Archived Flow/backroom tl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious how you all deal with the role of flow/backroom TL position. I'm possibly in a position of take on the role. I'm from a much larger store where the two are separated. Just curious how you juggle the two different teams, and instocks on top of it. Would appreciate any input.

The two are separated at my store as well. Are you working the flow side of things or day side backroom? We have a SRTL over flow/early morning backroom (4 am store) and a SRTL over dayside backroom. Instocks is more of a sales floor thing at my store.

No its all under one tl at this store. Backroom and flow
The two are separated at my store as well. Are you working the flow side of things or day side backroom? We have a SRTL over flow/early morning backroom (4 am store) and a SRTL over dayside backroom. Instocks is more of a sales floor thing at my store.

I'm a SrTL in charge of all of LOG and instocks. I used to be flow TL and there was a different backroom TL, but the positions merged when he quit.

It's actually nice being in charge of all LOG, if, and only if, you have the full support of your ETL and STL. If you're in a store that shits on LOG, I would do whatever I could to avoid that position.

The key is you have to be a hands-off LEADER. It's you're job to streamline, coordinate and oversee multiple workcenters all at once (especially during flow days). Set expectations and develop your team constantly because you can't be everywhere at once.

I'm a SrTL in charge of all of LOG and instocks. I used to be flow TL and there was a different backroom TL, but the positions merged when he quit.

It's actually nice being in charge of all LOG, if, and only if, you have the full support of your ETL and STL. If you're in a store that shits on LOG, I would do whatever I could to avoid that position.

The key is you have to be a hands-off LEADER. It's you're job to streamline, coordinate and oversee multiple workcenters all at once (especially during flow days). Set expectations and develop your team constantly because you can't be everywhere at once.
That makes sense. I'm trying to come up with a few questions to guage their expectations, and also guage how they run log over there. Trying to get my etl log to show me how big there trucks/pulls are and what their instock process is like. I'm a firm believer that a strong instocks team can make/break a store. I know at my store it has been a huge process in streamlining the rest of log. But our team does a lot more than just instocks. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the same stuff since it's so much smaller.

I would check their headcount and see if they are supposed to have separate BR and Flow TLs. My store has a BRTL who was somewhat forced into taking on Flow as well due to high turnover of Flow TLs. It was pretty rough for him at first, but the toxic ETL-LOG is gone and he gets a lot of support from the STL and the veteran BR team. Still, we typically take 5 trucks a week, and he often works off the clock for several hours per week to get everything accomplished.

I would check their headcount and see if they are supposed to have separate BR and Flow TLs. My store has a BRTL who was somewhat forced into taking on Flow as well due to high turnover of Flow TLs. It was pretty rough for him at first, but the toxic ETL-LOG is gone and he gets a lot of support from the STL and the veteran BR team. Still, we typically take 5 trucks a week, and he often works off the clock for several hours per week to get everything accomplished.
No its supposed to be that way at this store. It's just a really low volume store. It's in not the best city in my region. Only thing keeping it alive is the college. I believe it's a three truck a week store.

Ok so that's not too bad then, since you'll have two full days to devote to BR or instocks every week.

Something else to look for is making sure the ETL is supportive (why did the last TL leave?) and making sure the Flow team is motivated to do a good job (not easy if they are working 12 hours a week).

Ok so that's not too bad then, since you'll have two full days to devote to BR or instocks every week.

Something else to look for is making sure the ETL is supportive (why did the last TL leave?) and making sure the Flow team is motivated to do a good job (not easy if they are working 12 hours a week).
He's actually getting "promoted" just moving positions to one he wants more. No drastic reasons haha. Having a sit down with my etl log tomorrow to go over some of there statistics and see what kind of process they are.

That makes sense. I'm trying to come up with a few questions to guage their expectations, and also guage how they run log over there. Trying to get my etl log to show me how big there trucks/pulls are and what their instock process is like. I'm a firm believer that a strong instocks team can make/break a store. I know at my store it has been a huge process in streamlining the rest of log. But our team does a lot more than just instocks. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the same stuff since it's so much smaller.

While instocks is certainly important, it's BR/flow that makes or breaks a store. Having been with Spot for 10 years, I've seen and worked in all type of stores and markets. If logistics isn't running smoothly, nothing runs well. LOG can be running great and you can have a terrible sales floor team (aka my current situation), and the store can still do well.

We take 3 trucks a week, ~2000/1800/1800.

Autos are generally 3ish hours, 1s are around 30 minutes and 3s are around 90-120 minutes. 5s on Fri/Sat are generally small.

While instocks is certainly important, it's BR/flow that makes or breaks a store. Having been with Spot for 10 years, I've seen and worked in all type of stores and markets. If logistics isn't running smoothly, nothing runs well. LOG can be running great and you can have a terrible sales floor team (aka my current situation), and the store can still do well.

We take 3 trucks a week, ~2000/1800/1800.

Autos are generally 3ish hours, 1s are around 30 minutes and 3s are around 90-120 minutes. 5s on Fri/Sat are generally small.
Should be similar to those numbers. I know I'll do fine with the backroom stuff, it's just the flow side I haven't exactly mastered. I can easily lead a backroom, just never lead a flow team. How many people are on a flow team for a store that small generally?

Should be similar to those numbers. I know I'll do fine with the backroom stuff, it's just the flow side I haven't exactly mastered. I can easily lead a backroom, just never lead a flow team. How many people are on a flow team for a store that small generally?

We try to schedule around 25 with 4 more in the BR. Ramping it up right now trying to get close to 30 for November and closer to 35 for December.

We try to schedule around 25 with 4 more in the BR. Ramping it up right now trying to get close to 30 for November and closer to 35 for December.
So not too different from my store, I guess. Probably just a lot more hours at my store. I fairly excited over the prospect of running both teams. Seems like I could fix a lot of problems I know I have at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back