Archived ETL-HR locked a minor in the store overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badapple

Backroom TM
We recently got a new ETL-HR since our last one walked out after getting in a screaming match with the new STL. Our new ETL-HR has been here for about a month now and had her first close the other night. She must have been really anxious to leave as she hustled everyone out and locked up minutes after we had an all clear. After work I was hanging out with a co-worker when he got a call from his sister (the minor). She was bawling on the phone saying she was locked in the store so we drove back to find her standing near the exit. We could barely see her in the moonlight as the rest of the store was pitch black behind her. Luckily I'm friends with an LOD who I messaged, he then got ahold of the salesfloor ETL and she came to unlock the door and reset the alarm. One thing I'm not sure about was why the minor was scheduled to close. Aren't minors only allowed to work until 9:30? (Our store closes at 10). Has anyone ever had something similar happen at their store? Should I expect any corrective actions to be taken against the new ETL? The parents of the minor are (rightfully) outraged and have threatened to take legal action against the store. Would they have any grounds on that?

Never anything quiet like that,a lot of potential for bad outcomes in that situation.

Reactions: Him
Ok that's really bad but where was the minor TM? If she was supposed to clock out earlier, what she doing? Did she not hear all the store closing announcements? Also ...there are quite a few things to do at closing besides just locking the doors so again, it makes no sense that the minor TM wouldnt have been noticed or wouldnt have been actively trying to locate the LOD. Strange.

I'm assuming she already had the closing email writen before we got an all clear which would of meant all she had to do was lock up the funds in the cash office. I'm not sure exactly how long it all took because I didn't stick around. I'm thinking maybe the minor was in the restroom for that time? Assuming she was scheduled to close. If she wasn't then I have no idea why she'd be there that late, especially after all the closing announcements

Reactions: Him
The parents can't sue or anything for the kid being locked in. They have a way out, though the fire exits. Had they used one, the kid wouldn't be at fault, target would. Most states only allow minors to be scheduled until a certain time though, however laws may be different during summer.

We have had tms and guests locked in through the years. It's a final for the ETL. She should be making a walk after the doors are locked. She should also be making an announcement right before she leaves. The minor should have alerted for work past shift, and ETL should have followed up. It sounds like the ETL didn't do her due diligence. The parents should be pissed, but I'm not sure about suing. Even though she had a way out, she was probably pretty scared--remember she is a kid in a store alone, lights shut off, strange noises, and probably thinks she's in trouble. If I were her mom, I would want to know what procedures are in place to make sure this doesn't happen again.

The lights were completely off? I thought stores usually have some lights on.

Aren't minors only allowed to work until 9:30? (Our store closes at 10).

Depends on local laws but mytime flags a minors closing shifts.

The lights were completely off? I thought stores usually have some lights on.

Without giving myself away we have had people stay in the store overnight due to issues and have to sleep in offices. The salesfloor is pitch black.

The parents can't sue or anything for the kid being locked in. They have a way out, though the fire exits. Had they used one, the kid wouldn't be at fault, target would. Most states only allow minors to be scheduled until a certain time though, however laws may be different during summer.

Yeah the etl is at fault and will go on a final but this is why some stores don't like to hire minors. We have had ones we schedule until 945 and tell them if they clock out after 10 it's a minor violation and they come up with dumb reasons to stay like "I got stopped by a guest or I think you needed my help"

My store only has 3 minors and all of them are smarter and more sotuationally aware that many of the adults. I know we have some minors on this site like Amanda and the person who does cash office and I bet you they wouldn't be caught dead in the store after hours

We had an ETL lock an adult tm in the store once, but we've got precautions in place to ensure this doesn't happen. First of all, minors in our state cannot work past 9:30. Closing tms are never allowed to leave at the end of the night unless the LOD or TLOD checks their name off on the grid to ensure they've seen them leave. As for guests, we close at 11 except on Sundays so at 10:45 or 9:45 depending on the night when the FRO makes the first closing announcement, each salesfloor tm checks their area for guests. Someone checks our restrooms, the backroom, and our team training office as well. The GSA/GSTL will check the parking lot for cars as well (tms have a designated parking area, furthest from the main doors).

Too many weird variables... at my store LODs/ETLs don't leave right as store closes, usually about half an hour or so later, and assuming since she's a minor she only works until 9:45, there's literally no explanation as to why she was still there when store was locked in and done for. When I was a minor my ETL was pretty strict on "compliance" and "violations" and I always made sure to clock out before 10pm.

Just a weird situation is all. At my store I have no idea how anyone gets locked in, to add insult to injury it was a minor that got locked in. I literally have no words. Although, I think it's a little too far for the parents to sue over what most likely is a mistake, their outrage is granted. I still just can't wrap my mind around how a minor got locked in. What was she doing? when the 15 min warning came, then the 10 min... 5 min... "The store is now closing, please head up to the checklanes to quickly checkout, or leave your items at guest service." and then the whole probably next half an hour where ETLs and LODs are finishing up, doing any remaining stray or work, perimeter sweeps, walks, and paperwork. (actually don't quote me, I don't really know the whole routine, just gathering from what I've heard from my store and here.)

Just weird is all. I'm not trying to suggest anything but it's just so MEH. And what Doglover just said as I'm writing this post, there's absolutely no way it would fly in her store or my store, because we have the same exact policies set in place, at least as far as walks, perimeter, and signing out with LOD.

My questions are, was the minor waiting for a ride home & punched out at scheduled time?
Seriously... and I really find it difficult for a store to be COMPLETY pitch black. To my knowledge, there would be power generator lights that would be on 24hrs and come on ESPECIALLY when any movement occurs. (Human or animal) Very, very strange indeed. Also, no overnight shift for this particular store I guess.

Seriously... and I really find it difficult for a store to be COMPLETY pitch black. To my knowledge, there would be power generator lights that would be on 24hrs and come on ESPECIALLY when any movement occurs. (Human or animal) Very, very strange indeed. Also, no overnight shift for this particular store I guess.
Total lights happen at 30 to 45 mins after closing, depending on store size. It is a control light setting done by lod. It can be overridden. Parking lot is first.

Exactly @Hardlinesmaster. Also back in my TL days, we also had the my devices set to alert ANY Leader (TL or LOD) for violations about compliance of tm's. (Lunch breaks, 5th hour, etc.) You mean to tell me GSA, GSTL, Hardlines TL, Softlines TL, NOBODY noticed their device ringing off the hook for this tm?? Again like others have said, this is just too many variables.

Exactly @Hardlinesmaster. Also back in my TL days, we also had the my devices set to alert ANY Leader (TL or LOD) for violations about compliance of tm's. (Lunch breaks, 5th hour, etc.) You mean to tell me GSA, GSTL, Hardlines TL, Softlines TL, NOBODY noticed their device ringing off the hook for this tm?? Again like others have said, this is just too many variables.
Well, at a small store, there are no TLs closing with me, and at 11, it's just me, and one or two others on the SF, so a thorough walk is necessary. Even if I had a team checking for guests, I know that it's my job on the line, so I would always check everything for myself.

I've done overnights when the the lights weren't overridden and it gets real dark. All the lights on the floor go out and it's pitch black until you walk by the coolers/freezers and those ones come on. That etl is probably going to be on at least a final, maybe termed if there have been other issues.

@Yetive, so whatever store is in question, this must've been a small store. Very weird, sad situation. I've worked at several stores during my time at spot. (Small and Large stores). With all these new changes and for some of these stores eliminating overnight shifts altogether, I just never imagined a store to never have been COMPLETY unoccupied. Only times would be Christmas. Even then Security squad cars and local police would do a patrol in ANY area I worked.

To an extent yes, but as an LOD they have to make sure everyone has left before locking the store-guests and team members. It's a pretty basic thing as LOD to remember to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back