ETL prospects, promotions, and other alternatives

I've heard around here that there's a mandate to reduce trained ETL attrition to zero this year. Have ETLs been leaving your store still at a high rate? I'm interviewing for an ETL role, and I think it's going well, but I'm also worried because of how long it's taken (over 5 weeks since first phone interview), the hiring recruiter's lack of communication, and that we're scheduled to have a call, not a final interview. My suspicion is that there aren't any ETL availabilities, so they're going to maybe offer me a team lead role?? Pay is similar in my region but I want to climb. I didn't think it would be a flat out rejection because otherwise they'd have just emailed me to let me know. I have an offer from Amazon right now too (sort of, it's what's called an incline) but I'd rather stick with target.

Edit: did not get the role. Was offered team lead role instead.

Last edited:
ETL turn over in our market has plateaued. I think Target is finally providing accommodations after rendering a lot of ETLs mentally ill…

I've heard around here that there's a mandate to reduce trained ETL attrition to zero this year. Have ETLs been leaving your store still at a high rate? I'm interviewing for an ETL role, and I think it's going well, but I'm also worried because of how long it's taken (over 5 weeks since first phone interview), the hiring recruiter's lack of communication, and that we're scheduled to have a call, not a final interview. My suspicion is that there aren't any ETL availabilities, so they're going to maybe offer me a team lead role?? Pay is similar in my region but I want to climb. I didn't think it would be a flat out rejection because otherwise they'd have just emailed me to let me know. I have an offer from Amazon right now too (sort of, it's what's called an incline) but I'd rather stick with target.
Go with Amazon!!

We have a lot around me and this is the time of year a lot jump ship. They grab there bonus and run. From what I've heard bonuses all around are pretty shit. After a challenging year a lot of people might see it as a slap in the face.

Go to Amazon.

Go with Amazon!!

Go to Amazon. And if Spot offers you a TL position, run like the wind!

I've been at Amazon before as a supervisor. Maybe it was site specific, but my toxic manager made me not want to return. Also, Amazon has only given me an incline, not an offer, which means that they still need to find a place for me. Even if they can get me my top choice warehouse, it would still be a 50+ mi commute each way every day for 12-hour overnight shifts, unless I can get one in a warehouse that they hadn't posted availability for when I applied. Their base pay is ~20k lower than Target's for ETL roles but with stock, I'm told it usually balances out. I'm considering TL roles too because in my market, they pay almost as much as ETL roles ($27/hr). I just want a higher-up salaried role because I want to be able to climb easier. Taking a TL role would be effectively a lateral move.

Last edited:
We have a lot around me and this is the time of year a lot jump ship. They grab there bonus and run. From what I've heard bonuses all around are pretty shit. After a challenging year a lot of people might see it as a slap in the face.
Okay, that's rough but at least it's good news for me

I’ve been an etl. Trust me. Go to Amazon. Fulfillment warehouse is where all the payroll is. I work in a fulfillment warehouse now (not amazon) and we never cut hours. My hubs worked for amazon in management and he preferred it over etl at target. He left target early 2000.

Fulfillment might be able to give my team the resources it needs, but Amazon retail barely breaks even. Its main revenue comes from ancillary services like AWS, government contracts, etc. Having worked as a supervisor at Amazon, it's all the same in my view. My bad experience there makes me reluctant to go back.

Last edited:
But a TL role gives you the opportunity for overtime $$….something an ETL doesn’t get. Maybe start as a TL, prove yourself and then move into an ETL role.
Money is only secondary to me. I want to advance, which is why I got my 4 year degree. Also I'm suspecting they'll give raises to ETL roles in my market soon, because if TLs are making that kind of money, why would anybody (besides people like me) bother with the promotion. Salary, no OT, all that stress, who needs that? Also, I'm reluctant to do this because I've always been under the impression that it's hard to promote internally.

Whelp, as I had suspected, they offered me a TL role. Pay is great in my market, on par with ETL, except it's hourly. I'm just saddened by this outcome. I'm considering on taking the TL role, and seeing how things go.

Money is only secondary to me. I want to advance, which is why I got my 4 year degree. Also I'm suspecting they'll give raises to ETL roles in my market soon, because if TLs are making that kind of money, why would anybody (besides people like me) bother with the promotion. Salary, no OT, all that stress, who needs that? Also, I'm reluctant to do this because I've always been under the impression that it's hard to promote internally.
A very valid point.

In a related matter my TL has been in that position for over ten years.

However he needs to be aware that he is a very expensive to Target as an hourly employee including his vacation accrual rate.

He needs to realize that you are just a number to a billion dollar corporation like Target and are at-will.

Target is ust now starting a new program to promote from within. My district has had several internal ETL promotions in the last few years. Far more than external hires. If you take the TL, start asking about promoting when you hit your 90 days and look for a mentor.

Target is ust now starting a new program to promote from within. My district has had several internal ETL promotions in the last few years. Far more than external hires. If you take the TL, start asking about promoting when you hit your 90 days and look for a mentor.
Good news for existing folks, bad news for folks like me

In my area when ETLs leave the positions are just lost and never posted to be filled. It seems ETL headcount overall is being reduced. Only positions that every store keeps for sure are GM ETL and HR ETL

Good news for existing folks, bad news for folks like me
We have a recent external hire ETL. Don't lose hope!

However, I do think it's a good idea to take the TL job and get your foot in the door. More importantly, it'll acclimate you with Target's way of doing things and make the ETL role MUCH easier.

We have a recent external hire ETL. Don't lose hope!

However, I do think it's a good idea to take the TL job and get your foot in the door. More importantly, it'll acclimate you with Target's way of doing things and make the ETL role MUCH easier.
Maybe. I just don't want to be held back another 18 months before moving forward, which is what I was told is the minimum amount of time in role before I am eligible for promotion to ETL

Back