Archived Final Warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
One of our GSAs was recently given a Final for forgetting to remove money from under the drawer of a register. It was a single register, a small amount of money and she has never made this mistake before, nor has she ever been given a corrective action or counseling for mishandling of funds. Is this not a bit of overkill from leadership? A final for one mishap?

A lot of Targets corrective policies are overkill. Target's plan for the last 10yrs or so has been to find TM's simplest fault and use it to performance them out, so a new TM can be hired and be paid cheaper.

I got written up for taking FA keys home. Heck when you have 15 minutes to open FA and get everything unlocked, turned on, prep started before Flow and breakfast people (at that time) start showing up, you tend to pocket the keys as you are in a rush. Then it was funny, that one freezer door could be lifted off its hinges even though it was locked. And then a short time later, they decided to stop locking FA coolers and freezer so Flow could get already prepped or simple items.

I have known some GSTLs to coach cashiers for being a minute late or not coming back exactly 15/30 minutes.

Last edited:
I had to put a GSA on corrective action for setting rolled coin on the guest service counter at close and leaving it there all night. They had to ask the APBP what was best practice and if it's under 150 it's a CA, if it's over it's a Final.

At our store it's an automatic final if you leave money unsecured...with a few exceptions.

I once accidentally left the leftover change fund bills on the counter next to the register all night. I found it the next morning. I should have been put on a final, but so should have the closing LOD from the night before who didn't catch it when we did our check when putting it in the safe. Since she was promoting to STL, they didn't want to get her in trouble, so that meant I was off the hook. ;-)

About a year ago, I was over at photo with my gstl and discovered a start bundle sitting out on the counter from the night before. We both knew who the closing GSA was from the night before (not me). He just groaned. But I also know that she was his pet, so he covered it up for her and nothing ever came of it (otherwise she would have been gone when she was put on a final for always being late a couple months later).

We have a cashier who I will give her change to, and she will stick it under the drawer with the coupons and then forget about it...which makes no sense to me because she will hound me to death for that change until I give it to her. I usually have to tell her several times to add it, and she always apologizes for forgetting or being too busy. She's been known to leave for break, lunch, or even go home without adding it. Well, this past week, she went on lunch, and I discovered didn't add it...again. So I took the money back with me (I was covering guest services at the time). She came over in a huge panic that it was gone. I told her I had it, but we would discuss it later.

I gave it back to her and told her next time I caught her doing that, I would let ap know, because I was not going to be put on a final for her not securing the money...and she was going to have to deal with that on her own.

Leaving money unsecured during the day or overnight is an automatic final. It is a conduct final, so it doesn't impact review score or if you are put on a performance final or CCA.

It's not overkill. The GSA is responsible for keeping the money secure. Trust me, if you do it once and get put on a final you will make sure you never do it again.

I left an inside door unlocked several years ago and was put on a final. I will never leave another door unlocked again because I think about it every night I close!

I don't think it's extreme. After all, we're talking about a pretty serious topic here. At least (like dewdrinker pointed out) it's for conduct, not performance. It won't hurt her review, it doesn't keep her from promoting, etc.

And she won't make that same mistake twice!

I don't think it's extreme. After all, we're talking about a pretty serious topic here. At least (like dewdrinker pointed out) it's for conduct, not performance. It won't hurt her review, it doesn't keep her from promoting, etc.

And she won't make that same mistake twice!

Does this include Market meat coupons? As I know they literally work on anything in the store...

IDK who would ring out a PS4 with 100 $3 meat coupons, but who knows,

Wouldn't work. The register won't let you enter more Target coupons than you have items, so unless you have supervisor numbers and can combine them into one coupon (which will flag to ap), it ain't happening.

Are you sure? I have consulted my ETL-AP on this issue, as our keys disappeared, and he said that they can be used for anything. I have also witnessed, and done myself, combining coupons when something really needs to be moved, yet the GTSL does not need to approve them.

Are you sure? I have consulted my ETL-AP on this issue, as our keys disappeared, and he said that they can be used for anything. I have also witnessed, and done myself, combining coupons when something really needs to be moved, yet the GTSL does not need to approve them.

I'm sure you could slap a meat stick on the PS4 but could you do more than one?
Isn't it just one price reduction sticker per item?

Yes. I am sure. You can use the coupon on anything, and you could probably combine those coupons as long as you buy more than one product, as the register thinks you are taking the coupons off of different products. But it is not going to let you go over one Target coupon if you only buy one item. If you buy a PS4 and a game, then it would let you take two coupons, if you add a pack of gum, it would let you take three....etc.

When I was buying hamburger that was $3 stickered, POS hardlocked after four so I had to break it down into two (or more) transactions.

I'm supposed to put a cashier on a final for attendance but I've never done a final. Could someone explain this to me?

Definitely not overkill. GSAs and GSTLs are given a huge responsibility to secure store funds. That kind of behavior could easily cost the store thousands of dollars. It doesn't matter if if was just a small bundle. Issuing a final for something like this is not about punishing the GSA, it's about making sure he/she doesn't do it again and put the store at risk.

The one and only time I didn't put someone on a final for something like this was when there was another ETL involved that should have caught it. Putting the GSA on a final would've meant doing the same for the ETL. My STL didn't want to do that because she was being transferred/promoted soon.

I'm supposed to put a cashier on a final for attendance but I've never done a final. Could someone explain this to me?
You need to get a list of the dates of the tm's last CA for attendance, as well as any attendance issues since it was issued. (Get them from HR). There is a template for final for attendance on Workbench. Fill in the dates, expectations, consequences, then email it to HR. She will make any changes, print and sign it, then give it to you to sign and deliver.

When you deliver it, have the tm sign it. If he wants a copy, you can Xerox it and give him a copy.

A lot of Targets corrective policies are overkill. Target's plan for the last 10yrs or so has been to find TM's simplest fault and use it to performance them out, so a new TM can be hired and be paid cheaper.

Eh, I don't buy this. Hiring is expensive, and Target has been raising their starting wages for awhile now, and newbies are often paid the same or more than long-time TMs, so I don't buy the notion that they want to keep a rotating cast to keep costs down. It doesn't really work like that.

More likely some leaders are assholes or some TMs are useless and leadership starts using whatever they can find to get rid of the dead weight.

As for the cash thing, I can understand it being an immediate final. It may only have been a couple bucks now, but I can see TMs using that as a way to pilfer cash or become more careless over time and it's not something that should really ever happen, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back