Different expectations for Team Members

I used to really enjoy working in Style however things have gone completely down hill. All of the TLs are new with the exception of one. As much as they like to say the expectations are the same for everyone that’s not the case. With me being one of the younger TMs (18), I’m expected to get a ridiculous amount of work done within a short time frame. I’ve been told to do a perfect zone while working 1 rack of abandons + 2 bins, 3 racks of freight + 1 green monster and be a first responder for the lanes all within a 4 hr shift. Whenever I work with the older ladies Im left to tackle all of the abandons by myself while they are in the FR complaining about all of the work that needs to be done (but doesn’t actually get done). 3 of them in particular get away with rarely ever working more than 3 racks of freight for their 8 hour shifts. Someone had complained to a TL about a tm and I working on 2 days worth of returns together and we were purposely placed on opposite sides of Style (as if we hadn’t been doing anything) even though we finished in a reasonable amount of time for all of the crazy returns they had left for us. My ability to do the most basic things is always questioned by the same co worker (We’ve both been here for nearly two years, so yes, I do know how to organize jeans.) My TL I have been working with since the very beginning told me Im the only one in Style to had received a 5% so Im not worried about my performance whatsoever. The thing is, along with other TMs I feel belittled by certain co workers because of my age and the typical assumption that i'm “just a stupid teenager that doesn’t need the job” when in reality its the complete opposite as I work 40 hrs while still balancing school. Im the only one in my family fortunate enough to still have a job during these difficult times and I always try to be the best I can be

Sorry you are frustrated. That's one of the hard parts about working. There will always be slackers.

The good news is that you were recognized with a 5% review, so your work is noticed.

Can you pull the more experienced TL aside, and have a chat with that person? Maybe let them know you are feeling overwhelmed, and are continuously walking into incomplete re-shop from the day before?

Until there is accountability, unfortunately, nothing will change. TLs should be walking the fitting room and Style break out areas daily to make sure product is being put away. TLs should be checking in with tms before the end of their shift.

---
This happens at my store, too. Some DBOs never get their re-shop during the day, and the work is pushed off onto the 1-2 closing tms.

Some areas of the BR at my store are very messy, but until a Leader cares, then it while continue.

All you can do is your best, and try to ignore the ones who belittle you.

Honestly, some of the TLs in my store (over the years) have been the messiest. And the laziest. Complaining about it in the store will do no good other than to alienate the TLs, and make my life worse.

I just keep my head down, and do my job to the best of my ability. I keep my area neat, my re-shop put away, and my BR is tidy. I also go out of my way to appreciate and recognize the other tms that have a mindset similar to mine, and do a great job.

Like when I am picking SFS - I make a point to recognize the DBOs in the areas that are the easiest to pick from. "Wow, Susie, your area looks great. I was picking SFS, and everything was so nicely organized." I also tell the Store Director when I see something amazing a DBO has accomplished.

Hang in there.

I especially love the DBOs who complain about their workload and how it couldn't possibly be done on time - while they are standing there slurping down the last of their Starbucks beverage on the sales floor, 15 minutes AFTER their already substantial break has ended.

Or the ones who seem to always be at Guest Services or up front standing around talking no matter when you go looking for them.

Or the ones who've been here forever who think they are the bee's knees, yet their skills are substandard to people who were hired recently.

Like you, I am recognized and praised by my leadership, and I know that they are aware of the issues in my department. I've even been told that things are going on behind the scenes to rectify the situation - but sometimes the wheels of justice turn very, very slowly.

I feel your pain.

Honestly, some of the TLs in my store (over the years) have been the messiest. And the laziest. Complaining about it in the store will do no good other than to alienate the TLs, and make my life worse.

I just keep my head down, and do my job to the best of my ability. I keep my area neat, my re-shop put away, and my BR is tidy. I also go out of my way to appreciate and recognize the other tms that have a mindset similar to mine, and do a great job.

Like when I am picking SFS - I make a point to recognize the DBOs in the areas that are the easiest to pick from. "Wow, Susie, your area looks great. I was picking SFS, and everything was so nicely organized." I also tell the Store Director when I see something amazing a DBO has accomplished.

Hang in there.
Oh ya, I'll thank someone in person and if it was something really huge ill thank them over the radio as well.

Resurrecting the age old question of:
‘why are expectations so uneven ?’,
why do we have to hold on to dead weight ?
I know: if you want something done ask a busy person to do it . But it annoys me that while I have endless tasks, I constantly see tm chatting, taking long/multiple breaks, on their phone, cashiers sitting down, parties at guest service.......
the SAME few are called out for not logging into phone, expected to back-up cashier, given extra work.....
there are TM that show up (late), stay at TSC half shift, milk all training, loaf, complain, never answer phone, never back up cashier yet get more hours than the ones I see busting A.
why, o, why ?

Yep, been there and it stinks. It's a good thing that your TL recognizes your efforts (although it seems, to me, inappropriate that they should mention how your raise compares to that of others).
Every work place is going to have slackers and busybodies and know-it-alls. It's just the way life is, sorry to say. So while you can't control that, you can control how you respond. Do your best because that's all you really can do. Try to ignore the ones who cause problems because it's not your responsibility to fix them or what they're doing wrong. Eventually, things will change - someone will quit, transfer to a different department or a different store.
I'm happy to say that one slacker at my store is transferring back to his school-year store and today was his last day. Seems like every other time I see him he's standing and talking to another TM. The other times I see him he's moving so slowly, a turtle would be able to move faster. Good riddance. You'll be able think the same one day if you can stick it out.

It's funny, you find style team members in just the darndest places, don't you? Group party at the tables ladiessss! I've asked our SFTL if I can learn how to do softlines over a few shifts here soon just to know the area, but I really just want to have the right to tell our style team members to stop slacking.

Ah good old Tarshit. Where your underworked,overworked and underappreciated all the same time. Told to bust your ass with hardly no hours and when you do because your awesome your given a shitty couple of cents raises and an insulting review for it despite again being amazing.

It got a little better for a while, but now Expectations are out of control again!
Mainly because SD/HR/ETL/TM/TL’s EACH asking for 8 hours work !

So - I have a 7 hour shift,
3.5 hours used doing LOD duties And meal Uses up 4.
Which leaves 3 hours.

SD wants ALL the signing up to date,
(Some are 4 months old, plus there are 4 pallets still wrapped.)

OK, I could do that, but......
HR wants training completed, interviews done, attendance conversations documented, emails read, Harassment training done with each tm, breaks and meals assigned.

OH, ETL has requested that.....
Backstock is caught up, backroom aisles are profiled, new DBO’s trained, Displays out, fixture room cleaned, sets audited and trapped push completed. The plan for next week is finished, right ?

None of them realize how much we back Up cashier, the time it takes to complete Audit, How far behind pricing is and the time used assisting tm’s! Oh...guests. I help guests too.

I don’t waste a minute, come in early, take no breaks, work while eating lunch, stay after I punch out, map locations and plan on my day off, barely read e-mails, cut corners to finish sets.......and I still cannot complete 1/3 of what is asked of me in a day !!

Help. I WANT to do well but 3 out of 4 leaders are NOT going to be happy with my work completed in a day.
I get told I can get it all done if delegate. To WHO ? Everyone Else has stuff to do too!

Oh, peer TL just ask for a pair of hands to help complete presentation workload in their departments - I can assist, right ?

F.U. comes to mind, but unfortunately I’m not like that...so......not leaving on time again today.

well, vent time is over, I’m finished my business and multitasking, back to the floor.

Yup our whole store is flex trained now... and its still not enough... there's just not enough hours in the day

Back