Archived Does target pay out sick hours in California upon termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They only pay out any of the sick time left in your "Sick Payout" balance. Otherwise, sick hours are not paid out.

Request time off and fill up to your average using sick hours before you leave, if u decide to! Knock down that bank ;)

Sick - no
Vacation - yes.

So if you have sick days - use them before you drop your notice.
I was an idiot and quit without using them all..

I know that they’re kept for up to a year.. other tms at my store were payed out for them though?

Is this something I could take to court

Why? Is the time and aggravation of doing worth what a couple hundred bucks at most?

No I was never paid for sick time on term from California job. Vacation yes, others no unless it was under a Union contract. It was what you either planned for or called it "Not worth the trouble" when you left.

Why? Is the time and aggravation of doing worth what a couple hundred bucks at most?

No I was never paid for sick time on term from California job. Vacation yes, others no unless it was under a Union contract. It was what you either planned for or called it "Not worth the trouble" when you left.
Could I win though? I just don’t find it fair that others in the store were paid out for their sick time upon termination..

I know that they’re kept for up to a year.. other tms at my store were payed out for them though?

You have no case. You have two "banks" of sick time. Sick time, and sick time cash out. If you have nothing in sick time cash out, which you probably didn't, then what money are you entitled to?

I hate how sick time works in California. You're basically encouraged to call out if you stop accruing them after a certain amount, can't cash them out, and can't get paid for them when quitting.

Should have called out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
tumblr_o7uobbo9iJ1s1vzkoo1_400.gif

Last edited:
If your state does not directly dictate pay out for sick leave, then its left to corporate policy which is no pay out.

Its not worth fighting as its a published policy.

No, you don't get paid out in CA.
How do you know that others were paid?
I quit. I did not use mine up. It was less than 20 that I had anyway.

Note to self: if I ever work at a Target in California and plan on suddenly quitting, I should first call in sick every day until my sick pay is gone.

I'm in California and I got all of my sick pay paid out. I still have a copy of my voucher and it shows the payout for all of my sick days paid out.

Last edited:
I'm in California and I got all of my sick pay paid out. I still have a copy of my voucher and it shows the payout for all of my sick days paid out.

I wonder if that might have anything to do with the city you live in
I know some of them have a lot tougher labor laws, like New York City is tougher than New York state.

I would imagine "sick payout" is from an older bank of sick pay and is still paid out, just like "vacation payout."

And it looks like Emeryville and San Francisco have more strict sick pay laws than the state, but I don't know if that means they pay it out or not.

Again, there are two banks of sick time. Sick time...and sick time payout. You probably had hours in sick time payout.

Honestly, I don't remember how many hours I had from the two banks, but I do know the majority of it was at least from the older bank (and I thought my hrtl said all of my sick hours was paid out, but I could be wrong) .

Honestly, I don't remember how many hours I had from the two banks, but I do know the majority of it was at least from the older bank (and I thought my hrtl said all of my sick hours was paid out, but I could be wrong) .

I think they used to pay out a few years ago.

Here is the info straight from the State of California's Department of Industrial Relations (DIR):

Cash Out Sick Pay.PNG

Note to self: if I ever work at a Target in California and plan on suddenly quitting, I should first call in sick every day until my sick pay is gone.

Be careful with doing this because you don't want to leave on bad terms. Do this only if you are 100% okay with not being able to come back to Target for many years because people who call off or no call no show a lot before quitting are often termed as non-rehirable.

It might depend on when you left the company. They changed the sick time policy during 2015 so if you left Target before then, you might have gotten paid out. Otherwise, you don't get paid out for any sick time from the non-payout sick time bank unless HR entered it for you on your time card.

And it looks like Emeryville and San Francisco have more strict sick pay laws than the state, but I don't know if that means they pay it out or not.

Unfortunately, I don't think that they do pay outs either. The differences seem to be more in the "eligibility (who is eligible)," "when and what to use it for," "accrual rate and annual max/usage," and "max accrual." I noticed that some cities have no maximum accrual limit which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
If you recently got paid it, it was because you still had sick payout from before the policy changed.

A way people have been circumventing not being paid out is going on a leave, using up all time away balances and benefits, and then resigning. Especially popular among ETLs who have a lot more to lose.

Question, if a TM is ready to quit, how do you use up nearly 80 hours of sick time...without actually being sick? Like won't they require a note after 3 days?

Question, if a TM is ready to quit, how do you use up nearly 80 hours of sick time...without actually being sick? Like won't they require a note after 3 days?

You start taking days as soon as you start looking for a job, burn that time off. This is something to plan otherwise you have to ok with leaving a lot of that on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back