Drug Test Question

(I’m currently a normal TM) So I applied at a near by store for a SFTL position. I got a call back and talked to my TL about it and he said I should definitely talk to ETL-HR before setting up an interview, because she could give me more guidance on what steps I need to take. Anyways after that bit of backstory here’s my real concern. I wasn’t drug tested in when I was originally hired, and was smoking at the time. I continue to smoke, and drug testing hadn’t crossed my mind until now since it wasn’t a problem last time. So my question is, should I be worried about a drug test if I do get offered the position?

TL;DR - I’m currently trying to get promoted to SFTL from TM and am wondering if I should be worried about a drug test, if I do get offered a position? (Was never given one prior to being hired previously)

(I’m currently a normal TM) So I applied at a near by store for a SFTL position. I got a call back and talked to my TL about it and he said I should definitely talk to ETL-HR before setting up an interview, because she could give me more guidance on what steps I need to take. Anyways after that bit of backstory here’s my real concern. I wasn’t drug tested in when I was originally hired, and was smoking at the time. I continue to smoke, and drug testing hadn’t crossed my mind until now since it wasn’t a problem last time. So my question is, should I be worried about a drug test if I do get offered the position?

TL;DR - I’m currently trying to get promoted to SFTL from TM and am wondering if I should be worried about a drug test, if I do get offered a position? (Was never given one prior to being hired previously)
Yes, target drug tests TLs and higher up.

Kids, this is your brain on drugs. (Paranoia)Please don’t do drugs.

No Target does not drug test, only AP. Also you will be send to be tested in the event that there is probable cause that you are under the influence at work.

No Target does not drug test, only AP. Also you will be send to be tested in the event that there is probable cause that you are under the influence at work.
So I shouldn’t be worried? I’m still not going to smoke just as a precaution, I would never go to work under the influence of anything.

So does that include TL and up?

That’s what she made it sound like, yup.

This was several years ago when I got hired, HR mentioned drug tests during orientation. If that’s not how it be anymore then they definitely changed it, wouldn’t surprise me bc drug tests are expensive as fuck for the company (afaik, at Walmart they said it was $2,000 a pop)

Only AP is drug tested. But anyone can be drug tested if there’s an accident or they suspect you! Has to have a good reason though.

South East here. TMs regularly talk about blazing, and you only get tested if you have an on the job injury
Southwest here; ditto.
After a couple peeps failed drug tests (even tho there was NO evidence they were impaired), the number of on-the-job injuries reported dropped sharply.

Last edited:
No drug test for hourly.

But if you injure yourself at work and require medical attention, you are drug tested. In some states you can lose your job and pay your own medical bills, though I don’t know exactly how Target handles that.

Back