Archived First day as cart attendant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
So I was hired as a seasonal cart attendant but trained a few days as a cashier which I got the hang of pretty fast and now I really enjoy it.
Well a couple days ago it was slow so they told me to go train with cart attendant since that's what I would be doing soon.
I get out there, he's really nice and helpful. But when it came time for me to get the carts I was messing up really bad.
First of all, I was about 5 inches away from hitting a car.
Second, every time I stopped the cart machine all the carts would roll away from it.
And third, I was really bad at maneuvering it through the doors. Tomorrow I have another training shift with a different cart attendant and the day after that is my first solo shift.
I'm really scared cause I'm bad at using the machine.
Would it be ok if I just took trips out to the parking lot and pushed about 10 by hand? I'd feel way better if I could.

Another thing, are you allowed to keep or even buy things that they toss out?
Cause the guy told me he had to throw away two new xbox one games cause the guest said "they didn't work"
I'd be happy to take them or buy them for like 80% off.
Is this allowed? If not then why not?
Anyways sorry for the long post and thanks in advanced for the replies.

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

I'll have to pass on advice for you about cart but their are plenty of folks who can help.
@cart man @CartStryke you out there?

As for buying things that have been damaged out that depends.
Sometimes you can buy returns but usually not video game returns.
If they've been returned as not working we're sending them back to the manufacturer for a refund.

Question about your carts: are they the metal/plastic or the lightweight plastic-only?
The lightweight ones are difficult to maneuver at first but they don't leave as bad a dent as the metal ones (don't ask me how I know).
You'll have close calls, including almost getting hit by guests (THAT'S why you wear the reflective vest EVERY TIME you're in the lot). If you're using the cart mover, learn where the horn is & DON'T be afraid to use it.
Cart man & CartStryke should be able to give you steering tips.

The cart pusher is junk with the plastic carts. Way harder to keep control of them. Just push the plastic carts by hand. Plastic/metal carts are easier to push with the cart pusher. I've also had cart attendants who were much better/faster without the cart pusher at all.

The cart pusher is junk with the plastic carts. Way harder to keep control of them. Just push the plastic carts by hand. Plastic/metal carts are easier to push with the cart pusher. I've also had cart attendants who were much better/faster without the cart pusher at all.
Like sigma said, just push them by hand, we have a cart attendant that pushes by hand and he does carts the same as the others. Rule of thumb is 7 like redman said but its easy to push 10 by hand. You just have to figure out the routes in your parking lot. Using the cart machine, or even by hand, know where the downhills are so you know where to pay more attention to the carts not coming apart and the the uphills are not as much of a problem since they will be falling back into the cart machine and not apart.

If your cart pusher has a remote control, use that and hold onto the front end of the line. You would steer that way too. When you're turning, start turning ahead of time so you don't turn the line of carts too sharply and risk losing the cart pusher.

It's ok if you prefer to push carts by hand rather than by using the cart pusher. When I used to cover for the cart attendants, I would only push carts by hand. Just don't push more than seven by hand.

Another thing, are you allowed to keep or even buy things that they toss out?
Cause the guy told me he had to throw away two new xbox one games cause the guest said "they didn't work"
I'd be happy to take them or buy them for like 80% off.
Is this allowed? If not then why not?
Anyways sorry for the long post and thanks in advanced for the replies.

This is absolutely not allowed and could get you fired. When guests return defective merchandise, it is marked out of the system. While many items get thrown out, electronic items either get recycled or sent back to the manufacturer. From what I understand, reverse logistics shortage is very easy for AP to solve.

If something didn't work for a guest, it would most likely be useless to you anyways.

Try to chug large amounts of alcohol before you operate the cart pusher. Bad weather is your friend and a full lot of cars is key here. Be sure to go full speed everything!

depending on your store the gstl doesnt even pay attention like at mine they never check on me at all so i push by hand like 10-14 easily once up to 24 lol at my store they even let us listen to music as long as we answer the walkie yes i know 7 is policy and you probably shouldnt risk it but i hate the cart pusher we have those plastic carts so yea. i push by hand and im way faster then the others there that use the pusher

Our new cart guys had a huge issue with noticing the carts blocking the exit to the store. Sometimes the cashiers by those lanes can't get over to put them up (and we have some that won't), and it isn't fun. In fact the one kid freaking walked by them and went and emptied the hanger bin.

Soooo, my only suggestion is to look at the foyer and check to see of the guests have created a disaster. Because they will have.

I've thrown out some amazing items but it's policy not to sell defects or even give them away. This is usually violated with food but GM is typically thrown out. This is a reason why the compactor has a key - to prevent theft of both new and used items.

Don't worry about hitting cars. Target will cover the damage. Just charge forward taking out whatever you can on your way back into the store. Most important thing is to get the carts back into the store, at all costs.

If you don't smoke weed now is a good time to start. You'll want to be blazed while being cart attendant. And please, please, never answer the walkie on the first call. Let them worry about you.

If your store doesn't provide gloves and cleaning material for the bathroom just bare hand clean the bathroom. It's just piss or poop, it can wash off. Don't be selfish - Guests first.

I'm not even sure what kind of carts they are. But my first time was okay I guess. I'm not comfortable pushing more than 20 with the machine yet and I learned that my limit pushing by hand is like 9 or 10. After that I can't control them very good cause there are ALOT of hills in the parking lot.
Anyways thanks for the helpful and funny answers lol. I'm not nervous anymore for my first solo shift tomorrow.
With the machine after like 15 carts they start to swerve waaaaaay to the side. Like from one car to another. So il probably do them by hand most of the time. I don't mind taking trips to the parking lot all day. That way I stay busy instead of pushing them all in by machine then having nothing to do for half an hour.

Oh and here's a pic I took today of what some great helpful guests left for me.
Maybe you guys can tell what kind of carts they are from the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.1 KB · Views: 46
Those are the lightweight plastic ones. They're not as heavy, but lines of them can be tricky to handle if you're a noob cart attendant.

Do whatever you're comfortable with. Good luck tomorrow.

I'm not even sure what kind of carts they are. But my first time was okay I guess. I'm not comfortable pushing more than 20 with the machine yet and I learned that my limit pushing by hand is like 9 or 10. After that I can't control them very good cause there are ALOT of hills in the parking lot.
Anyways thanks for the helpful and funny answers lol. I'm not nervous anymore for my first solo shift tomorrow.
With the machine after like 15 carts they start to swerve waaaaaay to the side. Like from one car to another. So il probably do them by hand most of the time. I don't mind taking trips to the parking lot all day. That way I stay busy instead of pushing them all in by machine then having nothing to do for half an hour.
We answered you with out regards to reality. Work dangerously because we need carts and red cards from you

~sighned salesfloor team

Oh and here's a pic I took today of what some great helpful guests left for me.
Maybe you guys can tell what kind of carts they are from the picture.
I don't get too pissed at carts left around handicap spaces, if they need to park there they probably would have a hard time walking to put the cart in a stall. Carts left anywhere else have no excuse, people who just push them away are assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back