Archived Fair winds and following seas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was my last shift at Target. I wasn't a seasonal, despite being hired at the same time (they hired me as electronics), but I decided to resign anyway. I'm starting an unpaid internship working with a nonprofit that does political outreach for improving public transportation in a couple days (I want to work as a transportation planner for the city, so this is a good first step), and I'm graduating university with dual BAs in Geography (GIS focus) and Urban Studies (transportation focus) in May, so I wanted to focus these last months of college on knocking out my crucial Python coding for GIS and senior seminar classes, performing strongly in my internship, looking for a full time job, and doing grad school applications. I just don't see the time for Target with all that, or the desire to deal with the stress, and my Grandmother has offered to send money if I need it. So, I'm closing the door on my retail years and focusing on school. I filled out the voluntary termination paperwork about two and a half weeks ago (shortly before I flew to Europe), then came back from vacation and worked my last scheduled shift, so HR says I'm welcome to reapply in the future, but to be honest, I do hope to escape the retail industry for the rest of my life. I've made sure not to burn my bridge with Target just in case bad things happen and I need any job I can get, but I don't like the retail industry, and I have other places I want to go.

Congratulations and the best of luck in your studies and future career!!

tumblr_m41e2o5nhT1rw7k3jo1_500.gif

Stuff2, your story was very inspirational. In a way, I kind of envy you because you followed your passion and didn't stay at Target too long and didn't get burned out. I left Target after 7 and a half years in June of 2016 and I have always regretted staying there way too long. Ages ago, I was like you and wanted to go to college and have a decent paying job after graduation but things didn't go my way. I got my degree in December 2007 but never got a good paying job and would up at Target in 2008. Even at the job I've had after leaving Target, I'm still not satisfied. Basically, the moral of the story is don't settle. Follow your heart and passion and never give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back