Archived External Food TL Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQuietStorm

ETL GM & Food
Hello,

I just got hired as a Food TL. Will be in charge of around 15 TMs and overseeing the frozen, dairy, produce, dry food, ect; departments.

Any tips on what I should do to be successful are appreciated.

My STL stressed the importance of talent management. Any tips on that is appreciated as well. Really anything you can tell me to be the best TL possible to my team would be helpful.

Thanks

Do you have cafe or Starbucks that you in charge of as well?

We have a cafe and Starbucks but I won't be in charge of them.

15 TMs wow .. i'm at a 64.6 million store and we only have 7 TMs and only 5 to push dairy, frozen, produce.

you will have more than enough TMs to get your job done ,don't forget about the cleaning and check dates. Cull all the areas and pull off all the expired stuff every day.
Look at the Target brand snacks and chips they are always out of date. keep the produce FRESH and full by 9 AM.
coupon the meat about 3 or 4 days out so it sells and less to toss, qmos. Make sure you donate as much as possible.

If the STL is stressing talent management before you even begin, I assume there are some major productivity issues on the Food team. I'd observe for a couple shifts until you can zero in on the productivity opportunities. A lot of TMs don't pay attention to what they are doing and how to be more efficient. There's a correct way to stock a box and there's a slow way to do it. There's a correct way to FIFO, and there's the slow way, etc, etc, etc. Don't let the TMs claim 'this is the way we have always done it' for a second. I assume there wouldn't be a need for a new Food TL and the STL stressing accountability if the team was performing well.

Is this team lead position really bad? Everyone is like don't do it but I mean is it?

200???? We have stores that big? Hot damn. Careful though cause this may out you. Not many stores have sales that high. We try to stay anonymous but it’s up to you.
I thought the same thing like they must have 30 register turning out guests all day long

And must get 2 or 3 trucks a day.

Hello,

I just got hired as a Food TL. Will be in charge of around 15 TMs and overseeing the frozen, dairy, produce, dry food, ect; departments.

Any tips on what I should do to be successful are appreciated.

My STL stressed the importance of talent management. Any tips on that is appreciated as well. Really anything you can tell me to be the best TL possible to my team would be helpful.

Thanks
As a Food TL who oversees both SBux as well as all aspects of Market both fresh and dry, the biggest thing you can do to be successful is manage your time in a way where you are interacting with all scheduled TMs in your departments every time you're scheduled. I make a concerted effort to teach, train, and coach at least once every day.

Over the past year I've helped promote 2 TMs from Food TM to Food Assistant and 1 TM from Barista to Advanced Store Tech.

I would say though since company priorities are changing esp with operating models re-aligning next year, focus on performance management and how you can support your TMs to succeed. Also build a strong relationship with your Food and Bev director as they'll be able to advocate to District/Corporate on your behalf if you specialty fixtures, help holding vendors accountable, localizing your food assortment, etc. Also don't forget to check Transition Workload Tool on Workbench to make sure you set your endcaps on time! Also under Transition Communication you can find the "Incremental Space Guide" which tells you what can and cannot be set on the floor i.e. shippers, displays. It updates every week and will call out whether the display is to be set by the store or set by the vendor. If it's not on the guide, don't set it out; and most importantly, don't be afraid to tell vendors "no!".

If you focus on your metrics, BRLA in Coolers, Freezers, and Dry aisles, SDA completion, ORder Guardrail, Set on Time, Location Accuracy, and most importantly Steritech, you'll be fine!

Stay food safe, check your numbers, and be bold. That's what'll make you a good leader! Congrats on your promotion, stay curious and PM me if you have any questions!! :D

As a Food TL who oversees both SBux as well as all aspects of Market both fresh and dry, the biggest thing you can do to be successful is manage your time in a way where you are interacting with all scheduled TMs in your departments every time you're scheduled. I make a concerted effort to teach, train, and coach at least once every day.

Over the past year I've helped promote 2 TMs from Food TM to Food Assistant and 1 TM from Barista to Advanced Store Tech.

I would say though since company priorities are changing esp with operating models re-aligning next year, focus on performance management and how you can support your TMs to succeed. Also build a strong relationship with your Food and Bev director as they'll be able to advocate to District/Corporate on your behalf if you specialty fixtures, help holding vendors accountable, localizing your food assortment, etc. Also don't forget to check Transition Workload Tool on Workbench to make sure you set your endcaps on time! Also under Transition Communication you can find the "Incremental Space Guide" which tells you what can and cannot be set on the floor i.e. shippers, displays. It updates every week and will call out whether the display is to be set by the store or set by the vendor. If it's not on the guide, don't set it out; and most importantly, don't be afraid to tell vendors "no!".

If you focus on your metrics, BRLA in Coolers, Freezers, and Dry aisles, SDA completion, ORder Guardrail, Set on Time, Location Accuracy, and most importantly Steritech, you'll be fine!

Stay food safe, check your numbers, and be bold. That's what'll make you a good leader! Congrats on your promotion, stay curious and PM me if you have any questions!! :D
Is FSA still a thing? Whats the pay difference between FSA and regular TMs?

Is FSA still a thing? Whats the pay difference between FSA and regular TMs?
They're like starting to go away... but prior to this years news abt store structure changes ETL-HRs were more empowered to retain with compensation to get "experts" in the door. I think that is largely on hold now since compensation structures are going to change when the new rollout starts next year.

For the time being though, there is still a PA designation under the "skill" column on myTime.

As for pay difference I believe we just did a $.50 bump.

How did you know TBR existed? And what is your background prior to getting hired Food TL at Target?

If the STL is stressing talent management before you even begin, I assume there are some major productivity issues on the Food team. I'd observe for a couple shifts until you can zero in on the productivity opportunities. A lot of TMs don't pay attention to what they are doing and how to be more efficient. There's a correct way to stock a box and there's a slow way to do it. There's a correct way to FIFO, and there's the slow way, etc, etc, etc. Don't let the TMs claim 'this is the way we have always done it' for a second. I assume there wouldn't be a need for a new Food TL and the STL stressing accountability if the team was performing well.

This is NOT true if the store got rid of the Food TL position completely and reintroduced it with Food/Starbucks TL a year ago and then split those up again. I was basically in charge of the market deparment for over a year without any TL and then our Starbucks TL got Market added on and just recently went back to ONLY starbucks and they did an outside hire for food TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back