Archived Do You Use Your Phone at Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
I mean personally if you say no you're probably lying.

But some time last week I got coached by my TL for having my phone out. I finished my toy zone and was bringing my cart of strays to the boat for sorting (I had another cart up there for my toy go backs) and on the way to the boat I popped out my phone, shot a message to a friend and shoved it in my pocket. Well my TL saw that and said "Really, Kaitii? You're on your phone." And proceeded to tell me this would be a coaching. She even said she wanted to see if I would be written up for it. On my first coaching. Over 30 seconds. She said I was loafing and I wouldn't finish my work because of it (spoiler alert: I finished 30 minutes early that night). The ETL she talked to about it said I wouldn't get written up bcos it's a first time thing (also I'm pretty sure he didn't care lmao)

Now do I know you're technically not supposed to use your phone, so did I do something "wrong?" Absolutely. But what bothers me is that literally the majority (see: every. single. tl. etl. stl. I have literally seen every leadership in my store bust their phone out or just gossip while walking in groups) of the team uses their phone. Not in front of guests, just in those little down time moments like I did. Especially the TL who coached me. Later that night she was walking with the LOD flat out loudly gossiping about someone's relationship. I'm pretty damn sure only one of them could have pushed that empty tub to the back. I talked to my old TL about it (off the clock) and his first response was "you didn't name drop me did you??" and he even said that he thinks it's pretty dumb to coach over that. He knows everyone and their mother uses their phone every now and then during their shift. He also said that it's up to the TL how it's viewed though, which is fair. Except when she does the exact same thing then it's kind of bullshit.

So now I'm wondering how it is at everyone else's stores. Do you guys get away with using your phone during moments of down time? Is it an automatic coaching? Aside from that one TL it looks like the general consensus here is "don't do it in front of a guest and get your shit done and we don't care."

The lesson here is to not get caught if you insist on using your phone for non work related things on the sales floor.

I can use my phone in the back as long as I'm also getting all of my work done and not lingering on the phone for more than a minute or two.

The lesson here is to not get caught if you insist on using your phone for non work related things on the sales floor.

I can use my phone in the back as long as I'm also getting all of my work done and not lingering on the phone for more than a minute or two.
Yeah lesson learned on that front. But that TL is so smol (I'm pretty sure she's like 4ft 9) that I literally can't see her coming and she just sneaks up on you lmao

I've just accepted my fate I can't check my messages when she's working with me.

ASANTS

If I'm on the floor, and I need to answer a text message or phone call, I'll go to the backroom. I normally use a PDA. Barely have access to a MyDevice. If the PDA is unable to help me assist a guest, I will use my smartphone to find information for a product faster. Working in the backroom, only during slow production.

Remember, Guests First.

I don't use my phone that often for non-work-related things, but sometimes when I'm doing fitting room checks I reply to messages and stuff. I try to use it for non-work-related tasks off-stage, though. I like to have my phone with me. MyDevices aren't reliable. I've used my phone to educate guests on Cartwheel, to scan items' locations when doing go-backs when not having a MyDevice, and just to keep track of time for various tasks (Setting alarms for breaks/to return to the fitting room phone to make closing announcements). Also, our store is pretty lenient anyway with it. If it doesn't take away from work productivity dramatically, then no one cares too much. I've seen TLs taking Snapchats selfies together when guests haven't been around.

I listen to music and podcasts pretty much all day at work, aside from when I'm dealing with vendors or talking to coworkers. Or I'll just sit back and check email and do some reading for a few minutes here and there; spread my breaks out across the day since I hardly ever take an actual one anymore. But then again, I work in the back and some days I can go a couple hours at a time where nobody is around.

Our store was mostly pretty good about it when I was there. Cashiers who got caught using their phone on the floor were told to put them in a locker the first time we saw it. If it happened again, it went into the safe until the end of their shift. It was rare I would see others using theirs.

My old store was very strict about it. You really didn't see people using their phones unless it was to help a guest.., guess it was the store's culture. I did use mine once, but my offspring was hurt at a sporting event and at that point we weren't sure if an Urgent Care visit would be necessary. However, I did explain to my TL what was happening and why, and they were fine with it.

Why did you find it necessary to check your phone while you were on stage?

But we use them for dates and cartwheel over there.

I only wish.
These kids were IMing, updating statuses & the like.
Our SBTL lost it when a barista was texting as the shots she pulled darkened & she was about to add them to a drink.

I started working before cellphones so I don't understand emailing and texting while working, save it for your break if it's not an emergency.
When your girlfriend lives across the world 17 hours ahead I will take whatever chance I can to shoot her a message if it isn't hindering my performance.

Also lol what breaks

Here's the thing: spot is paying you to do THEIR stuff on THEIR time. If it's a MUST do check- go to the bathroom. Or wait till break. The only time I have my phone on me is when I have active emergencies going on. And I have let the lod and my TL know. Everyone knows that if they have to get ahold of me they have to call the store. On the occasion I forget to put it in my locker or I take it with me to take a picture of fixtures, it's handy to help guests out since the mydevices are so slow. No one ever says anything about that. But if you are on you phone- yeah we have coachings and write ups.

Yeah I already said I knew all that. More of the point was how other stores feel about it and the hyprocritical it was for a TL to coach someone on something they do all the time

We have a backroom guy who's on it all the time and it's really frustrating because he doesn't do it when the TL is around only does it when they leave.

It's funny how unevenly the rules are applied. Some people get in trouble for using it, some don't. For example, I can watch a flow tm and the PMT at the same time. If the flow tm got their phone out, there would be hell to pay. But the PMT can walk down the aisle, while the store is open, face timing with his kid or wife. Very uneven.

I carry my phone with me working in the backroom since we have a deaf person working back there as well, so I use it to communicate with him. I also use it for flex fulfillment softline items when the PDA provides a potato for an image of the item. I know several people on the early morning team use their phones to listen to music and the ETLs usually don't care as long as work is getting done.

The way I see it is if you HAVE to look at your phone or text someone than go to the bathroom and do it in there.

I've taken a phone call in the middle of huddle while next to my stl...my parents are disabled and we don't live near other family...

...etls have access to text/email each other in their personal devices. So it's hard to nail down if they are texting their bff or the boss.

I check texts off stage if needed once the store opens. Before open I might quickly, but unless it interferes with stuff nobody cares. I listen to music til open so they normally assume I'm changing songs.

I started using my phone at Christmas since the MyDevices are basically extinct. I downloaded the Target app to find things in store and to help guests find them in store or on line. All execs know that most TM do it. If stores had access to a fair amount of MyDevices then the phomes would mot be much of an issue.

It is a big no no at my store. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. The few tms that I have seen using their phone for texting and selfies, are no longer there, for who knows what reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back