Don't ask Don't tell has been repealed

For the record, I'm a straight male, but Barry Goldwater said it best.

You don't have to be straight to be a soldier, you just have to be able to shoot straight.

Bringing openly gay people in will be a bit of a leadership challenge but no more so than racial integration was.

OP
OP
Formina Sage

Formina Sage

Crown stacker champ
Staff member
Administrator
Many people who are outspoken about the repeal are going to have to remember that gay men and women have been serving us admirably for decades before now - in the 90's, DADT was more of a temporary measure to allow gays to enlist; they just had to lie about it.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
And to the TM in the breakroom who thought it was necessary to inform the circle of us who were talking about the repeal, that the USA would loose the next war and it would be our fault ...
a very large screw you.

Last edited:
And to the TM in the breakroom who thought it was necessary to inform the circle of us who were talking about the repeal, that the USA would loose the next war and it would be our fault ...
a very large screw you.
That goes back to the whole shoot straight thing.

Which gender you prefer to climb in bed with hasn't a thing to do with it.

Why does it matter if you're gay or straight in the military? I don't think DADT was necessary in the first place. Your sexual preference should have no bearing on military service. You don't join the military to have sex, you join to defend our country.

If I was a gay male, which I am not, even without DADT, I wouldn't go around the barracks flaunting my sexuality. I don't see why anybody would want to, anyway. That would be asking for trouble.

Americans will now have to face the reality that gay people can indeed be badass killing machines.
In a foreign land far - far away - a long - long time ago ---- I was based out of Dodge City ( look it up spot
) as a DG/CC E-7

I knew a few supply personal / ordnance personal / technical personal / helicopter pilots / medical personal - even everyday grunts ----- all

And a few - as you kids say "Stone Cold Killers"

My attitude and opinion has always been "I never asked ( it's none of my business ) ---- If you wanna tell me something - it's in the vault" :secret::secret:

When the teasing started - With the person present or not - My favorite saying was - "Why cant you morons just let it be --- you life could be in his / her hands one day"

If you wanna put your pee-pee in someones ass --- I couldn't care less -- just not my ass

( but a good dinner goes a long way :nose2: )

In my store the Gay / Lesbian community ( 3 or 4 I think :dance3: ) Call me their favorite breeder

I take it as a compliment

Why does it matter if you're gay or straight in the military? I don't think DADT was necessary in the first place. Your sexual preference should have no bearing on military service. You don't join the military to have sex, you join to defend our country.

If I was a gay male, which I am not, even without DADT, I wouldn't go around the barracks flaunting my sexuality. I don't see why anybody would want to, anyway. That would be asking for trouble.
I sort of agree with you.

Even with the repeal of DADT, if you're a gay man in the US military and you're flaunting it, you're just asking for trouble.

They might not be able to kick you out for being gay, but if they want to, they can find plenty of other things to bring down on you.

That said, in the days before DADT, they used to flat out ASK you if you were a homosexual and if you answered yes, then you were disqualified from military service.

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
Guess they are afraid they will rape the other guys there or if somehow if one of the other guys found out they have a gay guy amoung them they may turn the guns on them,

It's not quite that simple...

As I said before, you don't have to be straight to be a solider, you just have to be able to shoot straight.

That said...

I don't think a female soldier who doesn't know me from adam would want to jump in a communal shower with me and yet male soldiers are being told they have to shower with other male soldiers who are openly gay.

I hope I'm explaining myself reasonably well here.

I've no problem with gays or lesbians and for the most part, I don't think it's a 'lifestyle choice."

They no more chose that than I chose to like girls.

At the same time, I don't want to shower with a guy who's checking me out while we're in the shower and yes, I've had that happen.

I don't think a female soldier who doesn't know me from adam would want to jump in a communal shower with me and yet male soldiers are being told they have to shower with other male soldiers who are openly gay.

At the same time, I don't want to shower with a guy who's checking me out while we're in the shower and yes, I've had that happen.
Any man who does this is asking for trouble, plain and simple. Any reasonable person, regardless of sexual preference should know this.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Then there was the Republican debates where the audience felt it was OK to boo a gay active duty soldier who asked about DADT.
Even worse was Rick Santorum's attempt to play to that audience with his answer.
His answer was a frothy mixture of ... well you can google it.
But the worse thing of all was that not one of the other candidates was willing to call the audience on their bullsh1t.

Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqFkbLkST4&feature=player_embedded