Archived ETL Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was offered an ETL position with a PG13. Was told they believe I'm ready for STL but would like me to be in an ETL role for 18 months first since I'm being hired external. They also told me that PG13 is the highest pay grade and makes me eligible for STL after 18 months. I have a business management degree and have 10+ years of customer service and sales experience. 5+ years of sales management experience.

I have yet to accept or decline the offer because they won't tell me the location I'd be working at. I also would have to leave a company I'm doing well in but the company has severe cash flow problems and has a chance of going out of business. Salaries are the same but I currently work Monday-Friday with all evenings and weekends off. Looking for some insight from those who are already with Target. Is this something that I should take with no hesitation or am I getting fed info just to make me excited about the opportunity?

I've also been told I will most likely get the ETL-Log position within a store with them wanting me to be STL in 18 months. I love running the sales floor and helping guests. Does the Log position keep me in the back-room my whole shift? What would be my core responsibilities as an ETL-Log?

Someone can answer this, but I thought ready-for-STL-but-external get a Sr. ETL position which is higher than PG13. I know my Sr. Merch was external with about the same experience as you and got his store within 18 months. Of course, that was a few years ago.

That is a very tough predicament you are in. As a LOG it will depend what type of store you are in as to your hours. A low volume store your hours may be early morning to afternoon. If they are looking at your potential they may place you at a overnight store where you come in at ~9pm and leave at ~9am although those hours will fluctuate depending on the time of year. My LOG would come in at 9am and leave at 2-3pm during 4th quarter. You will work evenings and weekends. If there is a big visit happening and your store is a mess, you will be asked to come in, even on a day off.

You will mainly be in the backroom mainly making everything is going smoothly off the truck and even though you may be on the sales floor during the shift, you will probably not have time to deal with guests.

There is not a guarantee for you to make STL. I'd say if you think your company will be around in 18 months and you have no worries of them trying to get rid of you before then, stay there. Imagine if you take the job at Target, but they don't see you as STL material in 18 months and your former company burns out in 18 months, you will be in the same place in either situation. Even if they say you are not STL material yet and decide to keep you as LOG, you probably will have fallen into the carrot-on-a-stick premise that is all too common with this company.

Also, in the six years I have been with my store, I have seen 15+ LOGs and REPLs leave. Guess how many were to another position in the company? One, and he only was transferred because everyone under him hated him with a passion and would clog up the hotline with complaints.

Last edited:
I was offered an ETL position with a PG13. Was told they believe I'm ready for STL but would like me to be in an ETL role for 18 months first since I'm being hired external. They also told me that PG13 is the highest pay grade and makes me eligible for STL after 18 months. I have a business management degree and have 10+ years of customer service and sales experience. 5+ years of sales management experience.

I have yet to accept or decline the offer because they won't tell me the location I'd be working at. I also would have to leave a company I'm doing well in but the company has severe cash flow problems and has a chance of going out of business. Salaries are the same but I currently work Monday-Friday with all evenings and weekends off. Looking for some insight from those who are already with Target. Is this something that I should take with no hesitation or am I getting fed info just to make me excited about the opportunity?

I've also been told I will most likely get the ETL-Log position within a store with them wanting me to be STL in 18 months. I love running the sales floor and helping guests. Does the Log position keep me in the back-room my whole shift? What would be my core responsibilities as an ETL-Log?

PG13 is the spot before STL, however that does not guarantee you will be an STL. The process from 13 to STL is still a tough one and many people fail. They are putting you into the ETL-Logistics position to see how you do, as it is one of the harder positions both in store, and for work-life balance. It depends on your store and the process it has (6AM, 4AM, O/N) and if it is currently successful or needs fixed (which would come with its own challenges). If you do really well in Logistics, I could see STL being an easy step. If you do not, you will be stuck for a while.

In terms of salaries and schedules, you will be looking at a more consistent schedule if going into Logistics than the other positions. You will generally work the same shift all the time and rotate your weekends (most don't have to work nights unless its an ULV store). As an STL your schedule will not be M-F 8-4:30 either, but the salary is based on the store volume, so in larger stores you can make 100-150K a year!

My area does not have a overnight shift for log. It's either 4am 6am and even a 7 or 7:30. I have a good friend who works in the area as an ETL.

There are also no Sr. ETL's in this area from what I was told. Definitely a tough decision that's why I posted. I know my friend is telling me pg13 is as high as you can go before STL in this area. They're telling me to take the position regardless of knowing location or what my core role would be. Thanks for the input from you both.

My area does not have a overnight shift for log. It's either 4am 6am and even a 7 or 7:30. I have a good friend who works in the area as an ETL.

There are also no Sr. ETL's in this area from what I was told. Definitely a tough decision that's why I posted. I know my friend is telling me pg13 is as high as you can go before STL in this area. They're telling me to take the position regardless of knowing location or what my core role would be. Thanks for the input from you both.

Sounds like the entire district is low volume.

Note that if and when you get your own store as an STL, you might have to move elsewhere. My Sr. had to move from PA to MD (not that far) but still if you're the type to stay in place, they're put you where ever they need you. I think they also pay relocation costs.

Interestingly enough, he quit within a year of becoming STL and now has a great job at Apple. All that time and money developing him and he quit.

Daninnj, thanks! It's going to be a tough decision because now I work 40-45 hours a week working mon-fri making the same I would at Target working 50+. Love the 401K match and team member discounts though. We purchase all of our baby items at Target and would buy all groceries from there with the discount.

If @Mhugh220 could provide some advice that'd be awesome. Everyone I know who works for Target is saying LOG is what I'll most likely get. Thanks again.

I'll be glad to give you advice and share my experience with this decision. The difference between two people's experience at Target can be polar opposites. It really depends on your personal life and the store you're assigned. Target is great at talking themselves up. Your entire onboarding experience will be amazing. They do a great job of getting you to drink the punch but your experience doesn't start until after you're assigned to your store. Most likely, you won't know your position until the first day of "Business College" and you won't know your store until your 6 week training period is over (sometimes even longer). This is because you may be replacing someone they plan to fire and haven't done it yet. I was assigned to Log on my first day and I knew my store early because I was filling a void (a big void). I was assigned to an $80 Million, 2 level store that had an overnight process and has been missing a Log for 6 months. Another ETL-Replenishment that I was training with was in training for 7 months because the position wasn't open yet - not a bad deal but no bonus since you do not have a store or team.

ETL-Log is one of the most important and sometimes most difficult position to have before becoming an STL. If you can produce consistently green scores as a Log for 12-18 months then you can handle STL. If you walk into a great process then the transition will be easy. You will work normal hours and have a good time. However, there is a great chance you will be placed in a store that is blown-up. Makes sense because the logistics process is red and the current Log either quit or is being targeted for termination. They want you to fully experience Target before placing you in an STL position. Fix a red store and you're in. Logistics is about 60% of store operation scores. If Logistics is broken then the store is broken. You will be responsible for the Flow process, Backroom, Food delivery/flow process, Reverse Logistics, and Instocks. Depending on your location you may be responsible for facilities management (keeping the place clean and in working order) as well. Log was put in charge of our STF in AE14. Having an early morning process is a way for Target to save money. The logistics process should be overnight for all stores with 5 or more trucks a week, however recently they have changed to a 4am process, which several stores are struggling with. I find it challenging to stock the floor efficiently with guests in the store. You may also be the only ETL responsible for the flow process. I had an ETL-Replen but recent org chart changes are replacing that position with an hourly Sr. TL.

You will start your day with the truck unload and pulling autofills. Don't get upset when your nicely pressed khakis and red dress shirt get dirty. The flow process can get messy. Once the truck is finished the team will start pushing product to the floor. You will also be the only one with a key to the compactor (garbage) so expect to be dealing with that on a daily basis. I had some ETLs who were lazy so they would leave their garbage by the door for me to take care of. But I would get them back for it. Expect to put in some hard work and long hours. This isn't a sit in the office type of position. You will be right out there with the team until the process can run without you supervising it.

I had an ETL-HR that was uncooperative when it came to talent management. There were no repercussions for TMs who didn't show up to work, called out consistently, or were slow at doing their job. So the idea of firing TMs was out the door for me. Some TMs knew how to play the Target game very well. It was hard to get fired from our store.

I was given a similar promise as you were given - be a Log before STL. I saw them make similar promises to others and they didn't follow through. For instance, a Sr. TL (former ETL) was promised promotion to ETL last September (2013) - today he is still waiting for that promotion. He is by far the best employee in that store. When I saw the hours an STL works and Target started cutting several district/group positions, I decided to leave. I found a better job (higher pay/40 hours a week). I was putting in 60+ hours a week to get my process green. It was just too much on my wife and son (not being home and sleeping a lot). I had several 16+hour days, especially if there was a visit. And I am former military so working hard isn't a problem. For some reason my wife preferred deployments over me coming in and out.

In my time at Target, the store lost 3 STLs, 2 Logs, 3 Replens, 3 SL, 2 HL, 2 GE, and 1 HR. Very high turnover and the target is bigger on STLs.

Regardless of ETL position you will be working more than 50+ hours a week, possibly more between 4th quarter. They make you sign an agreement that you work over 50 hours. If you are making the same at your current position, as an ETL you will be working harder for the same amount of money, and you'll work every other weekend as well. Also as a log vacations are harder to take because it's hard to find a replacement while you are out. If my Replen went on vacation that meant I had to work every day he was gone (sometimes 14 days straight).

Last edited:
There are better retail chains to work for. My old Replen went back to Home Depot - makes more and works M-F. CarMax is basically were old ETLs/STLs went and heard it's a great place. I think this would be a risk move but not necessarily the worst choice. A lot of ETLs love their job. I picked family over Target

@Mhugh220 thanks for the advice. I would NOT like working 60+ hours making the same I'm making now. I'm ok with 50 but that's about all I'll give unless my pay increases. Those 50 hours I'll work my butt off giving 120% but I have a wife and daughter and another on the way so I've got to think about them. From the way it sounds, I have smaller stores in my district. Just a few do 4am trucks and the rest are either 6am or 7am. I really want the ETL-Hardline position because that's what I'm experienced in. I'm always open to new things but I'm not so sure about working 16 hours a day to do logistics. I'm more of a run the sales team and help guests type as well as do the responsibilities associated with hard lines.

If I take this opportunity, my position currently will be gone so there will be no coming back. Appreciate the information you gave. That helps me a lot.

Do you currently work in retail?

If you do, I'm taking a stab in the dark and assuming you work for RadioShack or Kmart.

If you work for RadioShack, I've heard the situation is pretty bleak and it's pretty much just waiting for the going out of business announcement.

Seeing as most analysts are predicting the demise before Christmas, I'd go ahead and take the job at target. Worst that can happen is try to find something else. It's not working with guests or sales related, but I enjoyed log much more then my guest experience role.

If you work for Kmart (like me before Target) or Sears... The end is near, but you would probably be safe for a little bit, unless the store you are working has a lease expiring soon or severly underperforming. In this case, I'd wait.

@bullseyekindaguy I don't currently work retail but if did work for Target a long time ago in high school as a TM. Then went to Best Buy then to Sprint and worked there as a sales manager. I left Sprint and work for a construction company now as a Service/Sales Manager. Company has a chance of going out of business and that's what made me apply for the ETL position.

OP, STL is a pretty good position to get if you can handle it. ETL is just an entry level position for college grads though, so you can expect some wonky hours. The pay is good, but it may strain your life/work balance since it's a job aimed at 20-something's.

Hey @RetailMgmt - I'm more of a lurker around these parts, but you seem to be in a similar position to where I was a little over a year ago.

I had worked retail right out of college and after several interviews and research (and finding this site), I thought Spot was a great opportunity. I was and ETL-LOG in an overnight process - Since O/N isn't an option for you, I'll save the details on that part of my story! :)

This was my first position and coming from the outside, it makes it extremely challenging. As many other people have mentioned, the LOG process plays a key role in many other parts of the store (not to mention having responsibility for the facilities maintenance as well). I found that not even having a basic knowledge of other areas of the store made my job extremely challenging when I first took the role. Your time in "business college" is spent learning a good/green LOG process and not much about the other areas and you'll probably go to a red store, so all that goes out the window when you can't come clean at the end of a shift. After my time, I really think that LOG should be a second position - many times, you're the only leader in the store and don't have many resources to bounce ideas off of...(this is more so in the O/N process, but will still be the case occasionally in a 4am process).

I spent a few weeks working in a 4am store and found that the work/life balance was slightly better in a 4am process - but keep in mind that 4am means you're going to sleep around 7 or 8 and getting up at 230-3 depending on where your store is - they usually try to get you within 45 minutes from what I was told. In the end, I was coming from a M-F 6a-6p job and going to a retail setting where you're working 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, etc is not fun. The every other weekend off sounds great, but after a while you just forget what day it is and they all seem the same!

In the end, Target was a good "go between" - I left after about 13 months - after my store lost the ETL - Replenishment position, I was fairly sure I'd go from 4 nights to 5 a week and wasn't hanging around to wait for it. I'm back to a Monday - Friday job and am much happier as is my family. Retail is what it is! On a final note, I would be extremely careful what is promised in interviews - from what I saw, turnover can be very common at Spot - the DTL you interview with could be termed or promoted tomorrow and that promise it out the window.

If you would like any more specifics - go ahead and PM me....good luck!

Are you sure you would be getting logistics? I have seen people come on board expecting one position and getting a completely different one because there was a opening in a different dept. many of the etl's are married to the store. It has crushed their home life because of the erratic hours and stress level that somehow works its way past target doors and into the living room. Some have left target and even retail to gain some semblance back in their lives.

Is the discount on baby items and groceries more important than being there for your family? Its only 10% and and extra 5% if you get a redcard. How does your wife feel about it? Discuss it with her.

I suggest spending time walking around some of the stores in your area and see what team moral looks like. If it seems low, you are going to have to help boost it if you decide to work there. If it seems good, you are going to have to see what is being done to keep team members happy. Go on a busy weekend and see how many times you hear team members asking for the lod (leader on duty) over the walkie. The walkie which will be attached to you every moment of your target day.

Changing jobs is always a big decision and you will hear some people here and in reality land saying its a great place to work for and others who want to desperately leave..

When people ask me how is it working for target, I have always said that they have been kind to me, but as new etl's come on board, there are many changes going on. They are young and have the starry eyed look of - I'm going to change this place - I'm not so fast to say that they are kind to me any more because I am not understanding the new elt's at all (not all but some) are not nice people in general. .so now when I am asked what it's like working for target I say it depends what leader is on duty.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do in your career. Keep us posted.

@rocket99 thanks for the reply. I'll send a PM if I have any specific questions.

@PinkZinnia I don't know for sure I'll get Log. I'm only basing that off what another ETL knows about me and what the DTL and Regional person said to me. The STL I interviewed with even thinks logistics is in my future.

It's funny I actually have been going to the possible stores I'd be placed at and just walked the store. Very different feels from store to store. A few seemed great and employees seemed happy and upbeat. Store also was clean and felt fresh to me. Went to another store and everyone seemed to be walking around unhappy. The store also seemed dirty to me and just felt negative to me.

By the way, I'm not just out of college either. I'm in my mid to late 20s married with one daughter and a second child on the way due in May or June. It's not worth taking the job just for the discount but is for job security and the long term benefits offered. I also know I won't be making 90K-120K at my current position within the next 5 years but could possibly be a STL in 18 months if all goes well. Wife is a stay at home mom so the fact of work/life balance isn't as much of a concern since she'll be here regardless. Personal life with our friends might be impacted though with switching.

@jackofallworkcenters That's exactly why I haven't accepted or declined my offer yet. I'm waiting to find out what store I'll be placed at. Then I plan to go to that store and spend a good chunk of time walking around getting a good feel. I really do care about this offer and the position. It's something I wanted to do when I worked there before. Now I have the opportunity to do it. Just don't want to mess things up at home or hate my job because I'm working extremely long hours.

@jackofallworkcenters That's exactly why I haven't accepted or declined my offer yet. I'm waiting to find out what store I'll be placed at. Then I plan to go to that store and spend a good chunk of time walking around getting a good feel. I really do care about this offer and the position. It's something I wanted to do when I worked there before. Now I have the opportunity to do it. Just don't want to mess things up at home or hate my job because I'm working extremely long hours.
Do you think they will tell you the exact store? If you are replacing someone or they are firing an ETL, they may not tell you until that person is actually termed. Target can be shady when they fire so if the person gets wind that they have a replacement and they don't even know they're being fired, there could be a problem. Rumors spread like wild fire at Target. We knew everyone's business from every store in our district.

Someone mentioned here that you shouldn't count on promises at interviews because the person making the promise might not be around long. This is the truth. Once those leaders move on, your deal can be out the door with them. My DTL left Target after 10 years. My STL left after 5. And because we are mostly high volume, the average time from ETL to STL is 3 years ( 2 ETL rotations at 2 different stores). I've seen this from seasoned retail managers - including former store managers of Walmart, Dick's, PetSmart, and TRU.

ETL is an entry level job for college students. Yes the pay is high but you don't work 40 hours so really it's less. You're expected to be on call, always. My DTL would call his STLs every day at 6am for a status update. Every day! Including during your vacations. My Team called me all the time.

My wife is a stay at home wife too. She still couldn't handle it. ETL HL would be nice and the work is alright. The con to retail is the schedule. Our day side ETLs would be at work closing until 12am or 1am (sometimes later) and be back to work to open a 6am. Definitely a different work/life balance than a typical job.

@rocket99 thanks for the reply. I'll send a PM if I have any specific questions.

@PinkZinnia I don't know for sure I'll get Log. I'm only basing that off what another ETL knows about me and what the DTL and Regional person said to me. The STL I interviewed with even thinks logistics is in my future.

It's funny I actually have been going to the possible stores I'd be placed at and just walked the store. Very different feels from store to store. A few seemed great and employees seemed happy and upbeat. Store also was clean and felt fresh to me. Went to another store and everyone seemed to be walking around unhappy. The store also seemed dirty to me and just felt negative to me.

By the way, I'm not just out of college either. I'm in my mid to late 20s married with one daughter and a second child on the way due in May or June. It's not worth taking the job just for the discount but is for job security and the long term benefits offered. I also know I won't be making 90K-120K at my current position within the next 5 years but could possibly be a STL in 18 months if all goes well. Wife is a stay at home mom so the fact of work/life balance isn't as much of a concern since she'll be here regardless. Personal life with our friends might be impacted though with switching.

Target isn't necessarily the best place to rely on job security. For the past 4 years, Target has been steadily thinning out their work force. From corporate down to TM. TL head counts are low, ETL positions are being replaced with Sr.TLs, and district/group level jobs are disappearing. Their motto is "We expect more, but you will have less to work with." ETLs are replaced quickly and STLs lose their jobs quicker than ETLs.

It makes sense. Most companies are finding ways to be more efficient. It just sucks for 4th quarter when you are supposed to be at 72 headcount for flow to survive and you're only allowed 55 TMs.

Take this all with a grain of salt. You may have the best experience of your life and make a career out of it, many have. Your goal should be to go beyond STL. District or Group positions have better work/life balance which will be nice when your kids grow up. It's easy to get burnt out being at the store for many years.

My good friend, ETL for 13 years, was promised a transfer back to his home state. He moved his family down to FL from MD. 2 weeks before leaving the DTL that made the promise got termed. His transfer got declined. Just another example of broken dreams, this one from a seasoned ETL.

Target isn't necessarily the best place to rely on job security. For the past 4 years, Target has been steadily thinning out their work force. From corporate down to TM. TL head counts are low, ETL positions are being replaced with Sr.TLs, and district/group level jobs are disappearing. Their motto is "We expect more, but you will have less to work with." ETLs are replaced quickly and STLs lose their jobs quicker than ETLs.

It makes sense. Most companies are finding ways to be more efficient. It just sucks for 4th quarter when you are supposed to be at 72 headcount for flow to survive and you're only allowed 55 TMs.

Take this all with a grain of salt. You may have the best experience of your life and make a career out of it, many have. Your goal should be to go beyond STL. District or Group positions have better work/life balance which will be nice when your kids grow up. It's easy to get burnt out being at the store for many years.

My good friend, ETL for 13 years, was promised a transfer back to his home state. He moved his family down to FL from MD. 2 weeks before leaving the DTL that made the promise got termed. His transfer got declined. Just another example of broken dreams, this one from a seasoned ETL.

Actually that is my goal to get to the DTL level and eventually the Group Leader level. It doesn't necessarily have to be with Target but that's always been a passion of mine to be more of a regional manager overseeing multiple states.
@Mhugh220 if you PM I can give you more specific information about my situation. I don't want to put it all out there for spot to see.

I've been chatting with my former ETL-HR back when I worked for Target in high school. This individual is telling me they gave Target 30+ years of their life and got transferred to a store over a hour from their house and put in a position they weren't overly happy with. They ended up having to leave the company. He/she was ETL-HR for most of those years then they placed him/her in ETL-softlines position at that store far from her house. Essentially kicking her out of the company without firing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back