Archived Electronics to TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made it known at my store that I want to pursue being a team lead. Recently my senior team lead approached me and thanked me for all my hard work and that he is in being put in charge of my "development" for becoming a team lead, so my question is, what am I to expect and is there anything I should be doing to help myself stand out even more than I am?

I can't really offer much advice, but I do know from others at my store who are in development that you might get put in charge of zone/stray updates for your department, you might be asked to do tasks normally only a TL would do, and you should see an increase in hours.

Congratz on the consideration though! I told basically all of my ETLs but 2 of them, my TLs, and co-workers that I'd love to pursue becoming a team leader soon and all I got was a simple "haha cool" from the one person that would of helped me lol. I'm sure if I inquired about doing a GSA position they'd be all over it. I think I might be done with customer service in retail though, it pains me every time I have to work an 8 hour shift as a cashier or a SCO cashier. Now I've got five 7-3:30pm shifts of it coming up, I'm kind of fucked lol.

Own your development. Ask for things to do to make you shine. Take on things without being asked, those are the types of things that most TLs and ETLs look for when they are looking to put people on the bench. I will caution you though. Someone being put in charge to help you develop is not a sure fire guarantee you will be elevated. You have to be the one to work at it - they can give you ways to help you get there but ultimately it has to be you that makes the impression.

I have made it known at my store that I want to pursue being a team lead. Recently my senior team lead approached me and thanked me for all my hard work and that he is in being put in charge of my "development" for becoming a team lead, so my question is, what am I to expect and is there anything I should be doing to help myself stand out even more than I am?
I am in he same sort of boat myself. I have been with Target since Christmas of 2014, I was hired as seasonal and kept. It eventually went from it being a 2nd job to being my main focus. Like you I spent most of my time in electronics. I however have had the benefit of being at 2 stores. At the first store I was under a SrTL who I liked a lot but I'm not sure his enthusiasm was sincere as he continually told me I was being considered and was eventually rejected by an ETL due to my "attitude" but when I asked other leaders they had no idea I was ever even interested. I am at a different store now and recently talked to my current team leader about moving up. I had a meeting with our ETL within the week. I am now "in the pipeline" I am being moved from electronics up to GSA to demonstrate my ability to lead a team in a real Target setting. I had my first meeting today where I was pointed out as a future leader to all those in the meeting by an experienced ETL . I'd keep checking in and making sure things are moving so you don't end up in my first situation.

As for standing out I suggest making sure you are as independent as possible in your work. I am well known for never calling an LOD unless I need supervisor numbers for a bad serial number. Be independent. Make the leaps and take the chances. I think they will pay off, I feel as though if I had begun at my current store I may have become a lead or at least been sincerely on my way last year.

Improve an opportunity at your store and get your peers to buy in. Example, the boat is always a mess. Organize it, share the benefits of organization with your peers (other TMs), and get your peers to keep it organized. Once the boat stays organized without your effort, share the results with your leaders. Other examples for Electronics: discontinued endcaps - getting your peers to maintain them, that junky cheap toy endcap - getting your peers to maintain it, same with signing, same with outs/research.

It can be done! Stay on leadership’s asses about it and bother them until they give you more consistent answers. Lead the team and get them on your side. AAR is an opportunity at most stores, make it into a win. Develop the partnership with target mobile; capture accessory sales for them in exchange for them giving you sales with attachments/squaretrade. This ones kind of a dirty trick but get them to ring sales with no attachments. Also, keeping up with instocks to drive sales, if you don’t have a department scans goal for electronics set one (300 scans a week, etc). Maintaining the brand, especially the tv wall and it’s signing. PTMing like crazy getting all the decode out, and finding a home for clearance (no electronics clearance endcaps allowed in our area). Ask for lots of feedback from ETLs and make sure they have your back. I don’t know if I would suggest this part, but mobile offered me an EEL position, and I asked my ETL if they wanted to offer me something to stay. Within 2 months I’m doing interview prep. Electronics TM here, but only for this week until I start my new role as Hardlines TL next week after a year at target.

Are you sitting on a bench? Otherwise, you’re not on the bench.
Well, what about him?
new-fb-photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back