Do they really believe?

Does leadership actually believe modernization is a good thing?

I'd say at my store, only one ETL says and thinks it is. She goes on and on about awesome it is, even when wondering through a packed and unpushed backroom.

The other etls and stl may say it is, but they don't think it is.

I know this is subjective.

What leadership says on stage can be totally different than what they say in private. As much as people think all ETLs do is sit on their backside, that is not reality. As hard as they ride the team, they are being ridden just as hard. They have to project a positive image to the team. If they are negative, they will quickly be promoted to guest. I think many ETLs have resumes out and are on the hunt. The pay (which is very competitive) is keeping some hanging on. But never trust a persona you see on stage, ETLs can be masters of deception.
I believe in 2020 you will begin to see a high turnover in ETLS. Spot has modernization in place. They have the worker bees doing the tasks.Next will be trimming the fat a little further up the chain (ETLs) Those mega salaried people will be replaced with starting wage ETLs. Pretty much what they have been doing to the higher paid team leads and team members. Bonuses will become more difficult to achieve. The carrot will still be there, but it will be dangling just a little higher....

What leadership says on stage can be totally different than what they say in private. As much as people think all ETLs do is sit on their backside, that is not reality. As hard as they ride the team, they are being ridden just as hard. They have to project a positive image to the team. If they are negative, they will quickly be promoted to guest. I think many ETLs have resumes out and are on the hunt. The pay (which is very competitive) is keeping some hanging on. But never trust a persona you see on stage, ETLs can be masters of deception.
I believe in 2020 you will begin to see a high turnover in ETLS. Spot has modernization in place. They have the worker bees doing the tasks.Next will be trimming the fat a little further up the chain (ETLs) Those mega salaried people will be replaced with starting wage ETLs. Pretty much what they have been doing to the higher paid team leads and team members. Bonuses will become more difficult to achieve. The carrot will still be there, but it will be dangling just a little higher....

I totally agree. But it's not hard to sift through how leadership says things. We have one ETL who would bow to an idol of modernization if their was one. Of course, I don't know her thoughts. Meanwhile, another ETL is like, meh. My tl and I both agree out stl doesn't approve of it, but just along for the ride.

In general i think its good, but the pog and pricing teams should still be around. Theres way too much for 1 TM to do in the limited amount of time they give us

I also think the backroom team needs to come back. While I enjoyed backstocking (and would often do it myself when we HAD a team back there), there are too many idiot TMs who have no idea how to do it properly...among the other things the backroom team covered that is no longer being covered.

I believe modernization works in my workcenter, I have metrics and NPS scores that prove that. But as far as I know, the GM piece really needs to be fixed.

In general i think its good, but the pog and pricing teams should still be around. Theres way too much for 1 TM to do in the limited amount of time they give us
Yes! The last couple of weeks in market and the forecast for the next few is insane! Or at the very least if we broke up heavy set weeks instead of let’s reset all grocery endcaps in one week on top of 30+ hours of price change NBD.

-_-

Leadership is drooling over the bonuses they’ll receive, because of payroll, and “implementing modernization”.
Even the TLs are in on it.
You get the same bonus weather you come flat or under 1000 hours. No store is cutting to get more money. They’re cutting to remain flat. Being under is bad too. If you don’t use it you lose it next year

its a very good idea that only works with the full support of your store leadership team and kind of falls apart otherwise imo

Nice stock quotes. At what cost? They have treated their employees worse than dogs the last few years. I may be in the minority but I don't believe that this soul less corporation should be patted on the back for the treatment of the people who make them big bucks. Their workers are viewed by them as totally replaceable. Money is not everything. Integrity counts for more in my opinion

Their workers are viewed by them as totally replaceable. Money is not everything. Integrity counts for more in my opinion
I dare say there is not a retail company on the planet that doesn't view their workers, leadership included, as totally replaceable. Same goes for most other jobs as well, I imagine. It's the way of the world.

Integrity is nice but it doesn't keep the lights on - it's all about the money, honey.

I dare say there is not a retail company on the planet that doesn't view their workers, leadership included, as totally replaceable. Same goes for most other jobs as well, I imagine. It's the way of the world.

Integrity is nice but it doesn't keep the lights on - it's all about the money, honey.
Yes and no. A company has to make a profit to stay in business, but at least some companies - not saying Target is one of them - are starting to notice that treating employees well and having integrity in their business practices are important. We're ALL replaceable, including leadership all the way to the tippy top. But a company can have integrity AND make a profit if they're smart. And that can help generate a more loyal customer base too. But of course there are plenty of companies out there where the bottom line and shareholders are still the ONLY considerations for decisions. Systemic change happens like turning an ocean liner - very, very slowly.

Businesses are in business to make money. Most people understand that. However, what this company has done to increase their bottom lines is slimy. 2 short years ago they had a workforce that included older americans. Not so much anymore. Look around how many older team members are still around. I was TOLD to performance out older people and people who were overweight. Yes you read that right TOLD TO DO IT. I have too much integrity to carry out my slimy STLs orders so I walked out.
How many people do you have working at your stores that qualify for insurance? Hard to do that when you used to be scheduled 35 hours a week but now how many people in the stores qualify? I bet its only TLs.
How about just cutting people to 4 hours a week so they would quit, much like Milton in Office Space, it will work itself out.
There are companies that thrive with integrity. Some of them are locally owned, some are much much larger. It makes me sick when people hold up this shithole company as something so much better than Walmart. Its not, it is the same, maybe worse. How many of the team members less than TLs get any of the $$$$ Target is raking in? What they get for sweating their asses off is less and less hours and no benefits. But hey $15 is coming!
Sure $15 an hour at 20 hours a week is pretty good, but if you are realistic you know that their will be less payroll to offset that money and less hours to go around.
Spot needs to realize that you should always treat your employees how you want them to treat your customers.

Back