I'm Lost! Drive ups

Is anyone else dying because of drive ups? We had 8 people picking and running out drive ups for almost 3 hours straight yesterday. It’s been INSANITY over there so I am trying to get some pointers from anyone willing to give them so that I can take them to my SETL. I really would like to have a SD running smoother with less mistakes being made but so far all our ideas have fallen flat. Team members are extremely stressed out, orders are being given to wrong folks, and orders aren’t getting processed completely leading to having missing items when we do RTS.

ALL BAD - HELP!!
Please and thank you :)

Have at least 2 team members stay outside and only process 2 -3 team members only running orders out 3-4 team members only picking 1 team member preferably a leader writing down orders that have been picked and telling pickers what to pick.

Have at least 2 team members stay outside and only process 2 -3 team members only running orders out 3-4 team members only picking 1 team member preferably a leader writing down orders that have been picked and telling pickers what to pick.

We don’t have the coverage to do that honestly. We have only 1 SD scheduled from 8-4 (usually me) and 1 SD from 4-close. Then my team lead pretty much stays over there helping me her entire shift then she usually pulls 1 from the front (we are scarcely covered there as well) So we have three front lane folks at SD which isn’t enough so we end up having to call other leads/leaders to help us too which usually ends in frustration from them that they are having to leave their work stations and judgy looks and comments about how we are drowning and can’t keep up with everything on our own.

We have 3 people now at GS just running bags and also doing OPUs. It’s a constant loop...definitely getting my exercise!
See I wish my HR would give us more scheduled there. We are all good at what we do, but we just don’t have enough bodies consistently, especially during the peak times

If we have a bag mixup, then we are basically letting them have those items for free bc it was our error and we don’t want stuff coming back into the store bc virus. We are being super careful now though.

Honestly most of our issues are OPU not locating stuff correctly and then we can’t find it.

If we have a bag mixup, then we are basically letting them have those items for free bc it was our error and we don’t want stuff coming back into the store bc virus. We are being super careful now though.

Honestly most of our issues are OPU not locating stuff correctly and then we can’t find it.
Have you guys pretty much just tossed the 2 minute time window out the door in the hopes of accomplishing better accuracy?

See I wish my HR would give us more scheduled there. We are all good at what we do, but we just don’t have enough bodies consistently, especially during the peak times
Just for clarity - your HR schedules 3 people 8-4 and 3 people 4-close to do SD and OPU?

Last edited:
No....we are IGS so we usually have 2-3 people there anyway and whoever is trained/most skilled works there. Basically I decide on a given day who will be working with me at GS...which is now only dedicated to DU/OPUs.

IMO there’s little excuse for bag mix up. Missing items can happen but there is no reason to not A) look at name on bag (takes half a second) and B) asking the guest to verify items. That should ALWAYS be happening.
Missing items happens to the best of us but bag mixups should not be happening

Of course they shouldn’t be happening but mistakes are a possibility when there is SO much chaos. In the ONE case we had, the bags were in the same location with very similar names.

And if a guest is opening their trunk for you to put in the bags, there’s not gonna be any guest Verifications going on.

IMO there’s little excuse for bag mix up. Missing items can happen but there is no reason to not A) look at name on bag (takes half a second) and B) asking the guest to verify items. That should ALWAYS be happening.
Missing items happens to the best of us but bag mixups should not be happening

We are having so many drive up/pick up orders that there are literally like 4-8 bags in most if not all of our holding Wacos. I get that there shouldn’t be any bag mix ups or missing bags but with the alert honking for hours back to back with new orders to be carried out that each have 3-5 + bags each and only 1 or 2 people manning SD... things can get overwhelming and confusing which is what causes these things to happen when otherwise they wouldn’t.

Last edited:
I mean of course mistakes happen especially when busy. But mixed orders should not be a common mistake. It takes two seconds to look in the bag and back at the mydevice.

trust me I get it’s busy. Honestly at this point we should just be throwing the timer out the window to ensure guestsdon’t have to come back for their correct items.

I mean of course mistakes happen especially when busy. But mixed orders should not be a common mistake. It takes two seconds to look in the bag and back at the mydevice.

trust me I get it’s busy. Honestly at this point we should just be throwing the timer out the window to ensure guestsdon’t have to come back for their correct items.

It is not happening excessively, just more than I’m comfortable with seeing as I’m kind of a perfectionist. Hence the reason I was reaching out here in hopes of getting some new tips and ideas on how to handle the uptick in drive ups while still being provided next to no coverage to do it.

It is not happening excessively, just more than I’m comfortable with seeing as I’m kind of a perfectionist. Hence the reason I was reaching out here in hopes of getting some new tips and ideas on how to handle the uptick in drive ups while still being provided next to no coverage to do it.
my only tip I can provide is while ideally both ™ and guest should verify order contents, at least *one* of them should. Forget the timer— what are they gonna do, cut our hours? Not when the volume is this high.

We re-opened a couple of our holiday overflow stockrooms because the two or three orders per bin was causing so many errors. Our ETL SE got the shelves two Christmases agoWe haven’t resorted to using the extra ETL office spaces again.We’ve been very lucky to have enough coverage During a lull to try to keep RTS cleared out and open up some locations.

Definitely look in the bags To check over the order and repeatedly stress to fulfillment (especially the newbies) that stickers are cheaper than effed up orders. Encourage them to Sticker the heck out of those orders.

Our crew today is very good at communicating when we have an order together, and we make sure we have every bag pulled. Some SD crews I work with, we make one person pull an entire order and be responsible to check it. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. I guess That’s a judgment call based on who’s working.

Today’s crew, we worked together and made sure we had one person for OPU inside and to help pull and stage the drive ups. This person stayed back and pushed carts or handed Orders so runners could confidently take that order out.

Our store max dropped from 580 to 250 so we also had someone pulling orders for guests who couldn’t come into the store. We sometimes had a runner to take those orders over. It’s just Been crazy so all we can do is assign tasks and work together. For us, the SD opener and ETL have usually decided who will be doing what jobs.
HTH

Back