Does this hurt my chances at becoming a leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of nights ago, I went to the apartment of one of my GM co-workers and she was basically just hosting a get together for some people at work to hang out and have some fun. There was about 10 of us ( a mix of some members from GM, electronics, and the front end) and it was basically just a casual night of video games and adult party games. During the night, we got to the point where we all took turns saying which TM we would fire if we had the chance. I mentioned this one fat little weirdo at guest services who just plain annoys me. He's in his early twenties and he's constantly changing his hair style every week. He'll come in one week with his hair spiked up and dyed purple, then the next week he'll come in with a green mohawk. The word from the front end team members is that this guy genuinely thinks that he's being cool by doing this and he's trying to get himself noticed and get invited to a lot of the parties that we like to hold. On top of that, there's something about his voice that just annoys me. I don't know what it is, but whenever I hear his voice on the walkie, my blood just starts boiling and I want to yell at him to shut up. The bummer is that he's apparently a really hard worker and he's still generally pretty nice to everyone, but I didn't hesitate to say that I would fire him purely because of his voice.

Today I came into work and my HR ETL pulled me into his office. He somehow found out about not only the get together, but also my comments about the weird porky pig look-alike at the front end. He first told me that I need to be more mindful about how I speak of my peers and he said that these comments won't fly from someone who's aspiring to become a TL. He also warned me to tread lightly in terms of the parties and get togethers. He said that I'm still allowed to attend them as a TM, but that I won't be allowed to as a TL. He gave me a whole lecture about being careful of what relationships I form with some TM's and that I need to keep in mind that I'm suppose to lead in a professional and unbiased way. He mostly just kept warning me about "conflicts of interest" but I didn't get coached or written up or anything like that.

The whole conversation just kind of shook me and it has me worried about my development as a GM Leader. I'm worried mostly about my comments towards the weirdo at guest services and I really hope that my SD doesn't find out about them. Does this whole incident sound like it'd be enough to derail my shot at a lead role?

I'm going to be blunt: Yes.

That you can't even post this summary without continuing to call this person a weirdo and make fun of his appearance, speaks for itself. Everything your HR explained to you was spot on.

Based on your many threads on this same topic every few days, I'd say you have a lot of personal growth to work on before you'll be ready to develop into a leader.

You just told us that YOUR ETL clearly said it would ! why are you asking here after you were told YES it will to your face !
IF you still have any chance left — you should NOT attend out of work parties and you should NEVER make poor comments about ANY tm
- no matter how you feel.

PS. If your HR knows, then 99.9% chance your SD knows

The fact someone at the party told HR is a huge red flag 🚩 that you shouldn't hang out with people from work. As signing lady said sounds like you aren't mature enough to lead. It's easy to have the skill but to motivate peers to meet metrics is another thing? Can you honestly see yourself having to motivate the kid at GS to sign people up for red cards? I'm not say ask or I'll fire you kinda thing. Actually spend time with him and talk to him. I think you should consider personal growth before even thinking about being a leader

You just told us that YOUR ETL clearly said it would ! why are you asking here after you were told YES it will to your face !
IF you still have any chance left — you should NOT attend out of work parties and you should NEVER make poor comments about ANY tm
- no matter how you feel.

PS. If your HR knows, then 99.9% chance your SD knows
I'm not going to just stop attending parties. This Saturday is another party and it's going to be the biggest one yet. A bunch of people are pitching in for an Airbnb home and allegedly a whole bunch of people across our store are going to be attending. I'm not missing this.

Last edited:
A couple of nights ago, I went to the apartment of one of my GM co-workers and she was basically just hosting a get together for some people at work to hang out and have some fun. There was about 10 of us ( a mix of some members from GM, electronics, and the front end) and it was basically just a casual night of video games and adult party games. During the night, we got to the point where we all took turns saying which TM we would fire if we had the chance. I mentioned this one fat little weirdo at guest services who just plain annoys me. He's in his early twenties and he's constantly changing his hair style every week. He'll come in one week with his hair spiked up and dyed purple, then the next week he'll come in with a green mohawk. The word from the front end team members is that this guy genuinely thinks that he's being cool by doing this and he's trying to get himself noticed and get invited to a lot of the parties that we like to hold. On top of that, there's something about his voice that just annoys me. I don't know what it is, but whenever I hear his voice on the walkie, my blood just starts boiling and I want to yell at him to shut up. The bummer is that he's apparently a really hard worker and he's still generally pretty nice to everyone, but I didn't hesitate to say that I would fire him purely because of his voice.

Today I came into work and my HR ETL pulled me into his office. He somehow found out about not only the get together, but also my comments about the weird porky pig look-alike at the front end. He first told me that I need to be more mindful about how I speak of my peers and he said that these comments won't fly from someone who's aspiring to become a TL. He also warned me to tread lightly in terms of the parties and get togethers. He said that I'm still allowed to attend them as a TM, but that I won't be allowed to as a TL. He gave me a whole lecture about being careful of what relationships I form with some TM's and that I need to keep in mind that I'm suppose to lead in a professional and unbiased way. He mostly just kept warning me about "conflicts of interest" but I didn't get coached or written up or anything like that.

The whole conversation just kind of shook me and it has me worried about my development as a GM Leader. I'm worried mostly about my comments towards the weirdo at guest services and I really hope that my SD doesn't find out about them. Does this whole incident sound like it'd be enough to derail my shot at a lead role?
Anything an ETL knows, you can bet the SD knows, and when the ETL-HR pulls you into his office to have this type of little chat, you are considered to have been coached whether they tell you that specifically or not.

Well
Let’s put it this way if I was your leadership you would never become a lead . You hate someone purely for the way they look . I dislike you for your ugliness that you have inside of you . I hope your parents never find out what an ugly character you have ,they would be very disappointed . One can hope

Well
Let’s put it this way if I was your leadership you would never become a lead . You hate someone purely for the way they look . I dislike you for your ugliness that you have inside of you . I hope your parents never find out what an ugly character you have ,they would be very disappointed . One can hope
I don’t hate him for his looks.

I hate him for his voice.

And I couldn’t care less what my parents think. We haven’t spoken in nearly two years.

I don’t hate him for his looks.

I hate him for his voice.

And I couldn’t care less what my parents think. We haven’t spoken in nearly two years.
You will NEVER become a leader if your leadership team is like all the target leaders i know. You sir are a culture problem and nobody wants a culture problem on their leadership team. You aren’t even what target’s modern ideal TM is because you’re hating on an individual solely for them being them. Get with the times

Oh, for fucks sake.
Do you think you are Cheyenne in Superstore and can say anything you want about people without it having any effect?
Hate to tell you this ain't a TV show, it's real life.
Words matter, attitudes matter, how you fucking treat people matters.
I ran kitchen brigades that included people who had been in jail multiple times, punk rockers, coke heads, drama queens, and newly released mental patients.
Fuck your snotty attitude.
Everyone has something to contribute.
If you are a half way decent boss people will work their asses off for you.
With your perspective and attitude, nobody will ever want to work for you.
And I'm willing to bet it won't be too long before they won't be inviting you to any parties either.

I really can't decide if you are just trolling with these posts.
It hardly seems possible that someone could be like this otherwise.

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Boi bye

What the fuck is wrong with you. No seriously, WHAT is your damn problem? You're a certified troll at this point, and everything you post just pisses me off.

Like for fuck's sake, GO AWAY.

You're not leadership material, and you should've realized by now that your leaders are never going to promote you, not in that store. You have a mercurial temper; you're insensitive and immature, probably have some kind of personality disorder, and overall, you're a c***.

At this point everything echoes, and you get the same shit thrown at you over and over as well as the same advice given to you over and over. You're literally just bored at this point and making these posts for entertainment because there are drama hoes thirsty for tea who literally RUN to yo ass every time you post here.

At some point, it just becomes a massive waste👏 of👏 time 👏👏👏👏👏

Oh, for fucks sake.
Do you think you are Cheyenne in Superstore and can say anything you want about people without it having any effect?
Hate to tell you this ain't a TV show, it's real life.
Words matter, attitudes matter, how you fucking treat people matters.
I ran kitchen brigades that included people who had been in jail multiple times, punk rockers, coke heads, drama queens, and newly released mental patients.
Fuck your snotty attitude.
Everyone has something to contribute.
If you are a half way decent boss people will work their asses off for you.
With your perspective and attitude, nobody will ever want to work for you.
And I'm willing to bet it won't be too long before they won't be inviting you to any parties either.

I really can't decide if you are just trolling with these posts.
It hardly seems possible that someone could be like this otherwise.
At this point I have to vote troll.

In case anyone wants to read the op other threads.

Forget Target, this kind of behavior/attitude is unacceptable in any workplace environment, or even a school setting. I wouldn't worry about not being able to go to the parties you've previously attended because based on what you've posted, no store's leadership would ever promote you to being a TL.

If you ever want to get into a management position, it HAS to be somewhere other than Target. You've already burned that bridge and if I were you, I'd consider therapy/empathy training or something in order to become better at management and leadership.

Hahahahaha I love these threads. They never disappoint.

You will never be a TL. If your previous threads weren't enough to prove that, then this one takes it over the edge. Keep posting, though.

Your leaders will still string you along because 1) they don't have the balls to tell you that you will never be a TL and/or 2) they want to use this as motivation to get you to try to improve. They're worried that you'll have a bad attitude forever when you're working if they tell you the truth. There isn't much of an upside to giving you honest feedback in this particular situation.

Your ETL-HR absolutely documented that conversation. It wasn't a corrective action, but they put it in Workday. If they didn't at least make some note of it somewhere (in an email or something), they should be put on a corrective action lol.

Spot is taking notes about you. Your review maybe impacted.
I seriously doubt that. We have a Style TL who occasionally attends our parties and I’m fairly certain that both of our Front End TL’s are attending Saturday’s party. I don’t think the ETL’s are the private investigators that they think they are.

I'm not going to just stop attending parties. This Saturday is another party and it's going to be the biggest one yet. A bunch of people are pitching in for an Airbnb home and allegedly a whole bunch of people across our store are going to be attending. I'm not missing this.
I don't think target "encourages" fraternity between employees. Good way to get transferred if not fired cause also it sounds like your store has a mole. Who could have fun knowing someone s looking for Monday morning HR material.

Oh boy. I saw the title of this thread and thought someone was necroposting. Nope its just cartoonpenguin with the usual antics.

If HR had a convo with you about this, then there's a permanent documented note in your workday that every ETL, SD and HRBP/ETL can see.

And now if you ever apply all the notes about you screaming at people, throwing symbols and calling people fat little weirdos with annoying voices are front and center for review before they ever consider you.

You aren't moving up anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back