COVID-19 "Do You Have Face Masks In Stock?"

There has been a panic-driven run on clinical face masks due to the coronavirus. A month ago, we had guests buy up our stock presumably to send to their families/relatives in China. These are out of stock at stores. Hospitals and clinics have short supplies. Manufacturers are trying to keep up with demand.

So this isn't exactly news, but do you still have guests asking you if there's some hidden supply of face masks in the back of the store? Sometimes these guests keep asking questions we can't answer, like "do you know when the next shipment is coming in" or "what other store has face masks in stock?" On a couple of occasions, I've overheard some of these guests shouting at an ETL over this. I don't know how many of these mask-seeking guests are actually shopping for themselves, shipping things to their own overseas relatives, or just hoarding up the stuff to resell at inflated prices on the black market.

Why in God's name can't Target put a sign in that part of the store plainly stating: "Dear Target Guests, due to massive demand associated with the international coronavirus situation, we are temporarily out-of-stock on face masks. We will attempt to obtain face masks as soon as supplies are available. Thank you for your understanding and for shopping at Target"

But that's probably too much too ask of Corporate. If Corporate had the willpower and common sense to actually produce a sign, they'd probably "apologize" to the guests even though there's nothing for Target to apologize for. What we have here is a short-term supply-and-demand crisis caused by an international health crisis, not a situation caused by Target. More importantly, I imagine that the manufacturers of face masks not only are working serious overtime to meet demand, but their contracts require that in an emergency situation their first priority is to supply health care institutions and governmental/military organizations, secondary priority to supply retail stores.

Back during the swine & avian flu scares we had these kits of masks, gloves & sanitizer.
After things calmed down there was a whole endcap of them marked down & I couldn't help but grab an armload when they went down to 75% off.
I still have a few kits left after passing some along to family.

The very last thing Target wants is any sort of panic. Such a sign would feed into fear. Our distribution is designed to keep a steady flow of expected demand fed, and not much more. If every Karen sees that sign and starts fo momentarily panic and buys 10 packs of paper towel/toilet paper and so forth. We will not be able to meet demand.
That sign does nothing more than ignite fear into people who may not have it yet for no reason.

Nobody reads signs. Windy days assholes still leave shopping carts all over the parking lot (20 ft from the corral), customers abuse TMs, fuck 'em/ grab a bottle of Southern Comfort, take a hit and relax.

Interesting points in these responses. That's what I like about The Break Room! 😀
As for fear, that train has already started departing from the station as you can tell from Wall Street's dramatic volatility and decline over the past four days - attributed by nearly all market analysts to concerns over the adverse impact of the coronavirus on corporate profits (supply-chain disruptions and so forth). Add to this increasing media coverage of local cases of coronavirus infection and so forth.

I work in an adjoining area and get asked about them all the time. Sometimes I'll mention that those loose-fitting face masks really aren't going to do anything to keep them from getting sick anyway - far better to practice good hygiene habits and wash their hands.

wish people would stop buying 1 gallon water loading that shit nonstop also clorox reset 3/1

Three days ago, four elderly residents of a Kirkland assisted-living facility passed away from the COVID-19 coronavirus. With Washington State's death toll now at 6, our stores have been filled with panic-motivated buying not only of face masks but of hand sanitizers, sanitary wipes and a bunch of other things.
https://q13fox.com/2020/03/02/king-county-reports-14-confirmed-coronavirus-cases-including-5-deaths/

Panic shopping hits Seattle over coronavirus fears

Not to mention when I google to see what the current counts (infection and death) are the whole first page of results is flooded with USA-related stuff. It's like the news forgot China exists

Here's the counter I rely on:

Last edited:
Not to mention when I google to see what the current counts (infection and death) are the whole first page of results is flooded with USA-related stuff. It's like the news forgot China exists

Someone once told me Google chooses what to show you based on your location. I dont know if I fully believe it, but it's possible. Maybe Asia doesnt see any of the North America news and we dont see theirs thanks to Google's nanny filter.

A lot of people don't realize that face masks barely do anything to prevent obtaining the virus, but they're more helpful for people already infected from spreading it.

Important context with that deaths-to-cases ratio, those are only known cases from testing, so the death rate may be a lot lower. Many people had Coronavirus with only minor symptoms that never even got officially tested. Out of over 700 people on that Japanese cruise ship that had it, only 6 died, which is less than 1%.

Back