MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

BTW... someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this strikingly similar to Wal-Mart department managers?
It seems similar from what I can tell, except I think Walmart still has a daytime salesfloor team and a nighttime stocking team. So department managers probably don't do the majority of the stocking or zoning.

I work in the backroom and I honestly think once this process hits my store I will be looking for another job. The reason I do backroom is because I have major anxiety when it comes to being out on the sales floor especially during the busy season.

Also, I do not trust half of the people in my store to pull and backstock properly. Location accuracy is hard enough to keep up now when only a few random people come back and backstock without knowing what they are doing. I'm already worried enough about the Market changes, because I doubt those people in my store will care enough to really do it properly.

Exactly. I don't think target realizes how many people work backroom or overnight/4am shifts for exactly this reason. In saying that I'm not saying that it's targets responsibility to give us a "comfortable" workplace, but I'm just saying, they're likely going to find themselves losing a TON of employees who specifically chose their current job w/ spot because it allowed them to find a good anxiety balance. When that balance is annihilated we have absolutely zero incentive to stay at such a crappy paying job.

Were it not for my incredible TL & ETL I would definitely leave. The pay is crappy and I'm sick of picking up after lazy af TMs. "It's not your job to repush their backstock" ...ok...but if I backstock fake backstock it'll just come right back out in the pulls and THAT is a waste of time.

Ugh. I really need to figure out wtf I want to/can do with my life and get off this burning ship.

Exactly. I don't think target realizes how many people work backroom or overnight/4am shifts for exactly this reason. In saying that I'm not saying that it's targets responsibility to give us a "comfortable" workplace, but I'm just saying, they're likely going to find themselves losing a TON of employees who specifically chose their current job w/ spot because it allowed them to find a good anxiety balance. When that balance is annihilated we have absolutely zero incentive to stay at such a crappy paying job.

Were it not for my incredible TL & ETL I would definitely leave. The pay is crappy and I'm sick of picking up after lazy af TMs. "It's not your job to repush their backstock" ...ok...but if I backstock fake backstock it'll just come right back out in the pulls and THAT is a waste of time.

Ugh. I really need to figure out wtf I want to/can do with my life and get off this burning ship.
Agreed. I really enjoyed being the Operator before I moved to Deli because I had my own space that I could organize at the beginning of my shift and I had a specific place I should be, unlike when I would get assigned to zone half of Softlines. When I first stared at Target, I was assigned to zone shoes and that was it. 5 hours every night I worked to put that hot mess back together, and it was pretty awesome. Same kind of thing, "owning" a specific space that I could control fairly easily. Now the Operator is expected to do returns and zone all across Softlines, leaving the fitting room unattended and carrying a cordless phone around to answer calls. I'm glad I jumped to Deli when I did, although I kind of wish I had just left Target altogether.
I need to figure out how to pay for some sort of certification so that I can jump into something that actually resembles a career without going back to college for 2+ more years.

So I just took over grocery and I am wondering what kind of routines I need to put in place for a end to end pilot to work for a ULV store. What does your day look like on a truck day compared to a regular day. We are starting the process next week and I am a little nervous about it since we have no communications on how the process is suppose to work for us. Heck, I don't even have my routines down after only 2 weeks into position and a huge workload last week with salesplanners.

So I just took over grocery and I am wondering what kind of routines I need to put in place for a end to end pilot to work for a ULV store. What does your day look like on a truck day compared to a regular day. We are starting the process next week and I am a little nervous about it since we have no communications on how the process is suppose to work for us. Heck, I don't even have my routines down after only 2 weeks into position and a huge workload last week with salesplanners.
I haven't read it completely myself, but by skimming through the documents on WB, there is a lot of good info in there. Go to WB-->Pilots-->Grocery Rollout. I imagine you'll have 3ish openers/1 closer on GM truck days (you included), and 1 opener/1 closer on non-truck days. With so few TMs, each needs to know how to pull, push, set, and backstock. None of those numbers take into consideration pfresh, which may add 1-2 TMs/morning.

Last edited:
For anyone about to get on the Grocery Operating Model, my best advice is to take it slow. Its much easier to leave your flow process together at first and transition just the payroll for a small section (say dairy/frozen) over at first, form the team, get it established and then move onto dry grocery. I also suggest ignoring moving the backroom payroll over until the end. Leave your backroom functions alone (pulling and backstocking) and let them get the hang of just working the freight first.

Starting Monday I am hymyself on non truck days and only have 1 tm to help me on truck days. On top of all the other duties I am quite worried about it. The info on the pilot doesn't include GM stores much.

They are planning on starting this in our softlines departments and have spoken to the flow team about it. Word on the street is that none of our flow team members have any inclination to "own" a department and do the work of 4 teams with no increase in pay or information about how many tms there will be for each of those departments.

They are planning on starting this in our softlines departments and have spoken to the flow team about it. Word on the street is that none of our flow team members have any inclination to "own" a department and do the work of 4 teams with no increase in pay or information about how many tms there will be for each of those departments.

They may have some leverage at first, but in a year they will be lucky they are getting hours at all when all the racks show up pre-hung on the trailers.

The last retailer i worked for had hanging garments (GOH) on banana ropes. Everything was palletized by department including repacks. It was amazing how fast you could unload and breakout and push
When they first told us of this new process I was a non believer but when I actually worked it I was amazed! It would be great if Target got to that point.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the only good part of this new pilot is the palletizing(?) by area. In the last few years Target has not been able to hire enough high quality TMs who stay for the long haul. Without a large percentage of these high quality TMs this End to End ownership process will not work. We have been doing this in grocery since the end of last year, and still I find overstocked product, product in the wrong location, and holes that haven't been received or researched for weeks. At least two times a week the Smart Huddle is in Market to help push freight or POGs that ETLs have droppwd to fill. Weeding out the lazy TMs who do this is not as easy as you think it should be.

Ding ding!

We have a winner. Working flow is one thing. Setting POGs is another issue.

And I honestly think some of the BR would quit before having to work on the sales floor every day.

Something that is not mentioned enough is the difference in pay for say a flow team person and pog. I get that they may be able to do the job well but some who got hired say for backroom will not want to do salesfloor at all. I see huge turnover in my store if this program starts here. Re-reading this plan it actually sounds a lot like how a general department store works. Hopefully this starts with bigger stores first that have enough team members to make it work. Reading through many of the posts on here lately it sounds like they are trying to end overnight stores and make everyone 4am.

As a side note our store just started the market rollout 2 weeks ago so if this happens it will be a down the road for us.

Last edited:
I guess the STL at my store is trying to fight corporate to keep overnights at my store. They are talking about only moving grocery over to this new system and leaving the rest of the store as overnights. Which doesn't make much sense to me. But I'm not interested in working when the store is open, so I'll probably leave Spot if they do get rid of overnights.

I guess the STL at my store is trying to fight corporate to keep overnights at my store. They are talking about only moving grocery over to this new system and leaving the rest of the store as overnights. Which doesn't make much sense to me. But I'm not interested in working when the store is open, so I'll probably leave Spot if they do get rid of overnights.

I tried a split before having some of the process O/N and some 4AM and it will only work if your ETL-Food is good and is actually going to own the rollout. Almost every single store I have seen still has the ETL-LOG as the main person in charge of the market team for freight, and that is not what its supposed to really be.

I tried a split before having some of the process O/N and some 4AM and it will only work if your ETL-Food is good and is actually going to own the rollout. Almost every single store I have seen still has the ETL-LOG as the main person in charge of the market team for freight, and that is not what its supposed to really be.
I haven't heard anything about leadership yet. They just brought it up last night and nothing is set in motion as of yet. They were gauging interest of the O/N people to see if they'd want to switch to a 5am shift. I would envision them trying to move one of the ETL-LOGs to the new shift...but who knows if that's not how it's supposed to be. I guess time will tell.

Back