if I am going to be required to work mid shifts. It does not fit in my lifestyle or in with my work life balance.

I have been looking for a new job for months with no luck. I don't understand how they can expect someone who has worked the same shift for so long to adjust their entire life at the drop of a hat. I have young children, my wifes and my schedule works perfectly for what we need. I just find it so unfair.

SrTL has been $5.75 over base at most stores for a while now, so that should be a good estimate. And, as other people said, your hours could be anywhere from 4 to 40. I'd expect them to make you transfer to another store, but exceptions can be made. I stepped down from SrTL and stayed at my store, but they made me transfer when I stepped down again from TL to TM.

It not like you said or another previous poster said "lol this place sucks" I actually like working at Spot and I would be fine with anything that comes my way. My potential issue is if I am going to be required to work mid shifts. It does not fit in my lifestyle or in with my work life balance.

I have been looking for a new job for months with no luck. I don't understand how they can expect someone who has worked the same shift for so long to adjust their entire life at the drop of a hat. I have young children, my wifes and my schedule works perfectly for what we need. I just find it so unfair.
I know this is the exact issue that is going to hit my store. None of the TLs in my store are going to be okay with the mid shift change. If we truly do implement it, I’ll honestly feel really bad for them.

We have quite a few TLs that have been with the store since its opening 10+ years ago and others that have been on for years and have families. It’s rough and it kind of sucks. I definitely feel for you and hope everything works out for all.

So get the closing TL position... pretty sure that's a thing.

I gotta say though I'm absolutely shocked that you've worked retail all this time and you're going to quit over working mid shifts. Yeah... they suck... but... it's retail.

Get out of retail. Good luck and God bless.

I gotta say though I'm absolutely shocked that you've worked retail all this time and you're going to quit over working mid shifts. Yeah... they suck... but... it's retail.

I took the job at Spot because of the hours. And since then have always worked mornings. At my previous job I worked miss and a lot of closing shifts. I was younger then with no family. I left that job for lack of flexibility with personal time etc. The closing lead would be worse. I would never see my family. That job is for young kids who want to party every night and don't have a family to come home to.

Seriously?

Working maybe 1-2 mids a week is different than 5 a week.

I love Target's hypocrisy. On its Facebook page, it's all family and relationships. But in reality, Target doesn't care.
Exactly. I hate the response "hey it's retail what do you expect." I expect to be treated like a human being. When I first started with spot we weren't even open on Thanksgiving then one year we were. Everyone had to deal with it. They just keep cutting down everyone and expect their lives to be based around this job. Like a previous poster said 1-2 mids a week would be fine but 5 is unfair to ask people to rearrange their lives.

I took the job at Spot because of the hours. And since then have always worked mornings. At my previous job I worked miss and a lot of closing shifts. I was younger then with no family. I left that job for lack of flexibility with personal time etc. The closing lead would be worse. I would never see my family. That job is for young kids who want to party every night and don't have a family to come home to.

Ok, then that makes sense, but... it's time to move on. Demoting to a TM, even if you somehow magically still got 40 hours a week, which isn't going to happen, is not going to result in you getting this perfect schedule that you want or mostly perfect for work life balance. It's not going to happen... and if it does, it'll be a short term thing anyways. 0% chance that in 5 years time you're still working for the company working the shift you want getting the hours you want. 0%. ZERO.

Seriously?

Working maybe 1-2 mids a week is different than 5 a week.

Yes, seriously. It sucks. It shouldn't be that way. But it IS that way. And it's not going to get better. You all know what you signed up for... or perhaps you didn't, but the writing had to be pretty clear on the wall at some point during your stay if you have any tenure at all.

I love Target's hypocrisy. On its Facebook page, it's all family and relationships. But in reality, Target doesn't care.

Target doesn’t care. You’re right.

And they’re going to continue to do things irrespective of their workers’ well being and work life balance. Even though I personally think they’re wrong and hurting themselves in the long run, it’s not going to stop. They’re going to continue increasing expectations and reducing resources.

In today’s America, most people work for large corporations that don’t care. You’re a number on a spreadsheet. That’s it. You might get lucky and be put under a manager that does care about you but in terms of the big picture, we are all nothing.

It shouldn’t be this way. I'm not voicing approval of it. But it is that way. And it’s going to get worse. Complaining about it isn't going to do anything except maybe make you feel better in the very short term. It doesn't actually improve your life.

In terms of one’s own personal life, the solution is to go to work for a small employer that has less than 50 employees or something small like that. Any corporation you go to, it’s going to be the same thing.

Here’s what happens in a lot of cases and what has happened with Target... someone founds a company and they have a vision... and the company blows up and succeeds at incredible heights under said vision and operating model... well eventually they retire or die off... and the company might get lucky and get a new CEO or two along the way that still cares and things might even go higher... but eventually the company becomes publicly traded and CEOs start being put into place to bleed the place dry.

They don’t have any care in their hearts for the company itself to succeed long term, never mind giving the least bit of a shit about the well being of the employees. They just want short term profitability as an operating strategy. That's it. Bleed it really slowly. Keep bleeding until it's over.

This isn't a Target exclusive thing. It's a large corporation thing. And it's going to continue to get worse and worse for the country and the world as a whole as automation sweeps throughout the world and makes 50% of the population unemployable.

Target is going to continue to do what Target thinks is best for its shareholders to continue driving the results, quarter by quarter, day by day. It's really that simple. There is no need to analyze it any further than that.

Exactly. I hate the response "hey it's retail what do you expect." I expect to be treated like a human being. When I first started with spot we weren't even open on Thanksgiving then one year we were. Everyone had to deal with it. They just keep cutting down everyone and expect their lives to be based around this job. Like a previous poster said 1-2 mids a week would be fine but 5 is unfair to ask people to rearrange their lives.

Well, you can hate the response all you want but that's not going to change anything. The course for Target is set. The question is, do you want to still be on board or not? It's really quite simple. It sucks, and I'm sorry. But it is what it is. It's a publicly traded company run by a CEO that does not care about the long term and that will be the continued trend until its dying day.

Go work for someone else.

Short term, the solution is to quit. Long term, realistically, you can't fight it... but long term, if you want to make a difference for those around you, do not buy any product from any publicly traded companies. But you won't do that, because they make your life too easy on a surface level.

Ok, then that makes sense, but... it's time to move on. Demoting to a TM, even if you somehow magically still got 40 hours a week, which isn't going to happen, is not going to result in you getting this perfect schedule that you want or mostly perfect for work life balance. It's not going to happen... and if it does, it'll be a short term thing anyways. 0% chance that in 5 years time you're still working for the company working the shift you want getting the hours you want. 0%. ZERO.

Yes, seriously. It sucks. It shouldn't be that way. But it IS that way. And it's not going to get better. You all know what you signed up for... or perhaps you didn't, but the writing had to be pretty clear on the wall at some point during your stay if you have any tenure at all.

And they’re going to continue to do things irrespective of their workers’ well being and work life balance. Even though I personally think they’re wrong and hurting themselves in the long run, it’s not going to stop. They’re going to continue increasing expectations and reducing resources.

In today’s America, most people work for large corporations that don’t care. You’re a number on a spreadsheet. That’s it. You might get lucky and be put under a manager that does care about you but in terms of the big picture, we are all nothing.

It shouldn’t be this way. I'm not voicing approval of it. But it is that way. And it’s going to get worse. Complaining about it isn't going to do anything except maybe make you feel better in the very short term. It doesn't actually improve your life.

In terms of one’s own personal life, the solution is to go to work for a small employer that has less than 50 employees or something small like that. Any corporation you go to, it’s going to be the same thing.

Here’s what happens in a lot of cases and what has happened with Target... someone founds a company and they have a vision... and the company blows up and succeeds at incredible heights under said vision and operating model... well eventually they retire or die off... and the company might get lucky and get a new CEO or two along the way that still cares and things might even go higher... but eventually the company becomes publicly traded and CEOs start being put into place to bleed the place dry.

They don’t have any care in their hearts for the company itself to succeed long term, never mind giving the least bit of a shit about the well being of the employees. They just want short term profitability as an operating strategy. That's it. Bleed it really slowly. Keep bleeding until it's over.

This isn't a Target exclusive thing. It's a large corporation thing. And it's going to continue to get worse and worse for the country and the world as a whole as automation sweeps throughout the world and makes 50% of the population unemployable.

Target is going to continue to do what Target thinks is best for its shareholders to continue driving the results, quarter by quarter, day by day. It's really that simple. There is no need to analyze it any further than that.

Well, you can hate the response all you want but that's not going to change anything. The course for Target is set. The question is, do you want to still be on board or not? It's really quite simple. It sucks, and I'm sorry. But it is what it is. It's a publicly traded company run by a CEO that does not care about the long term and that will be the continued trend until its dying day.

Short term, the solution is to quit. Long term, realistically, you can't fight it... but long term, if you want to make a difference for those around you, do not buy any product from any publicly traded companies. But you won't do that, because they make your life too easy on a surface level.

I'm not complaining. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of it. Target as a company is like any other company, no morals. But it is a form of false advertising.

It's no different than Target saying they care about the environment. They don't care. We throw so much away.

I'm not complaining. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of it. Target as a company is like any other company, no morals. But it is a form of false advertising.

It's no different than Target saying they care about the environment. They don't care. We throw so much away.

I didn’t take you as complaining. That’s directed at the other people I quoted.

I agree with you. Target has the face of being the people’s champion and socially conscious but it’s all a complete facade.

Ongoing short term profitability is the only consideration and care that Target has.

Honestly publicly trading a company is a death wish, once you do that or sell out to a private equity firm its only a matter of time. Your going to start getting robber barons.

Marsh and Toys R Us went through the same thing.

Honestly publicly trading a company is a death wish, once you do that or sell out to a private equity firm its only a matter of time. Your going to start getting robber barons.

Marsh and Toys R Us went through the same thing.

I was hoping robber baron was an anagram for Brian Cornell. A couple letters off, I know.

I feel you. My store is going to be getting rid of at least half the tls because they aren't performing well with the changes. This year at least in my district they are going to be removing the "senior" team lead role supposedly. If you are a leader you will be a key carrier. Let's see how this goes, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back