Archived Fired 3 weeks before probation period ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowntessa

Party in the fitting room, BYOG (garbage)
What the title says, i'm wondering if when you're terminated if they just tell you and that's it? IS there paperwork? I got dropped out of nowhere 3 weeks from being out of probation, and I just got a list of items given to me as to why i'm being taken out. IE: forgetting a zebra or walkie (rebuttal: we had none the shift I came in! the person who left after i came in gave me theirs eventually) or not grabbing a handful of gobacks ONCE.

He said those little things add up and it makes me an awful employee. I obviously couldn't argue it at all because he said it was out of his hands and it came from HQ. My question is, why would they even submit paperwork so soon?

The only thing I could think of is the things he mentioned were noticed by an LOD who clashed with me on occasions and my Team Leader in softlines. Who really. Really. Didn't like me. I even had to go to an ETL and tell them how I felt because she was treating me like complete shit. Once I did that she became nice. It was weird.

But then the last 2 weeks she switched and went back to full bitch mode. I have no idea. I work softlines and its the easiest fucking job but somehow he was nitpicking at every small detail which "made me not such an ideal employee."

So... is this the common way to fire a team member?

Well it's easier for them to fire someone during their probationary period because Target's policies don't require as much paperwork to do so. So if your TL just doesn't like you, they just need to convince the ETLs that they don't think you're working out as well as they hoped. HQ has nothing to do with it, that part is complete BS. And it can be done in your first week or the last day of your 90 days. I've never personally seen anyone let go instead of being kept on, so I can't say for sure how normal it is at the 3 weeks to go mark.

Oh we have several TMs currently in their 90 days that are flirting with termination. Everything really does add up...so if a TL doesn't like you (or you get that vibe), be aware and work extra hard so they don't find reasons to not extend you into permanent status.

Well it's easier for them to fire someone during their probationary period because Target's policies don't require as much paperwork to do so. So if your TL just doesn't like you, they just need to convince the ETLs that they don't think you're working out as well as they hoped. HQ has nothing to do with it, that part is complete BS. And it can be done in your first week or the last day of your 90 days. I've never personally seen anyone let go instead of being kept on, so I can't say for sure how normal it is at the 3 weeks to go mark.
that makes total sense. thank you.

Oh we have several TMs currently in their 90 days that are flirting with termination. Everything really does add up...so if a TL doesn't like you (or you get that vibe), be aware and work extra hard so they don't find reasons to not extend you into permanent status.
yeah the guy i spoke to told me i had to "work extra hard to show i was worth it" and it was kind of a rude thing to say.

What the title says, i'm wondering if when you're terminated if they just tell you and that's it? IS there paperwork? I got dropped out of nowhere 3 weeks from being out of probation, and I just got a list of items given to me as to why i'm being taken out. IE: forgetting a zebra or walkie (rebuttal: we had none the shift I came in! the person who left after i came in gave me theirs eventually) or not grabbing a handful of gobacks ONCE.

He said those little things add up and it makes me an awful employee. I obviously couldn't argue it at all because he said it was out of his hands and it came from HQ. My question is, why would they even submit paperwork so soon?

The only thing I could think of is the things he mentioned were noticed by an LOD who clashed with me on occasions and my Team Leader in softlines. Who really. Really. Didn't like me. I even had to go to an ETL and tell them how I felt because she was treating me like complete shit. Once I did that she became nice. It was weird.

But then the last 2 weeks she switched and went back to full bitch mode. I have no idea. I work softlines and its the easiest fucking job but somehow he was nitpicking at every small detail which "made me not such an ideal employee."

So... is this the common way to fire a team member?

Yes, little things DO add up when management has to decide which team members to keep & which aren't a good fit.

My advice is to also consider your attitude and whether people think you are pleasant to have around. If it were me, I'd be a lot more willing to give a struggling team member a chance to shape up IF they have a good personality and other people like working with them. And being friendly with TLs, ETLs and even the STL is also good office politics too. It never hurts if other people know you for more than what your own TL is putting in their official reports. I'm not saying you should be socializing or sucking up but you should look like you are doing more than going through the motions until the end of the shift. (I'm not saying you are doing these thing, I'm really speaking in generalities.)

Anyway good luck to you and I hope things work out well for you.

Lots of times payroll hours are re-allocated or cut, and 90day TMs are cut.

As long as you left on good terms, you can be rehired.

No offense but everything you posted is false.

No store is overstaffed going into q4. Stores are only overstaffed after q4 if they keep too many seasonals. Also your hours will only change relative to your volume. They reclassify stores in February not now.

As far as leaving on good terms. A 90 day term is an involuntary term which makes you automatically unrehireable.

Well it's easier for them to fire someone during their probationary period because Target's policies don't require as much paperwork to do so.

Again you speak much truth. Some stores fire right before 90 knowing you may be an issue down the road. The idea is to get rid of the team member while it's easy than wait until you need a long paper trail to do it

I frequently (probably 80ish %) let go of new hires pre 90 days. Almost all of them were due to attitude, very rarely was it because of actual job performance.

Not always because of a bad attitude. Sometimes people were just wierd or creepy. Sometimes they didn't mesh. Sometimes they were too abrasive. Sometimes, I just didn't like them. They got feedback every 15 days, and on the 85th day if they weren't the fit we wanted, I let them go.

Granted, I wasn't a cowardly jackass about it like they were, but sub 90 you need minimal paperwork, it's just far easier.

You can change someone's work ability, you can't change who they are. Some people just don't fit, and I would wager that's what happened to you.

Under 90 it's easier to get rid of someone. That time is used to evaluate whether or not that person is worth making a permanent team member. I'm baffled by people under 90 who call out, give attitude, or is nonchalant about their work.

Pretty much under 90 you can be fired for anything. It's the proving yourself period.

We have several people here in my building that should have been let go during their 90 days and unfortunately they slipped through the cracks, one issue I do have about target is they don't realize when it's time to let someone go due to lack of effort / laziness or plain out don't care

Again you speak much truth. Some stores fire right before 90 knowing you may be an issue down the road. The idea is to get rid of the team member while it's easy than wait until you need a long paper trail to do it

I termed someone on Day 89 of 90. At first the TM was "shocked" at the outcome..... then they remembered the coachings, counseling, etc. The TM was apologetic about their behavior. It was a very amicable termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back