Archived Discount works after termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was at my local Target tonight and used my employee discount...I have the new Target Wallet app and it has my discount saved into it. I also turned my card into the store that I used to work at. I was haven’t worked at Target for almost a year. I also did not retire or have enough time in to keep my discount. Can anybody think of why this is???

Last edited:
Well lucky you.

How would it be “illegal” I don’t have a discount card anymore. When they terminate employees, it’s suppoed to deactivate their discount, since it wouldn’t be an active number any more.

It probably worked because you had your old TM number still saved in your T.com account. When you linked that to Wallet, it carried over. Apparently, there's no realtime database check to see if a TM number entered for discount belongs to an active employee.

I spoke with the an old ETL-HR (no longer with the company) and they said that after the termination was completed it would deactivate. My number doesn’t even work in the store I was tied to before hand, or the store I was considering transferring too.

I also have ordered things on Target.com and my discount said invalid. So I’m just confused how it’s back haha

I also have ordered things on Target.com and my discount said invalid. So I’m just confused how it’s back haha

Whoever designed and programmed the function to link TM numbers on the app probably did not anticipate that it would include inactive TMs as well. From what I have seen in HR Zone, many former TMs are still linked to their TM number for many years after termination. Deactivation doesn't separate this connection. Once Target is aware of the issue, they'll fix it to exclude inactive TMs. For now, happy shopping!

So I was at my local Target tonight and used my employee discount...I have the new Target Wallet app and it has my discount saved into it. I also turned my card into the store that I used to work at. I was haven’t worked at Target for almost a year. I also did not retire or have enough time in to keep my discount. Can anybody think of why this is???
Everyone telling you to keep using it...be careful not to use it in your own store. If AP gets wind of it, it *might* technically be theft. I doubt they’d apprehend over it but you never know.

Everyone telling you to keep using it...be careful not to use it in your own store. If AP gets wind of it, it *might* technically be theft. I doubt they’d apprehend over it but you never know.

Huge difference between theft (intentionally stealing or concealing merchandise) and taking advantage of a buggy app.

If we have to honor incorrect ad signs. I don't see why we couldn't honor the app.

Honestly I wouldn’t have said anything even on here and just used it silently. Because other people have said corporate lurks this site so if they see this, now they’ll be aware it’s doing that and fix it. Enjoy it while you can lol

Huge difference between theft (intentionally stealing or concealing merchandise) and taking advantage of a buggy app.

If we have to honor incorrect ad signs. I don't see why we couldn't honor the app.
Taking advantage of anything can still be considered theft. I know what your saying, but that discount is issued on the agreement that your an active or retired employee of Target. Using outside of its agreement can constitute theft, and believe me, if Target has a legal ground to file it, they will.

I don't see Target really pursuing legal action. But where I'm from it would fall under "theft by deception". The problem would be proving the person knew what was going on. If they can prove you were using the discount when you knew you shouldn't have, then you have a problem.

This. Also, Target is the one who didn't fully deactivate the discount capability for inactive TMs AND is the one who linked the TM number against OP's will. OP didn't type the number in themself.
Right, but that’s along the lines of thinking that it’s okay to keep extra money in a paycheck if they made an error in your payroll. Just because they can’t prove that you knew, doesn’t make it right.

Right, but that’s along the lines of thinking that it’s okay to keep extra money in a paycheck if they made an error in your payroll.

Well, corporate once said that it costs them more money to recalculate a new amount than to just pay this person who no call no showed on their last day. They were like, just pay him anyway (much to our disappointment). Basically, they were fine with giving that person an entire shift's worth of free money that he didn't earn and it wasn't even an error. They knew and was like, eh, it was not worth pursuing financially.

I doubt Target will take legal action against OP over their own technology mistake since that will be embarrassing and cost Target more money.

So what is your suggestion then @garbage? Not use the wallet feature because Target messed up?

This.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, did you check your receipt to make sure the discount went through? It seems like a reasonable glitch for Target to automatically put your discount in the app, but the crazy part would be if it actually works.

So what is your suggestion then @garbage? Not use the wallet feature because Target messed up? Pay back the 10%? I mean...c'mon.

No....I’m just making the case that just because someone messed up doesn’t make it right. Believe me, if you read though my posts on here, I am not a corporate player and I dumped all my Target Kool-Aid in the trash. But it’s just ethically wrong.

Just because it’s “only 10%” doesn’t mean mean it’s okay.

No....I’m just making the case that just because someone messed up doesn’t make it right. Believe me, if you read though my posts on here, I am not a corporate player and I dumped all my Target Kool-Aid in the trash. But it’s just ethically wrong.

Just because it’s “only 10%” doesn’t mean mean it’s okay.
Of they didn't force you to bundle it together I'd agree more. Yes its theft, but if you didn't check your receipt you might not even notice. I gave the cashier my tm card after they scanned my cartwheel, only thought about it after it said tm discount already scanned. They delete every other payment code except your tm number. And suck at technology coding.

I'd go in and delete your tm number from the app. Just to be safe.

Of they didn't force you to bundle it together I'd agree more. Yes its theft, but if you didn't check your receipt you might not even notice.

Exactly.

I am usually against theft, fraud, etc. However, in this situation, OP (and other former TMs) didn't have some diabolical plan to achieve the 10% off. They are forced to get 10% off via their TM number because Target linked it for them without their consent. All they wanted was the convenience of the payment card and cartwheel in a barcode.

I may be wrong but I don't think they allow you to delete it. There is a lock symbol next to TM number and pressing the number area doesn't do anything. Another reason why OP shouldn't feel bad. TMs can't even manually remove the number to stop the discount.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, did you check your receipt to make sure the discount went through? It seems like a reasonable glitch for Target to automatically put your discount in the app, but the crazy part would be if it actually works.
this is what i was wondering

your discount can be removed online FWIW

I already tried, you can’t.
Since when was defrauding a business legal? Your lying to receive a discount...that’s fraud. Yea you have a 99% chance that you won’t get caught and nothing will ever happen, but that’s not my point here. My point is that it’s still ethically wrong and probably illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back