Archived Does your store let you take keys out the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store doesn't seem to care i noticed. I mean, people are just walking in and out with Electronic keys. We don't have a problem with them being accounted for and I personally don't care too much but it seems like the type of thing that shouldn't be happening

I do it purposely just to scare guests as they walk out when the beeper goes off. It is funny, to look at them and smile........ pause for 3 seconds... and say... "It's me". :)

When I used to go outside for my breaks I took the keys with me. I don't do it anymore. We only have three sets, and one has gone missing before, so they are being a little more strict with them now.

I do for breaks unless the person covering my break needs them, but typically if I have GSTL keys, whoever is at the service desk has no need for them so I'll keep them rather than put them away and then have to bug someone to get them back out of the key box for me.

I also certainly go out and get carts from time to time, and keep keys on me when doing that.

According to the offical rules. You can get written up. But it really isn't inforced. If a ETL doesn't like you and wants to get rid of you...they could use that to get you.

According to the offical rules. You can get written up. But it really isn't inforced. If a ETL doesn't like you and wants to get rid of you...they could use that to get you.

I would be more likely to get written up for handing keys to a random cashier when going on break, especially if they misused them.

I could bug a LOD to come lock up the keys, and then bug them to unlock them after my break, but they'd probably get tired of doing so and suggest I just held onto them.

If I'm leaving the front end, I will leave my keys with a trusted cashier, or the LOD covering my break/lunch (yeah, right).

I have my own equipment keys but I take electronics keys when I forget to leave them in a locker.

Just a warning - key management infractions are automatic Final Warning, sometimes Term. We put a seasoned TL on FW for leaving an electronics key on top of the lock box in Guest Services. Then the TL was termed for leaving an electronics key on the Wave and walking away. Most stores don't care but if you are not liked, simple things that are usually swept under the rug can get you fired. An ETL was termed for losing his store key. Both of these people were hated by the majority of the ETL team. I actually liked the TL and thought what happened was wrong.

The reason some Targets care more is because these keys can open fixtures at other retail stores. AP doesn't want these keys getting into the wrong hands because you can more easily boost electronics and other spider wrapped products if you have the key for them.

It's fine to keep doing what the store allows, just don't be surprised if you find yourself on the wrong side of corporate policy.

Do any of you here have any idea how much it costs to re-core all of the locks in a store? That's why key infractions are such a big deal.

Do any of you here have any idea how much it costs to re-core all of the locks in a store? That's why key infractions are such a big deal.

Thousands - they literally have to replace every single lock if you lose a store key. Our ETL-AP was adamant about keeping our keys secured and always warned other ETLs of the consequences of losing it.

We had an incident a couple of weeks back where a key got lost. I reported it to ap who basically didn't care and said we would just order another one. I reported that attitude to my ETL who talked to the STL who gave him the day to figure it out or we were recoring the store. Amazingly enough, he found the key within a couple of hours after he realized he was the idiot that misplaced it (it was secure the entire time, thankfully).

@jb08045 - LODs at our store have a key log we sign at the beginning of each shift. If a key is missing - bad luck for previous LOD.

GSA?GSTL will give me their keys if they go on break. one day I couldn't find them. Head of AP was standing near me and asked what I was looking for - I said a pen I liked. I didn't want to worry him until I checked with the GSA who had just left and new for sure if they were missing or not.. It ended up she had them and handed them into tsc before she left instead of giving them to me.. It was a scary few minutes for me.

I sometimes want to laugh about how they think the keys we have in the front are so important. I mean, the key for the money the gstl handles isn't all that much, and the key for jewelry display isn't much merchandise either. - ETL's give away at least triple the amount to guests in markdowns and free merchandise on a daily basis..

For electronics at my store, they give the keys to the person who comes to cover the break/lunch so if anything is sold we can get the item out. Then take the keys again once they're back.

Yeah, I used to give cashiers keys so they could do spider wraps for me. But I've cut way down on that because they have gotten way too reckless for my liking. Seriously, I should not find the keys sitting on the large bag holder base two days after they were given to a cashier.

Zinnia, if someone walks off with that cash key, they have access to that unmanned cash drawer every single day until they are caught and prosecuted. And if you're lucky, they haven't made a billion copies for their friends to try to use at other stores (or your store until the store is recored). We don't give away that much in markdowns each day, but we still make more on markdowns than we do on cash walking out the door. And like someone else said...recoring the store is expensive. And if someone gets that magnetic key, they have access to spider wrapped items at pretty well any store.

It's the "it's no big deal if these keys wander off" attitude is the reason I am extremely picky about who gets my keys when I'm on break.

The idiot who lost one set of our electronics keys one fourth quarter got lucky...since no one fessed up to it and no one cared enough to figure out who did it, they got off scot free. I really hope we don't have that issue again.

I once gave them to a seasoned GSTM when I took my lunch. When I got back and asked her where they were, she insisted that I never gave them to her! Luckily ap was there, and pulled the footage and found she had left them at photo. She still insisted that I never gave them to her, even with the video footage showing otherwise. I have never forgotten that day and she has never gotten my keys since.

Key stories at my store...

The ETL-AP that was working there when I started was termed for losing his keys. Shame, because other than that I liked him.

I once had to get the ring sizer out for a guest (tool to size fingers for rings). It's kept in a locked drawer at the jewelry counter, but I had to ask 3 TLs and 2 ETLs because we so rarely use it that no one knew where it was.

While backing up one, I found a key to the Wave that someone left at a cash register, chillin on the coupon printer. Don't know who it was, but I suspect it was a guy who is trained for CA/backroom.

I covered an electronics break one night, and so I had the electronics TM's keys while he went on break. Then TPS came up to me and asked me to borrow the keys to check on something, so I let him (I was also zoning toys, which faces electronics at our store).
I'm kind of keeping an eye on TPS, because the keys are still my responsibility. And about a minute later, he gets a call on his walkie from ETL-AP to meet him and just walks away. And he left the keys in the cabinet that contains the iPads.
Just, chillin there. Didn't tell me, just walks away, leaves the keys there in the hopes that I figure it out. And the electronics TM took a 20 minute break so I was late clocking out, because this was the end of my shift :mad:

Also the other day I found a pair of keys while zoning HBA. They looked like those simple little keys that go to a diary you get when you're like, ten, but I showed them to the ETL-SL and she said they might belong to AP.

if I find store keys , who should I give them to? A week ago I found the closing srtl keys in the bailer. I thought of turning them into the apetl but I don't really want to make enimies so I hung onto them for about an hour until I saw the srtl secretly panicking. He was so happy that he bought me a pizza. Something tells me thought I should of noticed an etl

It depends on how much you like that SrTL. I happen to like ours, so I would give them back. If you honestly don't know who they belong to, then turn them in to ap. But remember someday at this or another job, you will make a mistake that someone else will catch. How would you want that someone else to treat you?

I once took electronics keys home when I worked at a store a little over an hour away from home before. I called to let them know they were safe and sound and to not worry. They insisted I bring them back right away. I told them I would bring them the next time I worked. They threatened to write me up but they never did.

My store had tags on our key sets that set off the anti-theft alarms at the doors, so you couldn't really walk out with them. My old BRTL however used to have baler and crown keys ordered for full time BR guys who looked like they were gonna stick around a while, so we'd have our own personal equipment set for our use. Made working dayside BR so much easier without having six or seven BRTM's fighting over three sets of keys. That stopped (unfortunately, if you ask me) when we got a new STL and ETL-log.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back