Archived Fired for stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all ... I was wondering if any of you know what the procedures are when a team member is fired for stealing ? A friend of mine was fired last month for stealing over $700 worth of merchandise ... (they obviously waited until it became a felony charge before they fired him) ...
He was told he was being investigated for over a month
They made him sign a paper admitting to the guilt and told him that it would look better for him in court.. he was told that he would receive a letter in the mail from the Target lawyer ... it’s been a few weeks now so does anyone know how long it takes to receive that letter ? He wants to find another job but he’s afraid to fill out applications because of this..
If anyone can offer advice on all these procedures I’d appreciate the comments ...
Thanks everyone :)

Sorry I don't have specfics for you.

I will recommend he moves on with his life right now, so he should apply for jobs before he has to say yes to being a felon.

I hope he has grasped how majorly fucked up and learned that $700 worth of shit isn't worth what he's going through right now. Target is the one place that I know of that hires people who have to say yes to felonies...I hope he can find another company that liberal if he doesn't get a job before he's charged.

Target is the one place that I know of that hires people who have to say yes to felonies..

Well it depends on your state laws and what the felony is for. I have several applicants who have failed the Target background check due to past felonies. Especially sex offenses, robbery, fraud, theft.

He wants to find another job but he’s afraid to fill out applications because of this..

It's in his best interest to find a job as soon as possible. It's in his favor that Target does not give references to other jobs positive or negative.

If Target decides to file a case with a local prosecutor he will be summoned to court and charged with a crime. Arrest and convictions go on a criminal background check making getting another job difficult.

I had a friend get a job at Target before he was charged with a crime. He request his court days off then works while he goes through the slow long painful legal process.

Also... Paying back what was stolen should be an immediate priority. Don't wait for Target to contact you. Get the money and pay them now.

Our store has gotten restitution checks not just from individuals but also from the court on the behalf of individuals

I hope he or (you) learned from this

Target doesn't play around when it comes to employee theft

Last edited:
I would also recommend he get in touch with a public defense attorney to see if it can be plead down to misdemeanor retail fraud.

Hello all ... I was wondering if any of you know what the procedures are when a team member is fired for stealing ? A friend of mine was fired last month for stealing over $700 worth of merchandise ... (they obviously waited until it became a felony charge before they fired him) ...
He was told he was being investigated for over a month
They made him sign a paper admitting to the guilt and told him that it would look better for him in court.. he was told that he would receive a letter in the mail from the Target lawyer ... it’s been a few weeks now so does anyone know how long it takes to receive that letter ? He wants to find another job but he’s afraid to fill out applications because of this..
If anyone can offer advice on all these procedures I’d appreciate the comments ...
Thanks everyone :)

A few things.....

If they were going to file charges they probably would have called police when they pulled the person for the interview. That's how I handle my felony internals, your store (and locality) may vary.

Felonies are over $1000 in my area. I'm not sure what your local limit is. But in my store if the amount is under the felony amount AND they sign the admission statement, we usually don't refer for prosecution (or call the police), unless there is some organized retail crime connection. If there was no law enforcement present following the interview there is a good chance Target will not press charges. No guarantees though.

Lastly, the admission statement. Nobody made them sign it. We are trained to make no assurances or promises if they sign it. It protects Target's interests, not those of the person signing.

He wants to find another job but he’s afraid to fill out applications because of this..
He should get another job asap before he goes to court and gets a conviction on his record. Once that happens, it will show up on background checks and he will have a hard time getting another job in retail or the service industry. Applications will usually ask about convictions, not charges, so for now he's fine to say he has never been convicted of stealing or any felonies.

With Felony charge, you have no right to vote.

That is 100% false as it varies by state.

Voting as an Ex-Offender - Nonprofit Vote - http://www.nonprofitvote.org/voting-in-your-state/special-circumstances/voting-as-an-ex-offender/

In all but two states, voting age citizens convicted of a felony are barred from voting for some period of time. Laws vary in each state. While many states restore voting rights to individuals automatically after they exit jail or prison, others permanently disenfranchise people with a past felony conviction or require they petition the government to have their right restored.

Voting as an Ex-Offender - Nonprofit Vote - http://www.nonprofitvote.org/voting-in-your-state/special-circumstances/voting-as-an-ex-offender/

In all but two states, voting age citizens convicted of a felony are barred from voting for some period of time. Laws vary in each state. While many states restore voting rights to individuals automatically after they exit jail or prison, others permanently disenfranchise people with a past felony conviction or require they petition the government to have their right restored.

Sad to say, this is one way that certain groups work to disenfranchise others.
First start a 'War on Drugs' where the enforcement is targeted against minorities and the poor.
Then make the punishments charges that limit their voting rights.
Reduces the number of people who will fight the power substantially.

Lmao @ the person signing a paper because they said it would look for better him in court. Yea signing anything admitting guilt always looks good for the defendant
I’m only telling it the way it was told to me by my friend... He was told that by the AP LOD .. He signed the paper admitting guilt because they told him they had numerous videos and that they would not have brought him into the room to fire him unless they were 1000% sure that the thefts were committed..
He knows he was wrong for doing what he did.. he’s extremely remorseful and is beating himself up over it every day..

In my commonwealth state, Anyone convicted of a felony in Virginia automatically loses their civil rights - the right to vote, serve on a jury, run for office, become a notary public and carry a firearm.

A few things.....

If they were going to file charges they probably would have called police when they pulled the person for the interview. That's how I handle my felony internals, your store (and locality) may vary.

Felonies are over $1000 in my area. I'm not sure what your local limit is. But in my store if the amount is under the felony amount AND they sign the admission statement, we usually don't refer for prosecution (or call the police), unless there is some organized retail crime connection. If there was no law enforcement present following the interview there is a good chance Target will not press charges. No guarantees though.

Lastly, the admission statement. Nobody made them sign it. We are trained to make no assurances or promises if they sign it. It protects Target's interests, not those of the person signing.

AP stated to him that if the paper was signed, they would not involve the police and because he was with the company for 5 years they didn’t want to embarrass him anymore than he was already..

Also... Paying back what was stolen should be an immediate priority. Don't wait for Target to contact you. Get the money and pay them now.

That’s a great idea, guess he didn’t think of it that way... I will mention this to him... Who would he have to contact to do this? Corporate or the store?

That’s a great idea, guess he didn’t think of it that way... I will mention this to him... Who would he have to contact to do this? Corporate or the store?

Start at the store with the etl ap who caught you.

No one here knows who you are. Also, I'm sure your situation is not unique so people will have a hard time figuring out who you are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back