Archived Final Farewell (warning, I rant a "little")

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaristaGotGame

Starbucks AST
After a collective 4 years at Target, I am out as of the 27th. I have worked about 75% of the store, worked my rump off, and dealt with some of the crappiest management I have had the displeasure of working under.

My Target history involves being exclusively Target Cafe from 2012 to 2014, quitting and telling myself to never return to retail/fast food, then two years later forgetting that last bit andand applying for Starbucks.

Only the same day as my interview they gave the Starbucks opening to someone else and I got stuck cashiering for two and a half months. Then I moved to market and sales floor, essentially forcing my way into getting cross trained in electronics, backroom, truck, and beauty. The only thing I told my ETL (who later quit, but he was honestly the best thing to come from a Target work environment) was that I never wanted to work in Softlines, GSA, or Guest Services. He helped make that happen. But still getting me into Starbucks was a pain on both of our butts (our STL is the worst piece if work).

Three months after moving to market and sales floor, I finally started training in Starbucks. Because of my experience as a supervisor at a previous job (pay cuts suck), they asked me about AST training right before the holidays last year. I finished this January, became full-time Starbucks, and my best friend (who helped me go for Starbucks in the first place) finished her CNA and left me as the sole AST that April. We both knew it was coming, and we both agreed on the next AST option. Our TL did as well, but actually starting her AST never happened.

I begged to be scheduled with her to get her started with the books, but that never happened. Our new ETL that oversaw Starbucks and wrote the schedule hates me for no reason that I am aware of. After handing in my notice, I asked him the next day "what is your issue with me?". He just shrugged and walked away. Okay, it's not like you cost Starbucks over $500 in sales because you left our FDC order in bedding, told receiving they didn't need to inform me when our order came in, and tried to have me reassigned to Softlines when I had told you on several occasions that I will never agree to work there. If anyone should have a problem with the other, it should have been me.

And our STL, who started shortly after I returned, is just....special. She was born into a rich family, is an only child, and my lord does it show! In the two years since she started at this store, she has vacationed to Italy, Norway, China, Germany, and almost every tourist-y major city in the U.S. I only know because she always talks about her trips, loudly, the week before she goes. A lot of the good people who have done this store a lot of good to it have left because of her. She has tried to change so much, but I have heard guests complain. But whenever anyone brings it up that guests are complaining, she starts they just don't understand. If your changes are making things confusing for guests, they may not come back! Recently our DTL came to our last PPV visit and asked my ETL to leave for 5 minutes so he could talk to my TL and DM about some of his concerns, and my TL actually got permission to involve me in the conversation because I basically run our Starbucks at this point. Man did I open up the flood gates, both DTL and DM were surprised they never heard of half of this. The ETL and our STL were later informed by our DTL that their involvement in Starbucks needs to be improved upon. I think I cried happy tears.

I informed my ETL-HR of my two week notice before I submitted it, she tried to talk me into staying. I let her rant for a couple minutes before I straight up told her "well maybe if you, STL, and ETL had actually listened and helped out Starbucks instead of ridiculed me, humiliated me, and treated me like a robot for the past nine months, I would have waited until after the holidays like I planned".

I finish a certificate in Medical Billing and Coding the second week of November and have been given the opportunity to just focus on it. I had to bump it back due to vehicle issues and a couple of life issues the past two months, but it is finally happening and I am just done with the stress. I have been pushing for new AST and them to stop hiring high schoolers since the spring, so now they have just screwed themselves. My TL (who is also GSTL) understands, my team understands, and my co-workers I can happily call friends understand.

I am done, and Spot, this is my final farewell.

I finish a certificate in Medical Billing and Coding the second week of November and have been given the opportunity to just focus on it. I had to bump it back due to vehicle issues and a couple of life issues the past two months, but it is finally happening and I am just done with the stress.

Congrats on your certificate!

After a collective 4 years at Target, I am out as of the 27th.

Same. On the night of the 27th, I am throwing a virtual uniform-burning party on TBR. Feel free to stop by my party thread after your final shift is over. We can celebrate our last day. :)

Last edited:
latest

Thank you all for your kind words. This has definitely been a wild ride, though the past year has been toughest. Finding this forum has helped me with a number if things over the past couple months, especially reading tips from other Starbucks TLs or LS leaders like me who help run the ship alot.

I've got a whole three shifts left and Saturday will be a crazy four hours, so many regulars know it's my last day since my team can't keep it on the down low, so I'm sure it will be busier than usual.

Thank you all again, for the tips, kind words, and reminders that I'm really not in this alone. I'll still be hovering, I get plenty of chuckles out of a few of the threads on here, so it's worth it to stick around.

Good luck to you!

I hope your store feels the loss of all of your hard work.

Ditto. Too bad they can’t appreciate you while you are working your heart out for them, but they never appreciate you until you’re gone and realize what they’ve lost and can’t replace. OP, you have suffered more than enough with your asshat STL and ETLs. Congrats and Good Luck!🍀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back