Archived Feels Like Medical Condition Discrimination at Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samebutunique

Hi,

I'd be glad to be able to work for such a company as Target. After my 4th interview at the same store with an interviewer different from the 3 before (including once the store team leader) on Friday I realized some of the questions they had asked me were discriminatory to my medical condition regarding my previous studies at university.

Because I wrote in the application that either I have some college done or that I have attended college, I was asked if I am done with school at a 4 year university, to which I responded to with "no, I've got 2 more years left."

At some point I mentioned that I've learned that I have to either study full-time or work full-time, but not both at the same time. I also did mention that I need to work full-time for health insurance, even if it means working in leadership (that I'm willing to do anything to work full-time when school is not in session and take a leave of absence for when school is session until I receive my degree. This is regardless of if benefits apply when on leave).

Then I was asked if I study full-time or part-time, in that order. I responded with "I study full-time, but with the minimal amount of units required for full-time," finding out that the interviewer both works and studies full-time.

Then I was asked how many units I take, telling them "13 units." Next, if 13 units is 4 classes, responding with "no. It is 3 classes."

Upon ending the interview I was told to wait in the break room and after the interviewer came back they shared that I will be receiving an email in a couple of days. I asked if the email is a declined offer email, to which they responded yes.

Right before leaving the employee part of the store I asked the interviewer what to tell my next choice Target store when they interview me. They said "good question," and asked their store team leader in a room with the door open with someone else there. There were three employees; the store team leader, the interviewer and someone else, as well as me outside of the room. I got the impression that the store team leader didn't have a legitimate reason for not making a job offer (4th interview for logistics, previous 3 for a cashier position) because the store team leader had told me to have the next choice store call them rather than tell me what to tell my next choice location.

Later in the day I tell the Leader on Duty over the phone that I need to the store team leader to call me back
because their interviewer had discriminated me.

The store team leader calls me back the following day while I'm at work and leaves me a voicemail saying that they, the store team leader, got my message. I call the store during a break and am told by the operator (when asking if the store team leader is in the store) that "the store team leader is not available.” I ask if the store team leader is in the store, to which the operator responds with "I am not able to tell you if the store team leader is or isn't in the store."

Operators of the store start refusing to give their name to me when asked and encouraged to be open over the phone.

Eventually I find out the first name of the district manager and the district the store is in.

Today I called customer relations to email the district manager, who I later left a voicemail through the district office before the end of the work day. I had been told that the supervisor of the customer relations representative was also not available and could only get back to me in several business days.

I'm hoping to hear what others think of my situation.

-samebutunique

I call the store during a break and am told by the operator (when asking if the store team leader is in the store) that "the store team leader is not available.” I ask if the store team leader is in the store, to which the operator responds with "I am not able to tell you if the store team leader is or isn't in the store."
is supposed to be

I call the store during my work break to reach the store team leader and am told by the operator that "the store team leader is not available.” I ask if the store team leader is in the store, to which the operator responds with "I am not able to tell you if the store team leader is or isn't in the store."

To be honest, posting this is sort of rash on my part. I'd be glad to delete this if given an opportunity.

How were you discriminated against ?
Why does the interviewer need to know, after telling them that I do not plan to work and study at the same time, about if I study full-time or part-time, how many units I take or if 13 units is 4 classes?

To be honest, I am forgetting to thank Planosss for asking a straightforward question.

is supposed to be

I call the store during my work break to reach the store team leader and am told by the operator that "the store team leader is not available.” I ask if the store team leader is in the store, to which the operator responds with "I am not able to tell you if the store team leader is or isn't in the store."

To be honest, posting this is sort of rash on my part. I'd be glad to delete this if given an opportunity.

Why does the interviewer need to know, after telling them that I do not plan to work and study at the same time, about if I study full-time or part-time, how many units I take or if 13 units is 4 classes?
Maybe you're thinking to much into it? Maybe they were just making small talk in between questions. I sometimes ask my interviewees things based either on their responses to questions asked. Even than in regards to your "issue", I still don't see any discriminating? Nor do I see in your post about a medical condition.

For all we know you could have been turned down because your response to the questions they asked didn't align with their store needs or your availability didn't align.

Maybe you're thinking to much into it? Maybe they were just making small talk in between questions. I sometimes ask my interviewees things based either on their responses to questions asked. Even than in regards to your "issue", I still don't see any discriminating? Nor do I see in your post about a medical condition.

For all we know you could have been turned down because your response to the questions they asked didn't align with their store needs or your availability didn't align.

Thank you for addressing being turned down.
How are my responses regarding my education history and work preferences not aligning with the store's needs?

How are my responses regarding my education history and work preferences not aligning with the store's needs?
I'm pretty sure they asked you more questions than your education history and work preferences...You are asked 3 situational questions with every interviewer you are with. :rolleyes:

When I interview people, I can care less about your education. If what I am hearing from you based on the questions Target requires me to ask you doesn't meet what I want in a Team Member. I will not move them along in the process.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they asked you more questions than your education history and work preferences...You are asked 3 situational questions with every interviewer you are with. :rolleyes:

When I interview people, I can care less about your education. If what I am hearing from you based on the questions Target requires me to ask you doesn't meet what I want in a Team Member. I will not move them along in the process.

I don't think you mean to say that having gone to school while studying full-time with 13 units and 4 classes doesn't meet what you want in a team memeber, do you?

Again, I'm pretty they asked you other questions. It seems like you're dead set on whatever you believe. So I'm not going to respond further.

Just remember, going into a job interview. You won't be given a job every time, no matter how much you believe you are what a business needs. Or else everyone would have a job :rolleyes:

I don't think you mean to say that having gone to school while studying full-time with 13 units and 4 classes doesn't meet what you want in a team memeber, do you?

Possibly. They might need someone with open availability. They have zero obligation to accommodate you on that. There are a ton of reasons they could have decided not to hire you. Better luck next time.

Possibly. They might need someone with open availability. They have zero obligation to accommodate you on that. There are a ton of reasons they could have decided not to hire you. Better luck next time.
I'm not perfect and I might be a sensitive individual, but I do prefer if you read at least the 3rd paragraph of my first post and not assume I have anything but full availability. Thank you.

Thank you guys for the responses. I'll be back in the morning.

It doesn't really matter what you plan or expect when you're studying full-time. In my experience, full time schooling/study often means you eventually (sooner or later) can't commit to full, open availability.

...which is probably what they're looking for. If there's anything that could potentially interfere with scheduling, it's their choice whether to give you the offer or not. Perhaps another candidate had the same availability, but wasn't enrolled in school at all (or has finished school), etc. Just based on your answers in your own post, it seems like you're not exactly sure how much you'll be working and how much you'll be studying.

I honestly don't see any discrimination here at all.

Maybe don't read too much into things.

EDIT: and maybe I missed it, but I don't see how a medical condition fits in here? Nobody is required or forced to hire you just because you need health insurance for a medical condition.

My questions is... What positions were open that you were applying to?

If it was not for a team lead position, then stating that you require full time hours probably was another reason for you to be turned down. There are very few positions outside of a TL that give full time hours.

It doesn't really matter what you plan or expect when you're studying full-time. In my experience, full time schooling/study often means you eventually (sooner or later) can't commit to full, open availability.

...which is probably what they're looking for. If there's anything that could potentially interfere with scheduling, it's their choice whether to give you the offer or not. Perhaps another candidate had the same availability, but wasn't enrolled in school at all (or has finished school), etc. Just based on your answers in your own post, it seems like you're not exactly sure how much you'll be working and how much you'll be studying.

I honestly don't see any discrimination here at all.

Maybe don't read too much into things.

EDIT: and maybe I missed it, but I don't see how a medical condition fits in here? Nobody is required or forced to hire you just because you need health insurance for a medical condition.

Me either. I don't see the discrimination here. And I specifically don't see how this is a medical situation. I vote for annoying.

Sorry, but I can't see someone wanting you on their team with this mindset. "They gave me the freezer POG and my boss knows I don't like the cold."

I'm sorry to be harsh, but any company needs to see you as an asset not a liability. By going at it from this angle, you seem like the type of person who will always have an issue.

I wish the best of luck at school and in your further job hunting.

For everyone else that was as clueless as me when it comes to what medical condition was discriminated against, I believe OP is referring to the fact that they need health insurance (as stated in paragraph 3).

OP the reason why you were not offered a job wasn't due to any potential medical conditions you have, the main reason is your availability. If your not available to work any hours while you are in school then they will not hire you. There are many other candidates that have totally open availability and can push freight just as good as you can. As a company, why would you want to juggle figuring out 40 people's different schedules when you can just hire someone that is open all the time and you can plug them in whenever? I would suggest you re-apply after you finish school or open up your availability so that you arent on a LOA (ie, working fri, sat and sunday) or apply elsewhere.

Going into an interview with a mindset of here are hours I want to work for you, expecting full time, I would not hire you. Spot was looking a person to fill a certain amt of hours for the business needs.
I don't see the medical thing either., like others have said.
Please learn from this experience, don't try to control the interview if you want that job.

OP are you aware that even if Target hired you, none of the team members receive health insurance until they have worked for a while (about a year)?

In the interview, it sounds like you stated that you want to work full time and then take multiple long LOAs. Please correct me if I’m wrong about that.

If it’s for a part time position, I wouldn’t hire you - I can’t guarantee full time hours and I don’t want you to quit after a month when you realize you’ll never get the amount of hours you want.

If it’s for a full time position, I don’t want to hire someone who plans on going on a leave of absence more than once, generally speaking.

Also, I’m failing to make the connection between this situation and your medical condition. The title is “Medical Condition Discrimination at Interview” but you didn’t seem to mention a medical condition in the interview or in the post at all.

I’ve been doing non-stop interviews for the past few weeks. I wouldn’t have hired you. I need flexibility and a willingness to have a flexible amount of hours, and wanting ~38hrs/wk plus availability I can foresee shrinking in the future make this a no thanks for me. Also, 4 interviews? Including the STL? You had plenty of chances to make a good impression.

Unless it's 4th quarter I don't hire people looking for full time positions unless I've lost someone with open availability recently. If it's 4th quarter and the hours fall from the sky then yes full time is an option. Retail is a plan for flexibility, both you and the company.

Usually I'm looking for people with full availability on the weekends and the ability to either close or open. School is tough, and if you have to take weekends off to study don't expect full time. Once someone has proven themselves if their availability changes I'll work with them, but I'm not looking to plan for that at the start.

I think it's dumb Target only asks the average hours you're looking for and the max hours you can work. They should ask the minimum hours a person would be willing to work a week. If you're weekly minimum is 40 hours and your availability is 40 hours you will need to interview extremely well and know that some weeks you're going to get scheduled for 20.

When I was hired for seasonally originally I was looking for 40 hours, as that's what I had and Target would be a pay cut, but I also had 10 years retail experience and a friend worked at the Target where I applied. They hired me, but didn't think I'd stick around. Instead I learned Target culture and moved up quickly. I know it pissed off people that had been at Target longer, but I think they got over it when I started teaching them instead of knowing nothing and getting the positions.

Starbucks or 7-11 is a better option if you're primarily looking for health insurance, then go to Target with limited availablity looking for hours.

I want to thank everyone for asking probing questions. I am still confused as to how the OP was discriminated against?
I guess given the OPs definition of discrimination, I discriminate and am highly prejudice towards people all the time based on their limited, conflicting and unpredictable availability.
There might as well be a sign at my desk saying “poor availability, need not apply”
I just don’t like their kind. They come to our stores, and deplete our resources with their limited availability. They don’t contribute in any meaningful way at all. Fu$&king Limis (pronounced LimmeeeZ)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back