Archived First NCNS in 8 years... get a CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a NCNS a couple weeks ago. It was a Sunday (first day of the week) . I read the wrong schedule.

I came in a few hours later to shop (really truly thinking it was my day off) and the LOD laughed and said "missed you this morning!" I ran to clerical in my street clothes to see for myself. I was so embarrassed.

Today, 2 weeks later I got a write up for it. The kind where you can't be promoted or transfer for 6 mos. Is that a CA??

This just bugs me so much. Many ETLs ago, I made this mistake (8 years ago roughly... I've been at Target for almost 10)

At that time, 8 years ago, the LOD called me at home. I was at the store within the hour... Apologizing profusely and nothing more was said again.

This time, they called in another TM to work my shift. But they didn't call me. OK fine.

But honestly, I was taken aback by the write up.

It seems we used to be seen as a team. But not anymore. Knowing someone to be dependable and they don't show? We don't check in anymore. Thank dog I didn't choke on a cheeto and die overnight or my body may still be rotting, lol.

I know I messed up. I guess once every 8 years is still a decent track record. But I had never been written up before. I guess I thought it would take more than one NCNS for that.

So is this the new norm? Write ups for little mess ups? Or had I just been working in a fantasy Target until now?

You are being treated harshly.

Not cool.

While I can tell the original poster is a Target vet (they still call it clerical) , I don't think their store did anything wrong.

At my store a NCNS is an automatic CA, doesnt matter who you are. You didnt show up to work and didnt notify the store.

No one wants a CA but they are only troublesome if its a "final warning" and even then, some stores still won't fire you.

Last edited:
The kind where you can't be promoted or transfer for 6 mos. Is that a CA??

Fwiw my store just had a starbucks tm on CA transfer to a store in DC, she wasnt on a final though. They took her anyways.

While there is a yes/no on the transfer form whether a tm is on CA it is still at the other stores discretion whether to take you or not.

At that time, 8 years ago, the LOD called me at home. I was at the store within the hour...

A lot has changed IMO. We have such skeleton crews, there isn't really time to call TMS who are missing and ask them to come in.

It's not really anyone's job to do that. You also may have avoided trouble because you actually worked that time.

I don't think you are the reason for this policy but there has been a lot of abuse of it in recent years. To me calling out 1.5 hours into your shift is wrong but Target allows you to do that and avoid NCNS.

I don't know many places that allow you to not show up and don't discipline you in some way. I think that's necessary in a business where one person missing can be so detrimental to the rest of the team. Especially a veteran like yourself who I bet is essential.

I don't care if you google my store and figure out who I am. When your tm doesn't show and you call looking for them they may be reported missing and their murderer may be caught quicker. I don't care how much I hate you as a fellow employee...we call. Every. Damn. Time. Because you are a person and someone would miss you. If you don't answer or call back some of us are still triggered years later by the fear of not knowing. Every new hrtm who says "its not best practice" gets told the same thing. Our store will always call as long as decent people still work there and remember a time when we were family not numbers.

A CA for once in 8yrs is crappy. If its truly best practice not much you can do though. Easiest one to not repeat though.

When your tm doesn't show and you call looking for them they may be reported missing and their murderer may be caught quicker. I don't care how much I hate you as a fellow employee...we call. Every. Damn. Time. Because you are a person and someone would miss you.

I appreciate your thoughtful points and I personally wouldn't mind calling no show TMs.

I feel like my hands are tied behind my back. We typically only find out who no showed when we get the closing email. Then we key them NCNS.

I am typically only told to call if they miss two days in a row and their ETL likes them and doesn't want them to get JA.

Only the LOD is keeping track of who no showed and they don't always tell me the day of.

Would be embarrassing to job abandon a TM who is missing or dead like you said.

Very valid points... thank you to all you all.

But to say that they didn't have time to call me... yet they took time to call in someone else to cover my shift, isn't that the same time waste?

As HRZone surmised, yes I was working in a work center that has to be covered. (You could say, essential). To me, all the more reason to call the one scheduled and say "where are you?"

I guess it is what it is. I'll deal. But a written warning with 6 months probation as they called it, still seems extreme in my opinion.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they must.

Just now I know Target takes attendance slips up very seriously. I got it now.

I might do myself a favor and come in 7 days a week for the next 6 months, just to not slip up again! :p

My store calls. I read the schedule wrong once (thought my shift started an hour later) and the LOD called about 20 minutes after the grid said I was supposed to be there. The LODs also call to fill c/o's...the HRTM never does.

6 months seems way too harsh. I think there should be a 3 month CA for minor attendance issues like this. I've known people who were a split second away from being in a fist fight who got a 6 month CA...how do you have the same punishment for threats of violence against another TM and a one time NCNS by an otherwise good employee? That's just dumb.

I'm really grateful that my HRTM called me when I missed a shift once. I was nearly 2hrs late, but I got there within like 15min of getting the call- even though I'd still been in bed when she called! I got lucky- the day before my TL had overheard me tell another TM that I was off the next day, and so when I didn't show up the next morning my TL realized what had happened and had HR call me. I was horrified- I felt SO bad.

My ETL called me another time...I think I was like 20min late. I forget what happened then- maybe I overslept? I don't know.

I agree with signingminion though, I think if someone doesn't show up for work a phone call should be made, if for no other reason than to try and make sure the person is ok. You hear so many stories of people being kidnapped/murdered, and it's discovered because they didn't show up to work. It sounds as though signingminion has personal experience with something like this...I can't even imagine how horrible that would be to go through with a TM.

I find that there is a lot of favoritism in this area. If they like ya, they'll call ya to see where you're at if you don't show up. Therefore new tms who they like don't get in any trouble for NCNS or being late without calling, but veterans might not be called and when they don't show, they're in trouble.

But yes I agree, calling to make sure someone is OK is the right thing to do. Especially a tm who normally has good attendance.

I had a NCNS a couple weeks ago. It was a Sunday (first day of the week) . I read the wrong schedule.

I came in a few hours later to shop (really truly thinking it was my day off) and the LOD laughed and said "missed you this morning!" I ran to clerical in my street clothes to see for myself. I was so embarrassed.

Today, 2 weeks later I got a write up for it. The kind where you can't be promoted or transfer for 6 mos. Is that a CA??

This just bugs me so much. Many ETLs ago, I made this mistake (8 years ago roughly... I've been at Target for almost 10)

At that time, 8 years ago, the LOD called me at home. I was at the store within the hour... Apologizing profusely and nothing more was said again.

This time, they called in another TM to work my shift. But they didn't call me. OK fine.

It seems we used to be seen as a team. But not anymore. Knowing someone to be dependable and they don't show? We don't check in anymore. Thank dog I didn't choke on a cheeto and die overnight or my body may still be rotting, lol.

I know I messed up. I guess once every 8 years is still a decent track record. But I had never been written up before. I guess I thought it would take more than one NCNS for that.

So is this the new norm? Write ups for little mess ups? Or had I just been working in a fantasy Target until now?
At my store they won't call you, and if a tm or tl calls that person will get in trouble as well. They'll just replace you with someone else.

If you've busted your ass off for that many years, no matter what position you are as a TM that's despicable in my opinion.
Not sure what CA means - but if you got written up for one NCNS after so long with such good attendance i would of left.

At my store, we have constant TMs who slack off.
2 of my fellow electronics TMs:
1 constantly calls out whenever he chooses, 1 constantly shows up late and doesn't even call out NCNS very often, and also i had another electronics TM who quit had the worst availability ever and complained about hours but would call out constantly too. It was ridiculous.

Yet, 2 of them still have there job today with such poor attendance. They'll make you feel bad, or tell them your on there watch list but you won't get written up for it or coached.
They should of atleast called you - minimum.

We aren't supposed to call. I will usually have another tm who is a friend text the no-show.

I appreciate your thoughtful points and I personally wouldn't mind calling no show TMs.

I feel like my hands are tied behind my back. We typically only find out who no showed when we get the closing email. Then we key them NCNS.

I am typically only told to call if they miss two days in a row and their ETL likes them and doesn't want them to get JA.

Only the LOD is keeping track of who no showed and they don't always tell me the day of.

Would be embarrassing to job abandon a TM who is missing or dead like you said.
We track late, call out, no call no show, and left early on the daily grid. So anyone can check it...95% are recorded in a timely manner.

TLs and up won't call people anymore (though our old ETL-HR used to do it). But if someone is missing, they'll usually ask a TM to text them and see if they're coming in. Some days that's the only reason half our flow team even makes it in.

I'll remember this the next time I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting for the opening LOD who is late. If someone didn't text or call someone, I guess we just don't open the store. And the opening LOD can just lie dead in their car in a ravine or in their bed. What a sad policy.

I once completely forgot I worked 2 days in a row, and it was scheduled I did. Came in shopping on the second day and the STL of all people seen me and was like "Pale, did you check your schedule?" Turns out i worked the day before and that day. Came in on the second day and made up for time missed but still counted as 2 NCNS. Thankfully my TL talked the STL out of putting me on CA Because I'd had flawless attendance before that besides one scuff where i was 30 min late due to a snowstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back