Archived Food Ave Closing.. Starbucks?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my boss scares me.. and pulls me aside and tells me Starbucks is a go and my training is for 2 weeks and very intense... great. #newbeginnings I’ve been at Food Ave for 4 years and they only have me as of now. No one else in Food Ave wanted to do Starbucks!

How intense is the training?
What can I expect?
Is it guaranteed hours? ( I liked that about FA)
How does the transition go?

Sorry for so many questions it’s just my bosses are so clueless and I see that a lot of GE are in control of this area but the GSTL has been in charge.

Not to be rude but there is literally a thread on this page about cafe closing. No need to start a new thread.

You will probably train at a nearby store that already has a Starbucks. @Yetive @redeye58 @Xanatos are among the great resources here.

Hours are guaranteed in that our contract requires us to have Starbucks open from store open until close (usually a few hours before the store closes)

But it's not guaranteed for you as an individual. Speaking for my store, our cafe team members get a lot of hours because no one really wants to be there.

Starbucks is a popular area so the hours can fluctuate. Just a heads up.

Last edited:
So my boss scares me.. and pulls me aside and tells me Starbucks is a go and my training is for 2 weeks and very intense... great. #newbeginnings I’ve been at Food Ave for 4 years and they only have me as of now. No one else in Food Ave wanted to do Starbucks!

How intense is the training?
What can I expect?
Is it guaranteed hours? ( I liked that about FA)
How does the transition go?

Sorry for so many questions it’s just my bosses are so clueless and I see that a lot of GE are in control of this area but the GSTL has been in charge.
Sometimes, when they open a sbux, the entire new team is trained in the store before it opens. It's a lot, but doing it that way gets everyone on the same page. Some stores, the hours are pretty good because it takes so long to train people they put off hiring. Volunteer to do the AST training if possible (if you are having 2 weeks of closed store training, this will probably happen anyway). Learn to order and do inventory. These are ways to ensure that you get hours. Also, the Starbucks leaders thread has some good info. Probably more useful after you have done your training though.

Welcome to sbux.

Dorky British training videos, but they show what equipment you will be working on, and what the training may be like.

Reactions: Dog
I ran FA for three years then they replaced it with a SB. I was gung-ho to learn how to be a barista but - long story short - it wasn't my cup of tea and I got out of it. I did the 2 week thing and it wasn't intense at all. A lot of time was wasted and when we were "certified" we didn't really know all that much.

You might like it. I didn't.

Here in Anchorage we have such an intense coffee culture that there is a barista school.
It's a week long, five hours a day, and includes history of coffee, kinds, grinding, tamping, how to use a real espresso machine (without burning yourself), clean it, and make all the drinks.
It's a lot like the bartending schools.
They have given some of our folks with disabilities free classes which is very cool.

We touched on all of that.

They had a lousy training plan and trainer.

The first two days were spent unpacking and setting everything up.

That left 8 training days, and they wasted a lot of time during those days.

I got exactly 8 hours of training. I was left alone on a NCNS on day 3.
I suggest that you do 2 things:
  1. Prepare for a hellish experience. It will be difficult the first 2 months.
  2. Study on your own. Learn the drinks from the app. Watch the training videos (see what Yetive has posted above). You can cut the 2 months of hell to 2 weeks.

Thank you so much! I’m nervous! I’m going to get trained and then train cashiers when I get back.. they want me to train 6 people to cover lunches and breaks.. I just hope I get it!

Last edited:
Yeh, training others to cover breaks isn't gonna be a quickie, at-a-glance experience since it takes repetition/practice to master & maintain.
If you focus on the construction of each type of drink they might be able to follow the recipe cards but regular practice is needed to keep from forgetting what they learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back