Archived ETL 4th Final Interview - Misc Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabria

Savor The Love
Just wondering if there are any general tips or knowledge anyone can give to me for the 4th ETL interview? I've lurked a lot on here until now registering and I've read a lot of ETL hiring/suggestion threads but it seems like Target is constantly changing stuff slightly and figure since most of the stuff I read was from 2013/2014 it was worth trying to get the most up to date scoop!

So a bit of backstory, I honestly didn't expect to get this far because as far as I knew ETLs were mostly people with 4 year degrees and a bit older though that probably just comes from the 4 year degree aspect. I'm 19 and just graduated from my community college in August with my Associates degree in Business Administration. I was planning on going to a university a few hours away to get a B.S. in Business Administration in January. I could of went right after completing my summer courses in August however I decided a semester off would be nice since I've been hammering 18 credits a semester and 6-9 in the last two summers and a couple classes I took through the college while a junior/senior in high school.

I've just been working a lot lately - I started at Staples a few months into college as a sales associate doing only 10-15 hours a week more in summers. When I finished my AAS in August I told them my plans and they made me a Technology Center Supervisor despite knowing I'd be leaving in December to start moving to the university. I went to the career fair being hosted at the university while doing a visit just to check it all out in September and Target was there and I spoke with one of the recruiters there. She asked for my resume and I didn't go with one as I wasn't expecting to apply anywhere - just scope out what kind of businesses go there. I explained to her my situation and all. She asked me to email her a brief resume and a day after that she asked me to apply for the position online.

So I applied for the position that it showed at a store in a town about 40 minutes from my hometown where I live with my parents currently. Well they asked for me geographical preferences and I listed them including the store I applied for but also the store here in my home town even though there was no ETL position listed being needed here.

Now I just finished my 3rd interview yesterday. My 2nd and 3rd went great, I had doubts after my first one with the talent acquisition person who was different than the one at the fair - when I was asking HIM questions he kept basically expressing doubts about my age/lack of experience but I still got called for the 2nd then 3rd.. I got called today and scheduled for my final 4th interview tomorrow already - usually there was about a week between each interview. Now, when I finished my 2nd interview with the DTL I asked her about the locations and pay. She said in the area I'd be working I'd be looking at 50-57k but likely due to my lack of experience/age I'd be closer to 50k which is understandable.

She also said that there is an ETL-HR position open at the store in my home town even though nothing was listed and said it's because it just opened a couple weeks ago and that if I get through the process she should be able to get me there otherwise she isn't sure what ETL position I'd be taking at the store 40 minutes away but did confirm that I'd end up at one of the two stores.

So now for the 4th interview - am I right to assume that it probably means I'm getting a job offer? It's what I gathered from some old threads I read. Is there anything majorly different in the 4th interview than the others? My confirmation email I got for it gave me the same preparation advice that I had for the last three interviews.

Then finally - if I got the ETL HR job - how safe is it? I've read in here that it might be getting phased out soon, and I actually worked for target as a cashier for a month then guest service team member from the time I was 16-17 at the target here in town too. I left due to going away for a summer in high school. But even back then I heard things about ETL positions being eliminated and gossip was that ETL-HR would probably be one. Is this true at all? I'm also fairly concerned about an issue I had with an ETL that was there at the time I was there and I believe he's still there. Would he be spoken to or have any input on me being placed at that store? Otherwise I generally loved the job and the people I worked with.

Finally - does this seem like a wise choice to put college on hold for awhile to work for Spot? 50k a year sounds pretty nice to me. I live at home but have $5k in debt so far for college though I've been paying on it while attending. My goal has been to bust out my AAS and BS quickly and basically graduate early and ideally get my MS by the time i was 23/24. However this kinda dumb luck of me possibly getting a 50k ETL position offer already is pretty tempting - and I feel like the experience might be a bit more valuable? Ideally I'd still plan on taking a couple online classes each semester while working as an ETL and maybe after a couple years of experience and banking money - leave to finish my BS and probably an MS. Does just staying in school with my original plan sound like a better option or dropping that for the ETL/light online class schedule for a couple years sound better? This is all just where I'd like some general opinions and isn't really my main question of the thread so feel free to skip if you're already tired of thinking up stuff to respond with :p

Mostly though my thread here is to ask for insight/advice for the 4th interview tomorrow.
I appreciate any relevant response no matter how small or large.
Thanks!

All I can add is I've yet to see plans to get rid of etl-hr come out. We just placed a tl into etl-hr recently. She's well connected to district level and above abd wouldn't have taken it with the chance to lose it later.

The ETL HR position is the only position that is universal. If you are a salaried HR manager at one company, it's very easy to be an HR manager anywhere else. Honestly, I would take it. Do it for a few years and build your resume. Maybe complete your BS/BA at a good reputation online school. What job do you know of (in the business field) will pay you 50k with little experience and an AA degree?

However, target has been known for dangling "carrots" in front of interviewees for the ETL position. A lot of people think they are getting a job offer and then POOF!

Just wondering if there are any general tips or knowledge anyone can give to me for the 4th ETL interview? I've lurked a lot on here until now registering and I've read a lot of ETL hiring/suggestion threads but it seems like Target is constantly changing stuff slightly and figure since most of the stuff I read was from 2013/2014 it was worth trying to get the most up to date scoop!

So a bit of backstory, I honestly didn't expect to get this far because as far as I knew ETLs were mostly people with 4 year degrees and a bit older though that probably just comes from the 4 year degree aspect. I'm 19 and just graduated from my community college in August with my Associates degree in Business Administration. I was planning on going to a university a few hours away to get a B.S. in Business Administration in January. I could of went right after completing my summer courses in August however I decided a semester off would be nice since I've been hammering 18 credits a semester and 6-9 in the last two summers and a couple classes I took through the college while a junior/senior in high school.

I've just been working a lot lately - I started at Staples a few months into college as a sales associate doing only 10-15 hours a week more in summers. When I finished my AAS in August I told them my plans and they made me a Technology Center Supervisor despite knowing I'd be leaving in December to start moving to the university. I went to the career fair being hosted at the university while doing a visit just to check it all out in September and Target was there and I spoke with one of the recruiters there. She asked for my resume and I didn't go with one as I wasn't expecting to apply anywhere - just scope out what kind of businesses go there. I explained to her my situation and all. She asked me to email her a brief resume and a day after that she asked me to apply for the position online.

So I applied for the position that it showed at a store in a town about 40 minutes from my hometown where I live with my parents currently. Well they asked for me geographical preferences and I listed them including the store I applied for but also the store here in my home town even though there was no ETL position listed being needed here.

Now I just finished my 3rd interview yesterday. My 2nd and 3rd went great, I had doubts after my first one with the talent acquisition person who was different than the one at the fair - when I was asking HIM questions he kept basically expressing doubts about my age/lack of experience but I still got called for the 2nd then 3rd.. I got called today and scheduled for my final 4th interview tomorrow already - usually there was about a week between each interview. Now, when I finished my 2nd interview with the DTL I asked her about the locations and pay. She said in the area I'd be working I'd be looking at 50-57k but likely due to my lack of experience/age I'd be closer to 50k which is understandable.

She also said that there is an ETL-HR position open at the store in my home town even though nothing was listed and said it's because it just opened a couple weeks ago and that if I get through the process she should be able to get me there otherwise she isn't sure what ETL position I'd be taking at the store 40 minutes away but did confirm that I'd end up at one of the two stores.

So now for the 4th interview - am I right to assume that it probably means I'm getting a job offer? It's what I gathered from some old threads I read. Is there anything majorly different in the 4th interview than the others? My confirmation email I got for it gave me the same preparation advice that I had for the last three interviews.

Then finally - if I got the ETL HR job - how safe is it? I've read in here that it might be getting phased out soon, and I actually worked for target as a cashier for a month then guest service team member from the time I was 16-17 at the target here in town too. I left due to going away for a summer in high school. But even back then I heard things about ETL positions being eliminated and gossip was that ETL-HR would probably be one. Is this true at all? I'm also fairly concerned about an issue I had with an ETL that was there at the time I was there and I believe he's still there. Would he be spoken to or have any input on me being placed at that store? Otherwise I generally loved the job and the people I worked with.

Finally - does this seem like a wise choice to put college on hold for awhile to work for Spot? 50k a year sounds pretty nice to me. I live at home but have $5k in debt so far for college though I've been paying on it while attending. My goal has been to bust out my AAS and BS quickly and basically graduate early and ideally get my MS by the time i was 23/24. However this kinda dumb luck of me possibly getting a 50k ETL position offer already is pretty tempting - and I feel like the experience might be a bit more valuable? Ideally I'd still plan on taking a couple online classes each semester while working as an ETL and maybe after a couple years of experience and banking money - leave to finish my BS and probably an MS. Does just staying in school with my original plan sound like a better option or dropping that for the ETL/light online class schedule for a couple years sound better? This is all just where I'd like some general opinions and isn't really my main question of the thread so feel free to skip if you're already tired of thinking up stuff to respond with :p

Mostly though my thread here is to ask for insight/advice for the 4th interview tomorrow.
I appreciate any relevant response no matter how small or large.
Thanks!
I think the only thing holding you back is your age. For example at my store if a 19 year old ETL came into role team members will most likely hate you or try to take advance of you. Are you stren? If not team members and guests won't take you seriously.

I think the only thing holding you back is your age. For example at my store if a 19 year old ETL came into role team members will most likely hate you or try to take advance of you. Are you stren? If not team members and guests won't take you seriously.
Did you mean to say strong/stern? If so - I mean I take my job seriously. I am a pretty motivated goal oriented person (cliche sounding I know) but I really I am. I'm quick to stave off anything that gets in the way of the job that needs done and have never had much issue with leadership roles so far. I only supervise two people in my current position at Staples. Both are almost twice my age but respect me and we have a fantastic working relationship. Same goes for the other team members in the store that I'm not a direct supervisor of.

Otherwise I understand there are some factors I can't control of my age - but I do the best to present myself in a professional and mature manner. Honestly skipping the contacts and donning glasses, wearing my hair up, and actually using makeup help me a bit. Being pretty dang short doesn't help. In general though I like to think that with my own drive and attitude I could do it and by making sure I get the most out of any training I receive would help.

I feel like I convey a good amount of trust to customers and I'm easy for them to talk to. However being that I supervise our tech area at Staples I get a lot of the more agitated customers since we do the computer repair/servicing. I have had no problems dealing with these situations so far and like to think I stand my ground very well.

Last edited:
Did you mean to say strong/stern? If so - I mean I take my job seriously. I am a pretty motivated goal oriented person (cliche sounding I know) but I really I am. I'm quick to stave off anything that gets in the way of the job that needs done and have never had much issue with leadership roles so far. I only supervise two people in my current position at Staples. Both are almost twice my age but respect me and we have a fantastic working relationship. Same goes for the other team members in the store that I'm not a direct supervisor of.

Otherwise I understand there are some factors I can't control of my age - but I do the best to present myself in a professional and mature manner. Honestly skipping the contacts and donning glasses, wearing my hair up, and actually using makeup help me a bit. Being pretty dang short doesn't help. In general though I like to think that with my own drive and attitude I could do it and by making sure I get the most out of any training I receive would help.
Sorry I'm driving. Yes I did,

The ETL HR position is the only position that is universal. If you are a salaried HR manager at one company, it's very easy to be an HR manager anywhere else. Honestly, I would take it. Do it for a few years and build your resume. Maybe complete your BS/BA at a good reputation online school. What job do you know of (in the business field) will pay you 50k with little experience and an AA degree?

However, target has been known for dangling "carrots" in front of interviewees for the ETL position. A lot of people think they are getting a job offer and then POOF!
Totally don't know how I missed this response at first!
But thank you for the advice. I actually talked to a counselor at the university I was planning on going and he told me there are plenty of online classes through them that I can take towards the BS. There are a few I have to be "in class" for so I likely will still end up going there for or have to take them online elsewhere. Either way we'll see, I'll be honest I'm really not sure I want to be done with the classroom life as weird as that is to say!
I definitely am glad I'm hearing what I'm thinking though so as to reinforce my beliefs a bit.. I was really already leaning towards taking the job if it's offered tomorrow. Just seems like these days I hear more about people getting their degrees, BA/BS and even MS and still not finding jobs because of no experience - so I think the experience will be more valuable in the long run!
So right about HR too - the way I see it HR if I find it's for me would be perfect experience for me to use to transition to another HR job with a cushy 8-5(or similar) 40 hour weekday schedule some day!

If you can get HR, then go for it, it's an easy decision. Take night school or online classes, and when you graduate you will have little to no debt, a degree, and several years experience as an HR manager. It would help immensely with starting a career outside of retail.

If the position is not HR... Well you could always try it and see what happens. At the very least, you'll still be saving up a boatload of cash for university.

Sorry I'm driving. Yes I did,
youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

Totally don't know how I missed this response at first!
But thank you for the advice. I actually talked to a counselor at the university I was planning on going and he told me there are plenty of online classes through them that I can take towards the BS. There are a few I have to be "in class" for so I likely will still end up going there for or have to take them online elsewhere. Either way we'll see, I'll be honest I'm really not sure I want to be done with the classroom life as weird as that is to say!
I definitely am glad I'm hearing what I'm thinking though so as to reinforce my beliefs a bit.. I was really already leaning towards taking the job if it's offered tomorrow. Just seems like these days I hear more about people getting their degrees, BA/BS and even MS and still not finding jobs because of no experience - so I think the experience will be more valuable in the long run!
So right about HR too - the way I see it HR if I find it's for me would be perfect experience for me to use to transition to another HR job with a cushy 8-5(or similar) 40 hour weekday schedule some day!

I have an industrial engineer degree - I worked retail management because it paid the bills. Nuff said.

If you can get HR, then go for it, it's an easy decision. Take night school or online classes, and when you graduate you will have little to no debt, a degree, and several years experience as an HR manager. It would help immensely with starting a career outside of retail.

If the position is not HR... Well you could always try it and see what happens. At the very least, you'll still be saving up a boatload of cash for university.
Thanks this is pretty much what I was thinking. I need to look through threads more here for this but I'll just ask anyway - besides Logistics and HR ETLs - what are other ETL positions that are common? The Target i'd be working at is a Super Target, as for their actual $/volume I'm not sure.

To deter a little bit - I appreciate all the advice from everyone so far, but I'm still fairly curious if anyone can give me an idea of exactly what might come up in the 4th/final interview tomorrow besides a job offer? Is still just a regular situation/behavior/outcome interview at first?

Well my interview was at 2:30pm, got the call at 2:32pm - lasted about 25 minutes. Got the offer and we talked about my situation. I didn't want to lie to her and told her about my education plans and all. She said that if things worked out arrangements could be made to keep me with Target even if I ETL'd for 2-3 years then went back to school full time to finish the BA and an MS. So it's very reassuring that I won't anger Spot too much with my idea.
I asked about placement and was told the ETL-HR position at the local store should be where I end up. Said it's very unlikely they'll have to place me anywhere else, and if so it'd still just be at the other store that I originally applied at. She said she cant 100% promise anything but said if the DTL put the bug in my ear that she did about the ETL position at the local store - then that should be what's going on.

So sounds like I'm joining the parade of red and khaki

Will they do that you think? I mean as long as I'm in either store I really don't mind though the ETL HR in the local store to where I live now does sound the most appealing.

Will they do that you think? I mean as long as I'm in either store I really don't mind though the ETL HR in the local store to where I live now does sound the most appealing.
Get it in writing. Spot is known to change their mind at the very minute.

It is possible that you will go through Business College and at the very last second they could end up throwing you in a different ETL position. I've seen it happen more than once. Until you actually start your first day at a store, there is no guarantee you will end up as HR.

You should really focus on getting your 4 year degree first, you can go so many more places once you have that under your belt. JMO.

ETLs have grueling schedules & you can expect to work 50-70 hrs/week, especially during Q4.
Once you're settled in role, look into the on-line courses to see if you can knock out one here or there schedule permitting.
Target actually reimburses TL on up for courses that are business-related so it would be a win-win situation finishing your degree while getting related experience in a field that translates to any business setting.

Also, your work weeks maybe 50 plus a week & you may not have time for school.
I understand but besides that I live at home still with my parents with little other responsibilities. I feel like I could handle an online class or two alongside a 50-60hour weekly job.
It is possible that you will go through Business College and at the very last second they could end up throwing you in a different ETL position. I've seen it happen more than once. Until you actually start your first day at a store, there is no guarantee you will end up as HR.
I understand, I'm really not too picky honestly. I'm not even really gunning for the HR so much - just sounds interesting since that's what the district team leader told me about on the phone.

You should really focus on getting your 4 year degree first, you can go so many more places once you have that under your belt. JMO.
Yeah I'm conflicted over it but I'm already ahead of the curve a bit with my 2 year degree a year earlier than most right out of high school and I always hear people getting degrees and not being able to find good work because they all want experience. I figure I'll rock this for a couple years at least and then hop back full force into school, and hopefully not fall TOO far behind others by taking an online class or two while I'm working as an ETL.

ETLs have grueling schedules & you can expect to work 50-70 hrs/week, especially during Q4.
Once you're settled in role, look into the on-line courses to see if you can knock out one here or there schedule permitting.
Target actually reimburses TL on up for courses that are business-related so it would be a win-win situation finishing your degree while getting related experience in a field that translates to any business setting.
She actually told me that in my 3rd interview (about the schedules) and told me that in the region the stores are pretty well staffed so I can expect to be around 50 hours a week normally but to expect 60 and as high as 70 through the core of the holiday season. I don't plan to start a couple online classes until Spring so that should be okay.
I'll definitely have to look into the class reimbursement! Thanks!

I couldn't tell you. Like I said it was kind of a fluke of me just scoping companies out at the career fair without any intention of actually talking to any with the idea of job hunting at this point. One thing led to another and here I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back