Archived FIRST DAY QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello so i just had orientation saturday and my first day is tomorrow and im really nervous and have a lot of questions so if u could answer any that would help

first what do i do when i get there? my shift starts at 3 and i need to get my employee number (idk what that is..) to punch in with so the orientation guy told me to go 10-15 minutes earlier so i had time to do that BUT do i go in the employee door? or just the main entrance? i forget what i was told (if i was even told) on where to enter. the employee door i know where it is but do i buzz in with the buzzer bell thing? or will that annoy people? HELP. then do i just ask the person at the TSC desk about my punch in code number?

second what happens with breaks..? im training for cashier so will someone tell me when to go on break? also its not a long shift as to require a meal so i only get a 15... do i just go chill in the break room? do i just walk back over to the registers after 15 minutes? plz explain breaks to me

third theres lockers in the TSC... should i put my phone in there?? can i grab my phone before break then go to the break room or should i just hang out in the TSC for my 15? theres chairs and iwas told ur always welcome there so... idk.

im veru stressed and lost and nervous for tomorrow and i need any advice u have THANKS U!!

Okay, just breathe.... Don't worry to much. Management and other employees will know it's your first day and will be happy to explain everything in detail if that's what you need.

I can't answer your questions because I haven't worked for Tarhet, but other people on here will be more then happy to answer.

1. You should have gotten your employee number on a temporary discount card, might be diff for your store. In that case yeah I'd ask at the TSC desk.

2. As a cashier they'll tell you when to go on break. Generally every 2 hours you get a break, sometimes 3 if it's busy or the GSA/GSTL forgets about you. During your break you can do whatever you want as long as you're back in 15 minutes. Go grab a drink, go to the restroom, whatever you need to do. After your break just waltz on back to your register. Your GSA/GSTL may or may not stop you if they need you to take over for someone else's register (ALWAYS make sure they signed out, otherwise sign our for them)

3. As a cashier, bring your phone with you. Trust me. Download Cartwheel on it if you don't have it already. You can make a guest's day if you pull out your phone and use Cartwheel for them on an item they didn't know they needed Cartwheel for (ex: we have a 25% C9 apparel sale on Cartwheel. Signs posted on the store but everyone seems to miss the part that says CARTWHEEL APP).

Also you're new so you're going to be targeted (no pun intended) by couponers. If you get someone buying multiples of a product, wanting to do split transactions and they have a giant ass wad of coupons call your GSA/GSTL and ask them to do it for you to show you how to properly handle it until you're comfortable. Couponers are a big problem so they should happily help you learn the ropes of it.

Good luck and welcome! Also I'm sorry you got stuck as a cashier.

there's a buzzer by the door to alert someone to let you in
why would that annoy someone???
if the buzzer annoyed people, why would they have a buzzer???????

One additional bit of info: at my store, we're not supposed to leave the property on a 15 minute break.

there's a buzzer by the door to alert someone to let you in
why would that annoy someone???
if the buzzer annoyed people, why would they have a buzzer???????

If you're using it during business hours rather than coming in the main entrance? Why wouldn't that be annoying?

One additional bit of info: at my store, we're not supposed to leave the property on a 15 minute break.

That's technically corporate policy, it's a safety thing. At my store no one actually cares to enforce it, I go and buy food from the other stores in our parking lot on my breaks regularly.

Slow Down and BREATHE

hello so i just had orientation saturday and my first day is tomorrow and im really nervous and have a lot of questions so if u could answer any that would help

first what do i do when i get there? my shift starts at 3 and i need to get my employee number (idk what that is..) to punch in with so the orientation guy told me to go 10-15 minutes earlier so i had time to do that
If they didn't give you a TM number at orientation. Then ask if any member of HR can assist you with that. The first week or so, you will be doing punch corrections until you are fully entered into the payroll system. After that, you will punch in. On your first day, report to the service desk and request for the GSTL/GSA so they can place you properly.

do i go in the employee door? or just the main entrance? i forget what i was told (if i was even told) on where to enter. the employee door i know where it is but do i buzz in with the buzzer bell thing? or will that annoy people? HELP. then do i just ask the person at the TSC desk about my punch in code number?
If its during open hours, go through the front doors then into TMSC. During non-store hours the TMSC door will be the entrance.

second what happens with breaks..? im training for cashier so will someone tell me when to go on break? also its not a long shift as to require a meal so i only get a 15... do i just go chill in the break room? do i just walk back over to the registers after 15 minutes? plz explain breaks to me
You can do what ever you want on breaks except hang around your work center or leave the property. And maybe eat inside Food Ave. You can shop, but wear a jacket or another shirt so guests won't stop you.

third theres lockers in the TSC... should i put my phone in there?? can i grab my phone before break then go to the break room or should i just hang out in the TSC for my 15? theres chairs and iwas told ur always welcome there so... idk.
most stores will say you can't carry your phone on the floor unless using it for item lookups.

Last edited:
I would not suggest using cartwheel for guests on your phone. The point of having guests download cartwheel is to get them in the store. I did have a GSA use it once when a guest had it on her phone, but was having trouble logging in. If a guest tells you they don't have a smartphone, tell them they can go to the cartwheel website to load offers and print out their Barcode.

ASANTS, but it's not allowed at my store.

And at my store I load it to the my device cause I don't carry my phone. Asants of course

first what do i do when i get there? my shift starts at 3 and i need to get my employee number (idk what that is..) to punch in with so the orientation guy told me to go 10-15 minutes earlier so i had time to do that BUT do i go in the employee door? or just the main entrance? i forget what i was told (if i was even told) on where to enter. the employee door i know where it is but do i buzz in with the buzzer bell thing? or will that annoy people? HELP. then do i just ask the person at the TSC desk about my punch in code number?

im veru stressed and lost and nervous for tomorrow and i need any advice u have THANKS U!!

1) When you get there, if they in fact haven't given you a TM number, then go and check in with whoever is at the TMSC desk, or if there is nobody there, you can drop by the ETL-HR's office (usually in TMSC as far as I know). It'll be labeled ETL-HR. If the door is closed, make sure you knock first (confidential shit goes on in there, don't just barge in if the door is closed). If nobody is it the TMSC desk or in the ETL-HR office, the best thing to do is just drop by the Service Desk and let them know you're here to start but you don't have a TM number to clock in, and they can page the appropriate person on the walkie for you. Once you're done getting your TM number, they will likely direct you to your GSA/GSTL for direction or they may get you started on some training on the computer. If you aren't given any direction after you get your employee ID number, again, just stop by the service desk and they will page the GSA/GSTL and they will get you started.

2.) Since you're coming in at 3, just come in the main entrance. The employee entrance is only for hours when the store isn't open...if you ever do have to use it, make sure you have your ID on you, as it is policy to show ID to get in the store during non-store hours. And you will have to use the buzzer to let them know you're there. Don't be afraid to lay on that damn thing either if nobody is answering. But again - only need to worry about it if you're coming in before the store opens/after it closes. Otherwise, use the main entrance.

3.) Your punch in code number is your employee number.

6.)Someone will tell you when to go on break. Do whatever the hell you want on your break (just make sure it isn't illegal...there's cameras). I never heard of not being able to leave the store, but ASANTS. Ask someone at your store to clarify.

7) I know somebody said that after your break, to go ahead and hop back on the checklane you were on originally, but this is definitely ASANTS. At my old store that's a big NO-NO and one of the easiest ways to piss off your GSA/GSTL (TRUST ME). You will likely need to go cover a break for another cashier or sometimes be put on another task altogether. Ask your GSA/GSTL if they want you back on your original lane or to check in with them first.

8.) Yes, you can put your phone or any personal belongings you'd like in a locker in TMSC. I preferred to have my phone on me in case I got any emergency calls. Just don't play on it.

Any more questions, feel free to ask

Everyone pretty much answered all your questions. Don't really sweat it to much, one of etl always tells us to not stress out over things too much "We sell diapers and toilet paper... just give me your best effort that is all I ask for."

2.) Don't be afraid to lay on that damn thing either if nobody is answering.

I highly suggest NOT laying on that damn thing. I've seen many new team members get chewed out by our overnight ETL for doing that. If it's cold outside, he'll make you wait ten minutes and then chew you out afterwards. Buzz it once, wait three minutes, then buzz again.

They are usually making their way up to the front of the store from the back, so don't expect an instant response.

@GSAhole You've never actually heard what the doorbell sounds like in the backroom/receiving have you? That thing is painfully loud and there is a special circle of hell for people who hold it down for more than a couple seconds. Or suggest doing so.

I highly suggest NOT laying on that damn thing. I've seen many new team members get chewed out by our overnight ETL for doing that. If it's cold outside, he'll make you wait ten minutes and then chew you out afterwards. Buzz it once, wait three minutes, then buzz again.

They are usually making their way up to the front of the store from the back, so don't expect an instant response.
Ha, just today our flow-TL just chewed out some TMs who showed up ~10-20 minutes early and kept ringing the door. Pretty much her first words once she opened the doors this morning were demanding to know who was responsible.

Next orientation I see, seriously considering crashing it to let the newbies know proper doorbell etiquette because for some reason they never bring that up.

@GSAhole You've never actually heard what the doorbell sounds like in the backroom/receiving have you? That thing is painfully loud and there is a special circle of hell for people who hold it down for more than a couple seconds. Or suggest doing so.
Is that so, now? See you in hell then.
And actually, the problem at my store was that THERE WAS NO BELL IN THE BACKROOM. I was not even aware that any stores had that wonderful feature. I've sat out in the freezing fucking cold for 20 minutes after ringing the bell, and NOBODY would answer until I called the damn store (one time I didn't even have a phone, that didn't go well). You could only hear the bell up front and in clerical. The assholes on flow team wouldn't walkie the LOD and let them know somebody was outside, either. I also saw this happen plenty of times to other TM's. But, if somebody wants to sit out in the cold for a half hour and you wanna advise them to do so, you guys can be my guest. I ain't doin it though, not going to let my place of work treat me like a stray animal.

Last edited:
The most important question you should ask is "What do I get in return for giving my soul to Target?".

thank u guys!! i ended up going in through the front door which is what we are supoosed to do and since it was my first day i had the guest services woman call the GTSL and he gave me my number and showed me how to punch in then set me up to watch a cashier and then i went on and rang guests up by myself as he went into the register beside me and was there if i needed help... so everything was ok! i get bad anxiety so sorry about my psycho post. :)

thank u guys!! i ended up going in through the front door which is what we are supoosed to do and since it was my first day i had the guest services woman call the GTSL and he gave me my number and showed me how to punch in then set me up to watch a cashier and then i went on and rang guests up by myself as he went into the register beside me and was there if i needed help... so everything was ok! i get bad anxiety so sorry about my psycho post. :)

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy
Keep it up and you'll be a pro. !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back