Archived ETL-HR locked a minor in the store overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only so much she could have done though, right? Surely every employee has some responsibility to know when they should leave as well. The person closing up can't be expected to check every nook and cranny for an employee who has lost track of time.

I can't hear announcements when I'm in the freezer or cooler in my store, and I've often lost track of time. If, for whatever reason, I was working in there near the end of the night, it's totally possible that I could be locked in without anyone knowing. So it should be my responsibility to make sure that I can follow what's being said/done, right?
If I were to lock someone in, they would review cameras to see if I walked the entire salesfloor, backrooms, fitting rooms, behind infant furniture displays, behind paper, pharmacy bathroom, Sbux BOH, and that I made an announcement that we are leaving. If I do all of that and still miss someone, I might not get a CA.

My store is pretty low volume, we hardly have overnights unless presentation is reseting a whole section. Also you're guy's stores seem to clear everything much more thorough then my store does. We have hardlines and softlines tm's quickly run down their zones and that's about it. No one checks the backroom, or any bathrooms, or even TSC. I suppose it wouldn't be likely for the parents to get anywhere with legal action as there are fire exits for her to leave through if she had no other option. That being said isn't it a little more serious being a minor apposed to someone of age?

we've had people who locked in team members. its a final warning. that its a minor, lights, they freaked out shouldn't matter unless they did it on purpose. it happens.

Last edited:
Interesting that some stores have ALL of their lights go out after close. At mine, we have maybe a third of them left on from close until 8am. And if we need to change anything with the lights (such as turning on the backroom lights before 4am), we have to call FMOC and have them do it remotely.

Last edited:
Mom and Dad looking for some $$$$.
Or to teach target a lesson.

Ive almost been locked in more than once. Changing from open to close and mid and back around. It's a final, without more details hard to know how it happened but its indeed possible with negligence.

At my former stores, minors are only allowed to work cashier as salesfloor duties require TMs to stay late.
One of my stores tried minors on salesfloor and it ended up being a disaster. Minors had to be out by 1hr before closing. Leaving the zones to be picked again.

But there has been a time or two a TM would wait in Breakroom/FA for a ride to arrive and fall asleep.

Last edited:
I once got locked in with another TM while doing pfresh inventory. I don't think the ETL-HR walked because there was no way she could have missed us. Now I have store keys though so that's not an issue. :p If you leave someone it's a final. There was one night that was super rough and I wasn't 100% sure I had let someone out so I rewalked, called out over walkie (page system wasn't working right), and then was still so paranoid I just called them to check that I'd let them out. I won't leave the store if I'm not 100% sure everything is good to go.

We recently got a new ETL-HR since our last one walked out after getting in a screaming match with the new STL. Our new ETL-HR has been here for about a month now and had her first close the other night. She must have been really anxious to leave as she hustled everyone out and locked up minutes after we had an all clear. After work I was hanging out with a co-worker when he got a call from his sister (the minor). She was bawling on the phone saying she was locked in the store so we drove back to find her standing near the exit. We could barely see her in the moonlight as the rest of the store was pitch black behind her. Luckily I'm friends with an LOD who I messaged, he then got ahold of the salesfloor ETL and she came to unlock the door and reset the alarm. One thing I'm not sure about was why the minor was scheduled to close. Aren't minors only allowed to work until 9:30? (Our store closes at 10). Has anyone ever had something similar happen at their store? Should I expect any corrective actions to be taken against the new ETL? The parents of the minor are (rightfully) outraged and have threatened to take legal action against the store. Would they have any grounds on that?
BS story

Aside from the suing part exact thing happened at my story. New minor TM was scheduled last close and ignored all closing calls. sr TL locked him in and he texted me late after store closed so I texted all the LODs I had numbers to. STL was FUMING. He watched the cams and the kid wasn't paying any attention to calls and just happened to be out whenever the TL did her rounds to empty the store

I don't know if this is actually true or not but having been around Target since the last century I have seen many incredible and unbelievable things happen,we are very accident prone which tends to happen when inexperience meets the complexity of some of our leadership positions.

If she got locked in with another cute minor TM none of this would have happened. Career Opportunities 2, anyone?

if I got locked in the store overnight, I would immediately attack the ZzzQuil in the Pharmacy Aisle, then find somewhere comfortable.

Like behind the HR Desk, then pass out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back