Archived Front End Training Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

complianceisbad

n00b GSTL
SO I was promoted to GSTL from HR TM and I’m about 2/3 done with my two weeks of training and I was just wondering around about how long will it take for me to fully understand the front end? I’m coming from 4 years of HR and I know literally nothing about guest service and my first shift alone is a closing shift. I feel like I’m going to mess something up and get coached lol my anxiety is through the roof. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense I just needed to vent!

SO I was promoted to GSTL from HR TM and I’m about 2/3 done with my two weeks of training and I was just wondering around about how long will it take for me to fully understand the front end? I’m coming from 4 years of HR and I know literally nothing about guest service and my first shift alone is a closing shift. I feel like I’m going to mess something up and get coached lol my anxiety is through the roof. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense I just needed to vent!

Literally 3 days of training here....and my store is still standing.

Not an all-encompassing list by any means but here's my two cents:

Daily-

Speak with every member of your front end team to get to know them. Learn what motivates a cashier to get red cards and a cart attendant to clean up vomit when needed. Along those lines, don't expect your team to do anything you don't do on a consistent basis.

Keep your team informed with what is going on in the store and how it will impact them. Be honest about hours and staffing right now and be sure they know what coupons are in this week's ad. A well informed, knowledgeable team will provide great service.

Weekly-

Track your stores supply usage and place a SAP order every Monday. People get pissed when you run out of a bag size and team members will silently it judge you if you have to get receipt tape from another store. Don't go overboard, but do your best to not run out of supplies.

Know your goals each week and communicate them to your team. How many redcards do you need in a week, in a day, from each cashier? Set the expectations by getting everyone involved.

Monthly-

Celebrate successes as much as possible. Maybe it's the TM who got 8 redcards or it's the TM who got their first one ever. Be positive and show the team you care.

Confront issues when needed. Whether it's an attendance problem or a performance issue, it will not get any better unless you have the hard conversations with your team. No body likes them, but if done correctly they will keep your team moving inn the right direction.

Might not be what your looking for but that's the backbone of training I'm trying to instill on the two new GSTLs in my store right now.

BleacherSeats

@Hardlinesmaster gave you great advice. I hope my advice helps you for your first moments in the role and for the future.

Short term:

1) Talk to your team as Hardlinesmaster said. Specifically talk to your guest service team. You want to be humble as you're not coming from that workcenter and often guest service team members get frustrated calling people they feel knows less than them. The key is to be honest with them. Let them know there is a lot you still need to learn, but you're there for them. I would do this on your first solo day. They will give you respect for your honesty and if they help you, that's half of your worries for the shift right there.

2) Own your development. Spend a lot of time on workbench looking up policies, processes, etc. Everything you need is somewhere on workbench. This gives you an understanding of what is expected.

3) One minute huddles. As your cashiers are coming in greet them, ask them how's everything going, set expectations for the day (RedCards, reshop, zones, etc). Let them know you're there if they need you.

4) First day closing? There is a lot I can mention but most important thing is to make sure you nail the banking process. Have a cashier zone the checklanes, and try to leave 0 reshop. Those are the most basic things.

Most important is the banking. Don't let anyone rush you or distract you.

**** Never ask a team member to do something you wouldn't do ****

Long term:

1) Routines. This means set up routines for cashiers, SCO team members (we have a set team there), guest service, and GSTLs/GSAs. This way you all know what is expected. I'll give you a few examples but ultimately you have to come up with what fits your team:

Ex GSTL Routines
- Mondays (Pre-tie sales planners)
- Tuesdays (equipment audit)
- Wednesdays (execute sales planners)
- Thursdays (personal cashier training)
- Fridays (RedCard Performance recap)

Ours is way more detailed but that's the idea. You want to have each area have routines. Each day we come in we know what the focus is for that day.

2) Development, development, development! Going hand and hand with personal training, try to grab a team member and teach them something outside of the box. For example partner with the backroom for them to learn things that'll benefit your workcenter and them. Also if it's something you don't know learn with the team member. Teach them how to Plano, pull batches, back stock, pull items, etc. This will give them tools you can utilize and also tools that'll help them move forward with the company. Most of the stuff I know isn't training I recirece, it's training I sought out.

A strong team greatly helps. I always focus on two to three guest service team members to develop as if they're GSAs. Often having them shadow me or run the floor. Only getting my assistance if they absolutely need it. To me development is the most important part of leadership.

3) Push surveys and use MyGuest (on workbench) to identify negative and positive trends. This will tell you areas to focus on, and areas that you're succeeding in.

4) GSAs should be as strong as you are. Self-explanatory.

5) Always communicate with your peers and ETLs.

These are the things off of the top of my head that I think will help set you up for success. If I think of more I'll let you know. Remember to have thick skin and build a strong supportive team.

Last edited:
Spend one day as a cashier and one day as a normal GSTM. See how things go from their perspective. Ask them questions.

Also assuming your ETL is okay with it: BACK UP YOUR TEAM MEMBERS!!! There is nothing worse than I tell a guest no we can’t (and I’m correctly in policy) and then GSTL come a over and makes me look like an idiot by just doing it. It shows to the guest they can ask for a manager and get hatever they want.

I’m going to kind of recap on what everyone else said. Most of what I would of said is already covered. Make sure you know your team and what they enjoy to do and work with it, we have team members here that either HATE or love self checkout, we work around that to make sure people are having a fun time at work. Make sure you backup your team so at my store if the gstl is called to guest services it’s either a hard problem or a troubled guest, have the gstm explain what they are doing and try to side with them as much as possible, if they know what they are doing up there don’t competely go against them unless what they are doing is completly out of policies.

All I can say is just make a routine on what you need to achieve and share it with the team so everyone is on the same page, my store lacked in communication in the front leadership wise so we created a group chat and everything is running 10x smother being able to communicate what needs doing and what’s done.

Lastly just don’t rush in what you are doing, aka closing, you should get it down in a couple shifts, just don’t rush through it and make sure everything is done correctly. The one thing I hate in CO is having an extra bundle left because the gstl rushed it and didn’t bank a lane

Ofc this forums is really good so if you have any specific questions we should get you a good answer pretty quickly

2) Development, development, development! Going hand and hand with personal training, try to grab a team member and teach them something outside of the box. For example partner with the backroom for them to learn things that'll benefit your workcenter and them. Also if it's something you don't know learn with the team member. Teach them how to Plano, pull batches, back stock, pull items, etc. This will give them tools you can utilize and also tools that'll help them move forward with the company.

Wow, development for cashiers!?!? The vast majority in my store are college students, Moms with grade school kids, and seniors...basically folks looking to
make a few bucks. Most of them are good at taking care of our guests, but are just looking for a paycheck, not move up Spot's corporate ladder.

if your store has a photo, train every cashier how to bag and tag, and pull out some to learn more advanced photo stuff (apex, kiosk help, changing paper, etc)

also don't be afriad to ask experienced cashiers or GSTMs for help. they'll like you more because they'll see you more as an equal. also, connect with them on a human level-- i love when it's quiet and my GSTL hangs at GS for a few minutes just talking with us.

Wow, development for cashiers!?!? The vast majority in my store are college students, Moms with grade school kids, and seniors...basically folks looking to
make a few bucks. Most of them are good at taking care of our guests, but are just looking for a paycheck, not move up Spot's corporate ladder.

Well I started as a cashier and moved up. If you're at the job might as well learn as much as you can, and be the best you can be. If you have older people that are only there for the paycheck that's fine. I seriously doubt you don't have people who you can develop as future leaders. Most TLs started as team members so there is that.

Best advice I can give (especially for closing) is find a routine and stick to it. Your first few closing shifts as GSTL you don't sleep because you're worried about making a mistake, so to avoid that in the long term by making a closing routine and try not to deter from it (and as @SilentCrow said don't let anyone distract you - I tend to block out any cashier requests when I am closing registers -- especially self checkout -- so I don't get screwed up).

Also familiarize yourself with register maintenance. Anytime you call the CSC they will ask you to troubleshoot before they send a tech out so the more you learn how to fix things before you call the better off you will be.

@Amanda Cantwell is so right... spend a day with your teams. I spend one day a week at the service desk and it allows me to see the process from my team's perspective and allows me to better solve problems and work with the other work centers. I also agree that you need to back your team up whenever possible, but make it clear that there will be times when you have to make it right.

When it comes to calling for backup... make sure you need it and make sure you stay on top of it. I hate when another TL or ETL has to call, because it means I'm not out there (sometimes that's out of your control, mind you, but still isn't the greatest feeling). The longer you are at the front the easier it is to predict it and manage it. I will say sometimes it takes me being stern over the walkie talkie to get a response, but don't be nasty. I've made that mistake.

Best thing you can do is be flexible and be available. GSTLs get a lot of flack from other departments because either they call for backup when it isn't needed, or they generally have no insight into how other departments work. Work with the other TLs and ETLs and get an understanding of what they have to do. I find that because I have developed great working relationships with my fellow leaders I don't have as much trouble getting the team to respond for backup or grab reshop when it is overflowing.

I think that is it, but as everyone has said don't be afraid to ask questions. I always say to the new cashiers I'd rather you ask a question a million times to get it right than not asking and get it wrong. Good luck!!

Starting out as a GSA with no prior Target experience, I was mostly partnered with a GSTL or another GSA for the functional training (cashier, GS, CO, SCO) which were all only one shift a piece except cash office. After that, the GSTL’s just started having me ‘run the shift’ so to speak. At first side by side, and then they started backing off and putting themselves at GS or whatever. Really can’t think of anything they could have done better as far as training goes.

Something that stands out to me now is the fact that our 2 GSTL’s are not on the same page when it comes to coaching. I really get along great with both of them, but certain cashier perspectives are that one is their friend and the other is out to get them. Reason being is that one of them coaches everything she sees and the other one doesn’t. It’s generally the problem people that feel that way about them. Whenever something happens I feel needs coaches when one of them isn’t there, ive been communicating it in email and sending it to them both, which has seemed to help, and is easier for me than to try and tell them both in person.

They also often vary a lot on what policies you should and shouldn’t bend when a guest is trying to get their way and shouldn’t. It’s made for some ‘should I or shouldn’t I’ moments for me. It might have eliminated a lot of second guessing myself if I had seen them operate a little bit more consistently in that respect.

I know that TL’s have meetings every so often and I’ve been thinking the GSTL/GSA team could benefit a lot from having a meeting of our own every so often. Once a month maybe? It would give us a chance to talk about the things I mentioned while everyone is present and come to agreement on how to handle certain things.

Starting out as a GSA with no prior Target experience, I was mostly partnered with a GSTL or another GSA for the functional training (cashier, GS, CO, SCO) which were all only one shift a piece except cash office. After that, the GSTL’s just started having me ‘run the shift’ so to speak. At first side by side, and then they started backing off and putting themselves at GS or whatever. Really can’t think of anything they could have done better as far as training goes.

Something that stands out to me now is the fact that our 2 GSTL’s are not on the same page when it comes to coaching. I really get along great with both of them, but certain cashier perspectives are that one is their friend and the other is out to get them. Reason being is that one of them coaches everything she sees and the other one doesn’t. It’s generally the problem people that feel that way about them. Whenever something happens I feel needs coaches when one of them isn’t there, ive been communicating it in email and sending it to them both, which has seemed to help, and is easier for me than to try and tell them both in person.

They also often vary a lot on what policies you should and shouldn’t bend when a guest is trying to get their way and shouldn’t. It’s made for some ‘should I or shouldn’t I’ moments for me. It might have eliminated a lot of second guessing myself if I had seen them operate a little bit more consistently in that respect.

I know that TL’s have meetings every so often and I’ve been thinking the GSTL/GSA team could benefit a lot from having a meeting of our own every so often. Once a month maybe? It would give us a chance to talk about the things I mentioned while everyone is present and come to agreement on how to handle certain things.
Its called , good cop/bad cop.

Don't panic! Front end can be a lot of fun, but it will also make you want to pull out your hair. There's a lot of stuff to do, and you probably won't get it down in a day (and that's fine). Just practice! Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about self-checkout or Guest Service and I'd be happy to help you out.

This guide to POS is also extremely helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back