Archived Food distribution center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, so I just got hired to work at a food distribution center. My shift hours are 2-1030 Friday-Monday (I believe). I will be working in the freezer. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had advice for me or ideas as to what I will be doing. Thanks!

Welcome!
From another thread on FDC:

Pros
- 5 8s can be a pro depending on a preference.
-I have never worked in an RDC but I think there OB spots that for sure more labor intensive. Its not a walk in the park here either, but I think the hardest jobs exist over there
-Doesnt get super hot in the Summer like other warehouse jobs

Cons
-Its cold but you get used to it
Thanks
Codered95, May 5, 2016

Thanks for the replies. The guy giving the tour said the freezer guys love it there so I hope that's the case

Welp, my orientation is tomorrow. Since I don't see much info about the food distribution centers here I'll try and fill you guys in once I figure things out :)

Rats I'm in the east and my FDC is outside of Columbus Ohio

Over the spring we had a 2,000 PC food trailer come to our store. Your FDC services our Target. I was making a joke, kind of sort of.

pls dont h8
No problem I just wasn't sure what that meant

Over the spring we had a 2,000 PC food trailer come to our store. Your FDC services our Target. I was making a joke, kind of sort of.

pls dont h8
And I thought our 1700 piece truck was huge. We now average about 1200 piece truck 4 times a week.

Well it's been a couple weeks now and I think I'm getting the hang of the job. Picking up boxes and loading them on caddies gets pretty repetitive but the pay is nice. The pick labels can really slow you down but I assume they're pretty important for the stores.

Well it's been a couple weeks now and I think I'm getting the hang of the job. Picking up boxes and loading them on caddies gets pretty repetitive but the pay is nice. The pick labels can really slow you down but I assume they're pretty important for the stores.
Yes, those pic labels are very important for the store. When the Ohio FDC had printer issues for months and we at the stores couldn't scan them, it killed productivity.

Last edited:
Yes, those pic labels are very important for the store. When the Ohio FDC had printers issues for months and we at the stores couldn't scan them, it killed productivity.

This. It was almost like going back to C&S.

@jms2013, your FDC does pick labels too? I thought Ohio was the only one.

This. It was almost like going back to C&S.

@jms2013, your FDC does pick labels too? I thought Ohio was the only one.
Yep the caddies have printers attached to them that print them out. We put them on almost everything in the freezer except ice cream. They don't always seem to stick on the best though which is why I wondered how important they are

The pick labels can really slow you down but I assume they're pretty important for the stores.
Yes they make things 100 times easier! It tells the stockers exactly where the item goes (aisle/section/shelf/position) and the barcode is used to backstock whatever casepacks don't fit on the floor.

It wastes so much time having to lookup where items go or print labels to backstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back