Archived Does Target always have two interviews, and always hire in spot if they choose you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interviewed for the seasonal sales floor position. I only had one interview with the team leader for sales floor.

I worked seasonal (flow team) last year, and the interview experience was much different. Last time there was a group of people, going in one after the next, (not a group interview) and there were two interviews, IMMEDIATELY after the first one.

This year, I was the only person there for an interview when I went in, and the team leader interviewing me told me he does things a very particular way (on the job and hiring process) and he was looking for a very particular kind of worker (entirely different from the open hiring in hoards for seasonal work...) and that he had to interview everyone first, and look at them all side by side before choosing who to hire.

I asked him if I did good, he said he never tells anyone before making a hiring decision, but he did say I had an advantage since I worked the seasonal position last year, and that I obviously came prepared to answer the questions.

I am a little concerned about one of the responses to one of the questions, he asked me about a time I had to do something other than my regular job duties, I told him about the time I was asked to work in the backroom for the day, and I was helping an older guy buy handing/tossing him boxes while he was on the ladder stocking them.

Due to how "politically correct" America has become (and Target itself is a really liberal company) I blurted out "NO AGE DISCRIMINATION! I was just saying how he was older and needed help with what he was doing..."

He said "Oh no." (like he was agreeing and understood I wasn't being discriminatory).

But, I'm concerned (I mean, the usual process IS two interviews and hiring on the spot if they want you) that maybe that comment killed my chances.

I meant no discrimination, I was just explaining how the guy needed some help to do his job since he was much older (THAT'S A FACT, not discriminating against him for his age!) and that me working with him was helpful to him (and the company as a whole).

I'm thinking the guy MAY have been telling the truth about how he hires, because it WAS different than last year, I was the only person there at the time, last year was a whole group of people going in after the other.

And he did even say I had an advantage since I worked there before, and that I "obviously came prepared" for the interview.

They did obviously change the way they interview/hire for seasonal this year, so maybe I am still under consideration and not passed on?

Also, when the season ended last year (technically at the beginning of this year) my supervisor told me he think they’d hire me again.

A lot of people remembered me too...

Last edited:
I think you're overthinking it, brah.

Although I will say that Target being a "liberal" company doesn't mean a whole lot at the store level, because every store will have TMs from many different backgrounds and political views. That applies to all companies really.

I can't see that comment having an effect on you getting hired.
Did they say why you didn't get to stay on last year? I've been told they try and keep everyone they like....
Maybe they asked around and someone had something less than flattering to say?

One interview and on the spot mass interviews typically happen for seasonal. Up until recently target required two interviews, one with a TL, and one with an ETL/STL. A lot of store including mine still stick to that until we do our mass hiring event in October when it’s just one right after the other. If you have both interviews and aren’t hired on the spot you likely didn’t get the job but if he told you they need to set up a second then you did good and just need to come back. If he told you we will reach out soon... he’s probably lying. Tons of options.

Tons of options like what?

If I’m passed for this, that’s the third interview in a row I failed!

To add insult to injury, if I’m passed here, it must mean they have a problem with me from last time!

If I’m passsd on, will they at least tell me why if I ask? Because I am having a lot of trouble obtaining and maintaining employment, and I am obviously oblivious to what I am doing wrong, I can’t self improve and get anywhere in life if I’m not even aware of what I’m doing wrong!

And this guy even told me I came prepared AND had an advantage due to working there before! He insisted his own way of doing hiring was interviewing everyone and then comparing side by side, this COULD be true as unlike last year, there wasn’t anyone else there to interview, but most people insist Target (and apparently most businesses in general) hire on spot.

Last year I had two interviews right after the first, and was hired on spot, and I had really weak job history... Also there were a lot of people waiting and going in to interview after the each other.

I’m supposed to be working full time and saving up for an apartment/house rent in at least the next couple or few years, I’m not a child anymore, and my parents struggle with THEIR own financial situation.....

Last edited:
Who still works there that you know? Did you get along with them? They likely asked around about you.
Could anyone ask about the position for you?
At my store they are hiring 5 people a day. They likely won't tell you a reason why because it could set them up for lawsuits.
They might be comparing candidates, but I think it's probably unlikely. Target upped pay to $12 because they were having a hard time finding applicants.
Then again my question would be this...... Why did they even interview you if they weren't interested?

I interview and hire on one interview. If you are turned down, definitely call and ask if someone is willing to speak with you about why. I have spoken to a couple of turn downs about why I said no. The part about helping the older tm will not hurt you.

Same here. Couldn't care less about your comment. Your work history is important. Sounds like he is looking for a specific individual and thats fine. if you dont get it, try another store or the mass event. It took me 3 interviews to get into a employee owned grocery store. At the last one, the interviewer gave me the number for the hq hr so I would stop coming to each event. One call they hooked me up with Stores hr who called me to come in. She asked one question, did the drug test on site and hired me.

Same here. Couldn't care less about your comment. Your work history is important. Sounds like he is looking for a specific individual and thats fine. if you dont get it, try another store or the mass event. It took me 3 interviews to get into a employee owned grocery store. At the last one, the interviewer gave me the number for the hq hr so I would stop coming to each event. One call they hooked me up with Stores hr who called me to come in. She asked one question, did the drug test on site and hired me.

Mass event?

Does Target always have two interviews, and always hire in spot if they choose you?

Let me give you some info about the interview process (if you are not interested, feel free to skip to second part of my reply):

Here is what the process is supposed to be: HR calls an applicant to do a pre-interview phone screen. If the applicant doesn't have any red flags, then HR will have the applicant come in for a 1st interview with a TL. If the TL likes the applicant for the job, then they move the applicant to a 2nd interview with an ETL. If the ETL also likes the applicant for the job, then they will have that person do a meet and greet with the STL. If the STL approves of this applicant, then HR job offers that person.​
ASANTS (some stores may still do the whole shebang) but in the recent years, this process seems to have been shortened. Hard-to-hire store HR teams have been told to schedule interviews for everyone (even those with possible application red flags and bad availability :eek:) who applies because they are in desperate need of applicants. This is a colossal waste of everyone's time since the store has to wait until the interview phase to turn people down. Hiring for seasonal positions (E2E positions excluded) can be done with just one interview with a leader. The STL rarely does meet and greets anymore.​

Back to your main questions:

No, Target does not always have two interviews. Two interviews are still the standard method to hire applicants but the store can choose to do just one interview if that position can be hired for "seasonal" status (not all positions can be seasonal). Whether there were other people also interviewing that day has no relevance on how many interviews that you, yourself, will get. If you didn't see any other applicants, that only means that you were the only person who was scheduled to appear at that timeframe.​
Yes, Target usually hires on the spot if they choose you. If they like you, they want to lock it down. Exceptions could be that your second interviewer was not available on the day that you came in so they ask you to come back on another day. You can usually tell what your chances are based on how clear they were on whether or not you will come back to the store. If they said something definite like, "Come in on Monday at 10:30 AM for your next interview (or job offer)" or "HR will contact you to set up a second interview (or job offer)," then your chances are good. If they said something vague like, "We will be in touch," "You will hear back from us in a couple of days," or "Check your e-mail for the next steps," then your chances are not good.​
With all of that said, it could go either in your particular situation. Your interviewer clearly said that they want to evaluate everyone before deciding. As long as you didn't receive the rejection e-mail, then you are still in the running for the job.​
Mass event?

Yes, there are mass hiring events in which you are able to drop by a store, fill out an application, and get interviewed. Stores should have fliers and posters that advertise these events.

Last edited:
Same here, then they called me a week later... go figure.

up.gif

Typically when I interview someone it is myself and the ETL hr who do it or myself and the STL.. in the same day. Typically I am the one who gives the most input if I want to sign them off if they applied for a front end position.

I mean if you got rejected. theres not much you can do

I hate that attitude, I suffer it myself a lot.

I hate having that defeatist attitude, I want to believe that no matter how hard life gets, and no matter what happens, that there are options to succeed...

I agree with the previous poster's advise....Just move on and apply to another retailer. No big deal, if you have some retail experience, which seems like you have, then someone else will give you a fair shot.

I just had an interview for seasonal work and I was in front of 4 managers, including the Store Manager when all was said and done....I questioned why Target needs to waste the time of 4 managers for make an offer to someone for a temporary seasonal position. God knows they don't care about the skills or experience for this type of hire. One manager and the HR person should be more than enough people to make an offer.

If you don't get the call just put it behind you and see it as valuable experience to something really great down the road.

All the best.

I interviewed with an ETL and got hired after the interview. This seems to be the standard at my store--one interview, with an ETL or TL, whoever happens to be available.

My store is always hiring, though, as we're large and in an area with a ton of other retail options so they're pretty much all about the warm bodies at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back