Archived Dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know few of the TM at my work wear black pants. I also noticed some people on our flow team wear jeans. I'm pregnant and all my khakis are not fitting so until pay I was just wondering are jean type ok for a 4am schedule I'm willing to bring a pair of khaki to switch into when we open (I'll have to probably throw on my jacket since I can't really button my pants.) Anyone else know if it's a ok thing to do?

That's up to your store. Overnight could wear jeans at my super, but at my 4 am store everyone wears khakis.

Our newest version of the Handbook says that solid color pants are fine, but khaki is preferred.
You now have two choices....

1) talk w/ HR to see what is acceptable.
2) wear any solid color pants and wait to see if they say anything.

Where do you get your skirts at?

Various places, but I actually get most of my khaki anything at Goodwill. I just make sure they have pockets and are at least knee length. If I do find something good for work (nothing that is too fitted) I will buy a couple of them. When I worked on the trailer (unloader) I wore skorts, but they are generally too short for the salesfloor. I was the first one to wear a skirt at our store and now it is quite common. The men complained when we wore capris and skirts, but we told them that nothing said they couldn't. One guy wore a kilt one day, but I think he took some heat from the other guys and hasn't since. The flow guys will roll their pants to capri length. We have not had anyone wear a color other than khaki and our store is very lenient right now on shades of red. They do require that no bellies show and that a shirt have sleeves that at least cover the shoulder. Too bad they can't regulate that they aren't so tight that the rolls can be counted.

Question about capri pants. I have a tattoo around my ankle. Nothing vulgar/inappropriate. Am I still allowed to wear capri pants? I may be getting trained on bike building soon and want to keep a little cooler when hanging out in the backroom on hot & humid days.

Question about capri pants. I have a tattoo around my ankle. Nothing vulgar/inappropriate. Am I still allowed to wear capri pants? I may be getting trained on bike building soon and want to keep a little cooler when hanging out in the backroom on hot & humid days.

Since I have my medic alert bracelet tattooed on one arm and a tribal sleeve on the other, neither of which was covered by my shirts or led to my dismissal, I don't think there should be an issue.

Last edited:

Since I have my medic alert bracelet tattooed one arm and a tribal sleeve on the other, neither of which was covered by my shirts or led to my dismissal, I don't think there should be an issue.

Ok thanks! Will have to go hunt for khaki capris now and give it a shot.

The capri thing depends on your store. Since it isn't in the handbook, it's open to interpretation. And our HR said no capris. And I suspect if we tried the skirt idea (even if it is allowed) we would be sent home for the day. There are hotter places to work, but our store is always so hot even the guests complain, so summer is not great fun at my store.

I don't know about skirts but I know they have to allow dresses.
We've had woman who for religious reasons don't wear pants, so dresses were a must.

It's not only dresses. Most of the religions that forbid women from wearing pants allow skirts. There have been a few religious TMs in my store who have worked in skirts.

my store doesn't allow capri's :angry: Last year it was ungodly hot in our store at the point people were actually passing out at the front lanes ( no joke) and someone said can we please wear capri pants?? My STL said no it isn't brand!!!!! Ugh.... I hate that word. I can only imagine what i'll be like this year when it gets warm again and I know once again people will ask can we wear capris and the STL will once again say not brand:boredom: On the plus side the break room is air conditioned lol.

my store doesn't allow capri's :angry: Last year it was ungodly hot in our store at the point people were actually passing out at the front lanes ( no joke) and someone said can we please wear capri pants?? My STL said no it isn't brand!!!!! Ugh.... I hate that word. I can only imagine what i'll be like this year when it gets warm again and I know once again people will ask can we wear capris and the STL will once again say not brand:boredom: On the plus side the break room is air conditioned lol.

Wow! Has ANYBODY talked to your SFT about fixing your AC? If nothing is being done or nothing that has been done has proven to be effective, then they should requisition bottled water and/or Gatorade to keep the team hydrated.

our store was super hot, now that we have pfresh its nice to just walk over there and cool off lol. we are allowed capris and skirts and a lot of our backroom guys roll their pants up like capris because it is so very hot in the BR. the handbook makes mention of shorts being allowed for the 4am, i know a few tm's that mentioned that they were going to wear shorts and see if they could get away with it. so far they have only been all talk.

I know that was last year ( not sure if it was ever fixed) Hopefully this year it will be cooler in the store. Right now it is cool in the store because we still have nice weather not extremely hot weather but once we get some hotter weather hopefully the AC is fixed!

If the temperature in your store is bad enough for people to be fainting, OSHA should be called or an anonymous tip left, as that is an unsafe working environment. They wont take BS or lies from your store leadership, trust me.

I don't know about skirts but I know they have to allow dresses.
We've had woman who for religious reasons don't wear pants, so dresses were a must.

Yes, but I guarantee they won't allow them for those of us just trying to stay cool.

I was under the impression that the "shorts before the store opens" rule was company-wide. This rule requires those team members participating to change into appropriate attire before the store opens on break, so that they are not using company time to prepare for the day.

Otherwise, as many have said, capris during the day is a store by store policy. In the store I am working at, capris and skirts are acceptable for female team members only, while shorts are extended for cart attendants of either gender. We also observe the policy of non-khaki solids to include only black non-denim pants, though if you pay attention many of our team members wear slacks that are more towards grey than khaki, in my opinion. Including black as an option is quite fortunate for teams that are exposed to liquids, stains, and dirt, such as Target Cafe and Starbucks.

I know many of you work in stores that are many miles away from another store but I'm curious how does an STL handle a challenge concerning something like dress code when a store close by allows the offending item of clothing?

I know many of you work in stores that are many miles away from another store but I'm curious how does an STL handle a challenge concerning something like dress code when a store close by allows the offending item of clothing?

Just makes the point more evident that it's probably left completely to the STLs discretion. Perhaps one may take dress code very seriously, and want their team to look more professional, rather than have the appearance of a laid back atmosphere.

You can't spit without hitting a Target around here...we simply don't pay attention to what other stores are doing for dress code, honestly. And the STL simply has to point out that it's their store and that's how they are interpreting it. Last year our ETL-HR went so far to claim to have called corporate who said that capris were a no-no and they would be making sure other stores followed suit. Now, I don't believe it for a second that she made that phone call or the conversation went that way, but it also ended the conversation/argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back