Archived Employee discount

• Thread starter Target020
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 16K

Do you think I should have gotten a warning?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Target020

I know the only people allowed to use the employee discount are the employee's themselves or their partner. What would you do if you check someone else out that shared it with another person, family or friend.

I've had at least three different people do this and didn't say anything since I'm sesonal and they've been working here for years. On these three occasions the employee didn't pay any part of the total. I thought I might do it and save my brother some $$ on dippers and got called into the office. I'm not a fan on snitches so I kept my mouth shut about the others. Since half the stuff bought was mine and my brother gave me money for his part do you think I should have gotten a warning?

P.S. I was given a warning since I'm "one of there most hard working cashier."

Unauthorized discounts or price adjustments will get you in big trouble with spot. The cashiers may of been taken in office too.

^This.
You don't know for sure if they've been pulled but the next time someone asks you to accept a TM discount for someone NOT a dependent, I'd refuse & cite what happened as a reason.
Very unlikely they'll call over a GSA/GSTL to 'fix' THAT.
At the very least, they'll go to someone else & THAT person can take the fall.

Last edited:
I know the only people allowed to use the employee discount are the employee's themselves or their partner. What would you do if you check someone else out that shared it with another person, family or friend.

I've had at least three different people do this and didn't say anything since I'm sesonal and they've been working here for years. On these three occasions the employee didn't pay any part of the total. I thought I might do it and save my brother some $$ on dippers and got called into the office. I'm not a fan on snitches so I kept my mouth shut about the others. Since half the stuff bought was mine and my brother gave me money for his part do you think I should have gotten a warning?

P.S. I was given a warning since I'm "one of there most hard working cashier."
You're not allowed to let your parents use your discount....you can be put on a final or fired.

Ooo.... These are fun to investigate. I've termed a lot of employees when I worked in the store because they shared there employee discount. Now I get to investigate online employee discount abuse. Just be thankful you didn't get termed for this. If it's a lot of money you can be sued by the company for breach of contract. Usually at orientation you sign a million papers, one of them is typically employee code of conduct/employee handbook.

Wait... They didn't even have the forethought to give the person the money so they could pay for it all themselves? And I'm assuming you did the same when your brother was buying diapers. I'm not saying go break the rule, but if eye were going to do some unauthorized discount using, I'd have all of the other persons money on me before we got to the register. And I'd give them the change when we got into the car. I always feel nervous just buying expensive things for myself because target knows exactly how poor I am haha.

Idk, I just can't believe anyone would break that rule so brazenly. Again, I'm not saying you should break the rule. I just don't understand doing it out in the open...

Ooo.... These are fun to investigate. I've termed a lot of employees when I worked in the store because they shared there employee discount. Now I get to investigate online employee discount abuse. Just be thankful you didn't get termed for this. If it's a lot of money you can be sued by the company for breach of contract. Usually at orientation you sign a million papers, one of them is typically employee code of conduct/employee handbook.
Do you work at the IC?

As others have stated, using your discount other than for yourself or your dependent if you have one is against company policy. A policy that you read, understood, and agreed to in writing. Just because others were doing it doesn't make it any more acceptable. It is like saying well, others were stealing so I decided to steal too. To blatantly violate a company benefit that is a privilege and not a right is certainly enough to warrant a warning. You must have a gracious team who like you and see potential in you! Lesson learned and just grow from the experience.

How does Spot define dependent for the discount card? I was thinking it was anyone who is claimed on your tax returns. So for me this would be my spouse and 2 children (15 and 10). My grandmother (97) lives with us and we will probably be adding her as a dependent as we cover more than 50% of her expenses. If I do would I be able to order her something at Target.com using her target card, listed to the same address as us?

Page 35 of the handbook says "eligible dependents include children ages 16-19 or younger than age 25 if full-time post-secondary student."

As a former AP TM who loved searching for internals, I would have already spotted your TM guest. But I would say for a cashier, finish the transaction and tell AP you thought it was fishy and leave it at that. If you call him out on it, They may stop and I won't have enough evidence to fire/prosecute them. Stop trying to be the "good guy", and giving them the benefit of the doubt. The economy is tough, they are only stealing money out of your pocket by making the company less profitable. Besides that if you let it go, knowingly, without acknowledging it, I will get you too.....

I see nothing wrong with letting friends and family use the employee discount. seems to be a huge number of pro target people on this page. I get a feeling that a lot of the people here are spies from headquarters
. I have never heard any store employees talk up the company as much as what happens here.

I see nothing wrong with letting friends and family use the employee discount. seems to be a huge number of pro target people on this page. I get a feeling that a lot of the people here are spies from headquarters
. I have never heard any store employees talk up the company as much as what happens here.

We don't "talk up the company." Spot is very strict about the team member discount policy, to the point where many team members have been fired for violating it.

And sure, corporate has people who lurk here. But those of us who post actively are just lowly store employees.

Lol.. So you've read what, half a thread? FOH, bruh. If you're gonna use your discount for someone you don't fucking do it in the open. It's a fireable offence. If you can afford to risk your job so openly, I feel nothing but jealousy toward you, because clearly you are a saving monster who has enough money saved up to do something risky in the open. I on the other hand, can't afford to lose this job for now

and you have been a member for such a long time since jan 8th this year and posted one message , please tell us more so we can all benefit from your informed opinion.

What's wrong is that They don't work for Target! This drives me insane! We have our team call us if they see that the card is not from our store. We then verify ID and if they don't match we ask why and notify the store where the TM hails from. We have a lot of abuse of the discount and I have termed several of my own TMs for this.

Go ahead and let your friends use your discount. Then you can post a forum on here about being fired and being forced to pay back the difference.

So go ahead, I enjoy I good laugh when employees to stupid things.

Dude, I am the last person to 'talk up' the company for a bunch of reasons that anyone who knows me can give you the details on and I'll tell you not to let your friends use your frelling discount.
You will get caught and fired in the long run.

You're BFF or Great Uncle Cyrus wants to buy something?
Have them give you the cash and you buy whatever it is.

Here's the thing, the discount if 10%; big whoop. One could argue that 10% of a Guest's purchase isn't a lot for Spot to "eat" but the policy is the policy, and people who aren't eligible shouldn't get 10% off. It's really not that much saved anyway unless the folks who are ineligible use the discount repeatedly, which probably wouldn't happen. Just stick to the rules, and if you don't like them, I suppose you could just see your way to the door.

Lol at tonight, one of my guest services TMs had just gotten off and was waiting for her ride to finish checking out while I was closing the registers. Well out of no where while I was talking to her her ride came up and asked to use her discount so she didn't have to go get extra cash out of the car. My GSTM got so offended and said "firstly my husbands the only one that uses my discount other than me and secondly, bitch are you trying to get me fired cause that's my supervisor standing next to you." The girl turned to me and apologized and then the GSTM said "while you're apologizing to him you need to apologize to me for trying to put me in that situation in the first place." I was so shocked all I could do was laugh and say it's okay it's just policy that we can't do that. Probably one of the funniest things I've had happen to me at work in a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back