Archived Fraud Receipts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

We have several "guests" that come in with "found" receipts and then try to return the merchandise they have picked from the floor to match the receipt. Most of the time I end up doing a GC if they don't want it back to the card. Now what about a receipt that was paid for with cash? Any suggestions?

Give them cash. If they have a receipt, and it's actually valid, there's nothing you can do. If you have repeat offenders, or it's an expensive item, just bring it up to AP, and they'll handle the rest.

When you get guests that look shady(you know what I mean)and have a crumpled up receipt or suspect they've done it before partner with AP.You can try to pretend the receipt doesn't scan and say gimme a minute.Call Ap and have them pull cams for the guest and see if they came in with the merchandise or pulled it from the shelf.If it's the 2nd one let AP handle it and inform them they will not accept the return.

I disagree. Try your best to k5? Refund to gift card. This helps in many ways

The issue is, if someone has a receipt on an item paid for with cash it is their right to get cash for returning the item.

Agree with others as a TM your job isnt to solve crime and you arent paid enough to but if you feel like doing the right thing let those above you or AP handle it

The issue is, if someone has a receipt on an item paid for with cash it is their right to get cash for returning the item.

Agree with others as a TM your job isnt to solve crime and you arent paid enough to but if you feel like doing the right thing let those above you or AP handle it
This is assuming we have AP in the building. We know for a fact these receipts are ones they find on the ground, find the items in the store, or in most cases another store, and then try to return the items in our store. This guy usually has several receipts and often when doing a return will get a message that some of the items he is trying to return have already been returned off that receipt. AP is aware of this guy and several others who do this, but nothing happens.

If you can let AP know about it, then let them know as it is happening....Most likely its to late to do anything right at that moment, But like The Dude says, we can build on it, if they come back and do it again, we can stop them and charge them on the current crime and add on the past crimes....but that is only if you tell us that you suspect something and we look up and save video.

I know it sucks telling AP about something that is going down and we don't do anything right away. But we have to follow very strict guidelines, and really in the grand scheme of things its for the best. I know at least one AP team member that got sued personally (false imprisonment, mental distress, or something like that) for stopping someone that didn't have anything on them. It was thrown out (luckily), but was still obviously fired and had to pay for their own attorney.

It used to be that only ETL-APs could do off the floor refund fraud apprehensions. I think it has changed, but for the most part, I think AP likes to have atleast a couple of instances of these for a person to get stopped. Off the floor refunds are usually more tricky then just regular merchandise theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back