Archived Fired for Stealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me, but one of my coworkers was fired for stealing customers reward points at my current job. At the Target I worked at, numerous people have been fired for stealing money out of the till (A GSTL who I still talk to told me).

Do you have any stories about any of your coworkers getting fired for stealing at Target or any other jobs you've worked? Would love to hear them! :)

I've heard of a few incidents at my store. Once, a guy walking with the LOD had a couple of iPODs fall out of his pocket (o_O). Another guy watched a new (1st day) TM put stuff in her locker, then proceeded to put in the code and steal her phone. He was walked out by the police in cuffs. Another couple of guys would clock in and leave for the day, come back and clock out later. I heard from down the hall their ETL yelling at them that day. Cashiers pocketing money. One guy would Salvage out merchandise, then come back & dig it out of the open top. I'm sure there are tons more.

I heard a story from a retiree who used to be an STL for Target decades ago, back when there were just a handful of stores and it was easy to pick up the phone and talk to someone from HQ if needed.

He said that a manager had worked the closing shift on Christmas Eve and after everyone else had left, he cleaned out the safe and fled to Mexico. Nobody noticed for a few days and he had a preplanned vacation, so he had a big head start before they realized he was also missing. He said that the guy was eventually arrested in Mexico several months/years later.

I'm not sure how much I believe it but this guy was dead serious when he was telling me the story.

Last year we had a cashier get arrested during her shift for pocketing cash over the course of a few days.

literally JUST lost a barista. he was a great kid, had a wonderful way with guests, learned super fast, was great to work with. only problem was no matter how many times we called him out on it, how many times our team lead put out notes that AP was watching us closely, we could NOT get him to stop taking food and drink without paying for it. he put in his two weeks, but three days before his last day, he got walked for it. I don't care if the rules seem unfair, you still have to follow them.

we've had so many internals in my year and a half here though. the girl who I'm pretty sure was signing up fraudulent REDcards, the girl who cleaned out the register at Food Ave (she even took the entirety of the spare change cup...), the cart attendant who would always beg to be put on registers and, you guessed it, would skim off of them... how stupid do you have to BE?

When I was a SFTL over Electronics, we had a male AP ETL, so I was often asked to be the female presence in the room when he terminated female team members. One particularly dumb girl decided to pocket gift cards that guests had paid for by simply not putting them in the bag, and then slipping them all into her pocket at end of shift.

We also had a GSTL who systematically stole about $3K worth of food over a six month period--apparently her husband had lost his job and they couldn't feed the family on just her paycheck. I still feel bad about that one :(

People always get fired for keeping gift cards. Seems like it happens at least twice a year, and those are just the ones I hear about. It's usually $5 here and there, but one time someone from mobile was fired for keeping $100 gift card. Then there's the people who get caught boosting hundreds or even thousands of merch. That's rare but it happens. A GSA was also fired last year for stealing over $10,000. It was in the news so everyone found out lol. I'm sure at least one person knows where I work now based on this post lmao.

I also had a buddy in high school who cashiered for Target. He was fired for stealing a Reece's :D

When I was a SFTL over Electronics, we had a male AP ETL, so I was often asked to be the female presence in the room when he terminated female team members. One particularly dumb girl decided to pocket gift cards that guests had paid for by simply not putting them in the bag, and then slipping them all into her pocket at end of shift.

We also had a GSTL who systematically stole about $3K worth of food over a six month period--apparently her husband had lost his job and they couldn't feed the family on just her paycheck. I still feel bad about that one :(

Those cases always suck. It's one thing when people steal booze or money, or some other non essential item. But when it's food? That's so sad. At one of my first jobs, a man in his 20s tried to steal a raw chicken that he concealed with his shirt. They approached him at the front of the store, where he gave up the chicken, and left. Really sad.

@TargetNPC I knew kids that would steal food like that in high school. I also know adults that have gone into grocery stores and walked out with full carts just because they wanted to have a ghetto BBQ. Some people are just entitled assholes. But on the other hand, I've also seen children stealing sandwiches, among other things, because their parents told them too. Now THAT'S sad :/

Last edited:
Abusing trade ins when I worked at a video game store. You take the trade in, pretend to give them credit, actually credit out cash, then edit their account and manually put the credit on so it all looks legit.

Also just typing in trade ins

Or taking peoples credit, cashing it out, if they haven't been in the store in months.

Lots of coupon fraud as well. Use a coupon, charge customer full price, pocket the difference.

Years ago( before the remodel) we had to take our bales outside. We had an older flow team member who would always volunteer to take them out ( which was a pain cause there is a small hill behind the store. The same flow team member would always volunteer to make bales. He was even recognized in the huddle for always willing to do things no one else wanted. One day he wasn't there....we were told he was no longer with the company. A couple days later the truth comes out . The Flow team member had been hiding video games in the bale...taking them outside. Then when he got off he would go around the back of the store and get them. Guess he didn't realize there were cameras by the baler and watching outside the store.

This is from another retailer. My coworkers would get fired when they input their own rewards number instead of the customer. Once they get enough, they would use the points to buy something in the store (We sell Nike, Adidas, North Face, Columbia, etc). It's a point for every $5 spent and it's $1 for every point earned. You can use your earned points every 3 months. The stuff in the store is pretty expensive, around $100 an item so it's easy to stack points.

Years ago, during my Target orientation, the person leading it told us this cautionary tale: A Food Avenue TM was termed because she ate the popcorn that was leftover after Food Avenue shut down.

Had cart attendants termed for stealing food (pizzas & sodas), cashiers termed for giftcard theft &/or skimming cash, an electronics TM termed for merch theft, ETL termed for taking cash from the safe (gambling debts), GSTL & GSA termed for fraudulent credit apps, ONTM termed for aiding a theft.

Had a backroom tm fired for taking vendor credits they were were already credited out vendor gave it to him instead of throwing it in the trash

We get the kids who steal the gc every fourth quarter. Usually the blanket black Friday "spend $$ get a gc" if people don't ask. Scan it anyway and pocket it.

Had a pricing tm termed for stealing random crap every day. Some days a drink or gum, others beats headphones.

I always let my new TMs know that they have to pay for their beverages and food when they start. Last summer I had a TM fairly new who took a sandwich without paying for it. When I found out I pulled him privately and told him what the rules are and that I would hate for him to be fired for theft especially food and to let me know what they are going to sample so it can be processed accordingly. He hasn't done it since. Sometimes it's an innocent mistake but I'd rather nip it in the bud before it becomes a habit.

worst ive seen was in one evening 1 TM tried taking an xbox one, 2 ipad 64GB, several controllers for the xbox, and a variaty of other stuff. Ended up being several Thousand dollars, added ontop of what he already stole

We've had 4 GSA/GSTLs fired in the last year for stealing from the registers/CO. 3 people from electronics fired in the same time frame for stealing/giving away/discounting merchandise.

How did he plan on pulling that off?
Covered electronics during breaks and lunches and would buy a single item and use a large red bag. then during lunch covering he would hide items that were locked up and cme by later to pick them up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back