Archived Excuse me, do you work here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about when you're shopping? You've got your purse on your shoulder, drinking a smoothie & carrying a basket full of groceries and they stop and ask you for help.

You do not help them if you are clocked out or on a break. You are possibly not covered by work comp, its possibly illegal for the store. And never give your time away, its respect, cause a customer would flip their shit if they were asked to work on their lunch.

I have had them flip and complain and the STL had to explain that the employees were allowed to shop on their time and could not be required or obligated to answer any questions on their time. They are guests when they are not working. That guest was ready to explode that we couldn't be forced to work for free.

I was shopping in HBA after I clocked out. Had a guest walk up to me to ask me something. Then she stopped and said, "Oh, you have your purse on your shoulder and you're obviously shopping." And then she apologized for bothering me. And if it's just something simple like where something was I would tell them. I do that in any other store if I know where it is.

How about when you're shopping? You've got your purse on your shoulder, drinking a smoothie & carrying a basket full of groceries and they stop and ask you for help.

You do not help them if you are clocked out or on a break. You are possibly not covered by work comp, its possibly illegal for the store. And never give your time away, its respect, cause a customer would flip their shit if they were asked to work on their lunch.

I have had them flip and complain and the STL had to explain that the employees were allowed to shop on their time and could not be required or obligated to answer any questions on their time. They are guests when they are not working. That guest was ready to explode that we couldn't be forced to work for free.
That's why you always bring a jacket, even if it's 100 degress out...

That's why you always bring a jacket, even if it's 100 degress out...

This was in my hoodie while surfing the web on my phone. Fuck off!

Someone asked me that while I was very obviously demonstrating that I worked there (sizing and picking up clearance racks in RTW). Patience worn thin, I kind of glanced down at my red and khaki, pda, and walkie and said "I don't know!".

My favorite is when you're at your register and your light is on and a guest comes over "Are you open?" Those are probably the same jacka$$es that get pissed off when they try to come to your line and your light is off and you tell them your lane is closed.

My favorite is when you're at your register and your light is on and a guest comes over "Are you open?" Those are probably the same jacka$$es that get pissed off when they try to come to your line and your light is off and you tell them your lane is closed.

Give a pass on that one, its a phrase used for lack of a better one. And they are asking instead of demanding.. Take it..

I had a guest the other day in shoes who called up another store on her phone, even though I was right there picking up shoes. She even mentioned to her daughter about how one of us should do it, and so instead of being rude and insisting I call instead, I simply said, "You can just press 0 instead of waiting through all the information." And she looks at me, and says sarcastically, "Thanks. Maybe next time." Turns to her daughter and pauses, "Oh, does she work here?"

We had a guest flip a wig because they were in line and opened another cl and the team member went before her. She went to the LOD he said nothing we can do about they are guests to. We got a lecture later but oh well.

Overheard technically, since I said it in front of my "team" I don't have different personalities for different people so I don't hold back. Also, I have one of the biggest kiss-ass, two faced Spot plants on my team too. This whale must weigh 400lbs but when they need to haul it boy can they move. Forgive the language here people, I don't usually curse or call out people for physical characteristics. Actually I never do, but true is true.

In the store I used to work, guests could see into the break room through the window in the double fire doors if the break room door was open. I was clocked out, on lunch and sitting at a table eating. A guest started banging on the doors demanding I come out and help her. I shook my head no and continued to eat. She FLIPPED out and started screaming and pounding on the door. (It was unlocked but said team members only). I got up and walked out of her sight and where she couldn't see me closed the break room door so she could no longer see in. This made things much worse and eventually the LOD and HRETL got involved and settled it. I did get called into HR's office to explain myself. (EXCUSE ME! I'M F-----G ON LUNCH AND SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!) I was told I needed to be professional. Not to worry, I had worked there long enough to know how to play the game. I said she scared me and I felt threatened and afraid to come out. I also said I didn't answer because I had a mouthful of food. So no repercussions for being screamed at by a crazy person because yeah that was my fault. We were told to keep the break room door closed after that. Didn't last long because it was too hot with the door closed.

Last edited:
In the store I used to work, guests could see into the break room through the window in the double fire doors if the break room door was open. I was clocked out, on lunch and sitting at a table eating. A guest started banging on the doors demanding I come out and help her. I shook my head no and continued to eat. She FLIPPED out and started screaming and pounding on the door. (It was unlocked but said team members only). I got up and walked out of her sight and where she couldn't see me closed the break room door so she could no longer see in. This made things much worse and eventually the LOD and HRETL got involved and settled it. I did get called into HR's office to explain myself. (EXCUSE ME! I'M F-----G ON LUNCH AND SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!) I was told I needed to be professional. Not to worry, I had worked there long enough to know how to play the game. I said she scared me and I felt threatened and afraid to come out. I also said I didn't answer because I had a mouthful of food. So no repercussions for being screamed at by a crazy person because yeah that was my fault. We were told to keep the break room door closed after that. Didn't last long because it was too hot with the door closed.

Yeah no. I will be sure to tell the hotline that you specifically said to work on my unpaid meal break, to serve the crazy agitated customer trying to enter an off stage area. Ok got it..

Last week, I was doing a little shopping before clocking in, and as I was walking with my arms full, I heard someone calling from behind me, "Excuse me. Excuse me! EXCUSE ME!" I just kept on walking without turning at all, and I'll be perfectly honest, it felt phenomenal.

Last week, I was doing a little shopping before clocking in, and as I was walking with my arms full, I heard someone calling from behind me, "Excuse me. Excuse me! EXCUSE ME!" I just kept on walking without turning at all, and I'll be perfectly honest, it felt phenomenal.

I've done that before. I figure I can always say that they certainly couldn't be calling me...nor should I be answering. I don't hide on the floor...I take off my name tag and generally carry my purse. If a guest walks up to me and insists on talking to me (the lack of eye contact and turning down empty aisles is usually a big enough clue), I apologize and tell them I'm on my break. And I always do this without breaking stride. Never stop. I had one get pissed at me a couple of weeks ago for it, but I was so ticked off, I didn't care.

I had an inverse experience one day. I was on break walking back towards market to get food carrying my purse but wearing a red target shirt with bullseyes all over it (yes, yes, I too like to live dangerously). A guest commented to me "Look at you! You look just like you work at Target!" She didn't ask for help with anything; she just wanted to comment on my Target-like attire. Well, I look like I work at Target because I do, dumbass! She wasn't rude or anything, but geez ... how clueless can you be?

I've done that before. I figure I can always say that they certainly couldn't be calling me...nor should I be answering. I don't hide on the floor...I take off my name tag and generally carry my purse. If a guest walks up to me and insists on talking to me (the lack of eye contact and turning down empty aisles is usually a big enough clue), I apologize and tell them I'm on my break. And I always do this without breaking stride. Never stop. I had one get pissed at me a couple of weeks ago for it, but I was so ticked off, I didn't care.
I'm the same way, except I'll point the guest in the direction of someone who can help.
Sometimes i'll forget to pick something up after work, so i drop by the target closer to my house. When someone asks me where to find something, even though the store layouts are completely identical, i'll keep walking like i'm off in my own little world.

Keep this thread going! I had a guest ask me if I can find someone who works here today..I lost All faith in humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back