Finding a mental health counselor

pellinore

Ho hum....I'm watching you!
OK....I'm ready to look for a mental health counselor.....I've already got some guidance from another thread about looking for someone, but I'm not quite sure what the right direction is regarding using our health insurance.

Do I start by calling the team member employee assistance program number? Or do I start by calling the number on the back of our health care card?

Will I be able to get a list of possible counselors....or do I have to go with the individual that they provide?

It has taken me a long time to get to this point...getting ready to find a counselor......there are still a lot of steps to take and I'm hoping that I don't panic and that I keep moving forward.

Amanda Cantwell

Guest Service & Photo
I don’t know what company our insurance is since I don’t have it, but there are tons of sites you can use to check highly rated ones and filter by those who take your insurance.

Remember also we get 5 free sessions per year, see TMLR site for more info.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Many Employee Assistance programs will allow you a certain number of free visits for counseling. However, its usually providers of their choosing. I would take advantage of it just for the free sessions to start out with. And you can look for different practices from that if you need until you find the one for you.

There are virtual counseling services (ex. Amwell, Dr OnDemand, TalkSpace) and should be covered by insurance. Those are the services my current work covers.

Call the number on the card and see which providers in your area accept your insurance. You can also go on Psychology Today's "find a therapist" website, plug in your ZIP code, and check "accepts insurance." Most list which plans they accept, and you weed out the ones who don't take insurance at all.

Also agree that it can't hurt to use the five free sessions. Good luck. :)

OP
OP
pellinore

pellinore

While looking through Target information I'm finding two different "insurance types" one is United HealthCare and the other is Compsyche.
Are these two completely different groups?

Guess that a call would be the smart way to go.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
pellinore

pellinore

Made a good start today with a counselor. Called the number on our health care card and I've been able to get a list of counselors who are on the plan. My next step will be to find out if any of those counselors are part of our EAP and if I can get 5 free sessions through them.

I'm late to the party, sorry Pell. But if this one doesn't work out or for anyone else in this thread, looking through reviews and polling friends is a long process requiring a lot of information processing and firm decision making, which can be damn near impossible for someone in a crisis. Both times that I needed therapy my psychiatrist matched me to a therapist they knew based on my needs and the therapist's experience and method of counseling.

PassinTime

Your Checkout Hostess
Made a good start today with a counselor. Called the number on our health care card and I've been able to get a list of counselors who are on the plan. My next step will be to find out if any of those counselors are part of our EAP and if I can get 5 free sessions through them.
When you call the EAP, give them the names that you have. The should be able to quickly confirm which ones are part of the EAP.