Archived Flowteam Safety Concerns: Baler/pallets/spills/certification etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just joined the forum, thought this might be a good place to go after coming here a few times and not being a member.
So...I've worked at Target for 3 years now on the flow team. I do the blackline/backstock side of the line for the unload. It was hard enough to do all the backstock before, but ever since the new grocery team was implemented with use of Uboats (not sure if this is in every store) my space to work has been cut in half. Pallets are never pulled from the back side during the unload and they fill up pretty fast, so when I come in my line set up has two rows of pallets. I have to fill the back pallets first, forcing me to walk on the front line of pallets. I thought walking on pallets was against safety policy yet I'm forced to every single day.

I've also been operating the baler, compactor, WAV, Electric pallet jack, and stacker (we call it the Crown) every shift for over a year now, being as I'm the "cardboard guy" and yet have never been certified. Normally when there is a spill in the store, I'm asked to clean it since I'm one of the longest working flow members at my store, but I was never certified for spill/ESIM cleanup either. I've asked multiple times to my ETL, and TL to be certified on all of these things, multiple times in front of the ETL for HR, it hasn't happened. I feel like if OSHA ever showed up the store would be facing some major fines.

Sounds like a poorly run store. Your Flow TL should adjust the custom blocks to compensate for the uboats. Nothing Target sells is really that hazardous to clean up, except a few cleaners like oven cleaner. Just wear gloves and you'll be fine.

You should be certified on the baler, crown, wave etc. Since you already know how to use them its simply a matter of signing a few papers. As far as cleaning up spills go. IF you haven't taken the training for spills you are not suppose to clean up anything other than food products and beverage water, soda etc. I know most stores don't enforce this but if you are cleaning up any kind of chemical be it laundry detergent, nail polish etc you are suppose to have the training.

Target is way too amateur when it comes to OSHA. Upper mgmt usually only cares about the ESIM side. Yes you should have proper training. TLs need to do things "BY THE BOOK" that stuff wasnt written down and regulations werent implemented for no reason. Accidents have happened. People have been sued. Good luck.

Target is way too amateur when it comes to OSHA. Upper mgmt usually only cares about the ESIM side. Yes you should have proper training. TLs need to do things "BY THE BOOK" that stuff wasnt written down and regulations werent implemented for no reason. Accidents have happened. People have been sued. Good luck.

Once upon a time, they really took it seriously. But now I think it's an after thought.

Hey all, just joined the forum, thought this might be a good place to go after coming here a few times and not being a member.
So...I've worked at Target for 3 years now on the flow team. I do the blackline/backstock side of the line for the unload. It was hard enough to do all the backstock before, but ever since the new grocery team was implemented with use of Uboats (not sure if this is in every store) my space to work has been cut in half. Pallets are never pulled from the back side during the unload and they fill up pretty fast, so when I come in my line set up has two rows of pallets. I have to fill the back pallets first, forcing me to walk on the front line of pallets. I thought walking on pallets was against safety policy yet I'm forced to every single day.

I've also been operating the baler, compactor, WAV, Electric pallet jack, and stacker (we call it the Crown) every shift for over a year now, being as I'm the "cardboard guy" and yet have never been certified. Normally when there is a spill in the store, I'm asked to clean it since I'm one of the longest working flow members at my store, but I was never certified for spill/ESIM cleanup either. I've asked multiple times to my ETL, and TL to be certified on all of these things, multiple times in front of the ETL for HR, it hasn't happened. I feel like if OSHA ever showed up the store would be facing some major fines.

The U-boats present a challenge at our store on the backside of the line. Technically not enough room to walk unimpeded with the steel on both sides.

Then you have the problem of trying to stack on the carts themselves. Just not a well thought out idea. I fear that someone is going to hurt trying to shuttle boxes to their destination.

We have the exact same problem with uboats on our line. We haven't come up with a better solution besides walking on the pallets and hoping they don't get too full. The uboats took up space on the back side that used to be used for overflow/transition. It's going to be impossible to handle some of the trucks we used to get around big sets where every pallet on the back was 7 feet high.

I wouldn't worry about most certifications if you already know how to use the equipment. For spills, nobody except those with special training should be cleaning up chemicals (such as cleaning supplies, nail polish, shampoo, etc). Anything else should be cleaned up by whoever the fuck spilled it.

I'll have to go the workbench route, almost 3 weeks since talking to the HR ETL about certs and nothing has changed. Ejector chain sheared off the baler a couple days ago after having told the maintenance mechanic a week ago it was loose. This place is run so poorly I can't believe I've stayed here this long. Starting at midnight was bad enough but now that it's 4am I'm about done.

I'll have to go the workbench route, almost 3 weeks since talking to the HR ETL about certs and nothing has changed. Ejector chain sheared off the baler a couple days ago after having told the maintenance mechanic a week ago it was loose. This place is run so poorly I can't believe I've stayed here this long. Starting at midnight was bad enough but now that it's 4am I'm about done.
Look on the bright side, you could injure yourself after inquiring about numerour safety concerns and get paid to stay home by Target! o_O

Chemical combinations are problematic esp during the unload. Vinegar w bleach, w rubbing alcohol, w ammonia all cause toxic fumes. Nearly any cleaner mixed w bleach, chlorine tablets can cause big trouble. Clean up spills fast and use individual bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back