Archived Fast Fun & Friendly for TM’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO! I’m in HR and one of my favorite tasks is providing an awesome calendar, filled with events that the team will actually enjoy! I have an event/activity every day, but I’m running out of ideas. What are some of your favorite activities/events that your HR has hosted in the break room/clerical?

HELLO! I’m in HR and one of my favorite tasks is providing an awesome calendar, filled with events that the team will actually enjoy! I have an event/activity every day, but I’m running out of ideas. What are some of your favorite activities/events that your HR has hosted in the break room/clerical?
🙄

I personally could care less about games, coloring or watching a movie in the break room. Only game I would be interested in is something where I can win a gift card.

Free food is always a plus in my book!

Wellness (or Watermelon if budget is tight) Wednesday.
Muffin Monday.
Make your own Sundaes.
Chips & Soda.
Nachos.

I'm sure others can suggest new or different ideas for food options.

And hats off to you to even attempt to have something everyday. My store is two, maybe 3 times a week.

Minor peeve of mine - these things always take place during day shift and there's no provision for the closers. Especially when it's food. I come in at 4 or 6 pm and there's just scraps and dirty dishes. Really makes you feel appreciated to constantly be excluded.

So PLEASE make sure you plan ahead and have enough for the evening crew, or even set up some special events just for them that the dayshifters don't get to be in on.

We used to do a zoning event where hr would hide one of those bullseye dog stuffed animal in the worst area of each department. Those team members who found the dog got to keep him. I enjoyed those.

And food. I choose food over most things. Pb&j is supposed to always be on hand in the breakroom according to my HR. I also enjoy samples of market pantry microwaves like burgers or chicken sandwiches. Ice cream, breakfast, or chips and dip are also nice. If budget is tight, pot lucks go over well in my store.

We have also had success with cutest pet competions where TMs vote on whose pet is cutest from a set of pictures.

Minor peeve of mine - these things always take place during day shift and there's no provision for the closers. Especially when it's food. I come in at 4 or 6 pm and there's just scraps and dirty dishes. Really makes you feel appreciated to constantly be excluded.

So PLEASE make sure you plan ahead and have enough for the evening crew, or even set up some special events just for them that the dayshifters don't get to be in on.
Yep. I'm surprised no one got food poisoning from what little scraps of meat were left. I never understood why half or so couldn't be held back and put in the break room late afternoon.

Our hr is awesome at spreading out the food so its there all day! We are lucky.
This ^

I’ll only put out half of the food at the beginning of the day. We only have food when on a truck day and they start going to break about 45 minutes after we open. After everyone has had their first round of breaks I’ll gently replenish throughout the day. But I’ll always keep at minimum a quarter for the closers. The closing TL knows where I keep it stashed and he pulls it out for the Team. (I tend to leave at 4, so there is always plenty for the closers.) We’re huge fans of crockpots so the food stays safely warm. I also put out slips of paper for the TMs to anonymously leave any dietary restrictions or ideas. It’s good to know what allergies your team could have and ideas from them are always appreciated!

Events the Team likes?
Cereal Saturday (don’t forget a dairy free milk)
Ice cream sundaes/floats
S’mores (we’ll grab lots of frosting flavors, pb&j, marshmallows and fluff - basically anything that works on a graham cracker is fair game!)
Tune In Tuesday (new movie drawing)
Guess How Many! (Partner with the front to get any candy that needs to be defected. Save your budget where you can! I also requisition a 12 pack of quart size mason jars for these)
If a guest returns cases of water we’ll get flavor packets
Juice boxes and fruit snacks for the first day of school
Popsicles and ice cream sandwiches
Soup and grilled cheese
Taco bar is a favorite 😍
Salad bar is a close second
Pizza for overnights
We’ve done smoothies and waffles before but my Team prefers pop tarts and oj 🤷‍♀️

I’ve kept track of everything we’ve given the Team over the last half decade, these are just our favorites. If you need any more ideas just let me know! 😁

This ^

I’ll only put out half of the food at the beginning of the day. We only have food when on a truck day and they start going to break about 45 minutes after we open. After everyone has had their first round of breaks I’ll gently replenish throughout the day. But I’ll always keep at minimum a quarter for the closers. The closing TL knows where I keep it stashed and he pulls it out for the Team. (I tend to leave at 4, so there is always plenty for the closers.) We’re huge fans of crockpots so the food stays safely warm. I also put out slips of paper for the TMs to anonymously leave any dietary restrictions or ideas. It’s good to know what allergies your team could have and ideas from them are always appreciated!

Events the Team likes?
Cereal Saturday (don’t forget a dairy free milk)
Ice cream sundaes/floats
S’mores (we’ll grab lots of frosting flavors, pb&j, marshmallows and fluff - basically anything that works on a graham cracker is fair game!)
Tune In Tuesday (new movie drawing)
Guess How Many! (Partner with the front to get any candy that needs to be defected. Save your budget where you can! I also requisition a 12 pack of quart size mason jars for these)
If a guest returns cases of water we’ll get flavor packets
Juice boxes and fruit snacks for the first day of school
Popsicles and ice cream sandwiches
Soup and grilled cheese
Taco bar is a favorite 😍
Salad bar is a close second
Pizza for overnights
We’ve done smoothies and waffles before but my Team prefers pop tarts and oj 🤷‍♀️

I’ve kept track of everything we’ve given the Team over the last half decade, these are just our favorites. If you need any more ideas just let me know! 😁
Thank you!!! I will definitely use some of these ideas! I always make sure to have some for the evening team because I know they don’t always feel appreciated. I just run out of ideas to do every single day 🤦🏻‍♀️

I applaud your effort.
When you have food in the break room, please do a refill, refresh every hour. Make sure you designate someone to take over when you leave. If you run out, have a fly fest or crumbs only it actually works against morale.
If you say you are going to have food, HAVE IT! A lot of team members will be counting on pizza or hot dogs for break. Don't disappoint.
If you do cake, Buy 3 smaller ones and have them for different times of the day. No one wants to eat stale frosting off the cardboard
When you have chips, think about small lunch sized bags. Half of the team members never wash their hands. Digging their grimy paws in large bags of chips...ugh
Big food days on the off pay cycle. Cash is running low for many folks

Presentation counts!!! Make it look like there is some thought put into it!
Sack lunches, yep just like school. A PBJ sandwich, pudding cup, capri sun and a cookie. Put it all in a brown lunch sack.
Strawberry shortcakes. get some sundae cups at a GFS and have them already made
Plastic cups filled with celery and carrots and a small container of ranch.
Chili! Have crackers, shredded cheese and sour cream
Have the ETLs grill for a tailgate party.
Cookies and milk, Do NOT grab oreos or chips ahoy. Spend and get some actual bakery cookies. Arrange them on trays (fresh trays for different shifts!)

For breakroom fun
Get to know the leaders. Have each one answer some simple questions i.e. first job, where they were born, favorite candy bar etc. Then have the team try to guess who is who
Always have a puzzle table. Some people just want to loose themselves even if they just find one piece
Big sign "WALKIE FREE ZONE" and stick to it. Let the team know you value their breaktime
decorate mini pumpkins. no carving just markers and glue ons
Christmas wreaths for each team. Decorate accordingly, front end, logistics, softness beauty electronics etc. Use to decorate the break room for the holidays
butcher paper on tables with buckets of crayons markers etc. Doodle away. We have some really great artists and poets wearing red and khaki
Challenge the ETLs and TLS to take breaks in the actual break room. The ivory tower mentality is a killer.
pictures of pets for the fridge door! Everyone loves to show off their pets

Again follow through!
Keep it fresh and clean
Ask the team what they would like some will even want to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back