Archived Fruit flies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i am a new fa&sbux tl.. We have fruit flies and I have been pleading with my team members to keep things clean. We have a warm environment which doesn't help. Any tips on getting rid of these?

"alert the lod" and then "record it in the pest control log"

I know our SBucks had a problem, and leaving all the pastries wrapped, ended up ending it after awhile.

Do you have bug lights at the front doors and/or around your FA/SB area?

Deep cleaning is super important. If your team is only cleaning the drains 3x per week (as the log tells us to), make sure they are doing it every night instead. We also spray eliminex down the sinks every day. Completely take apart the pastry case and clean every day. Get some zip lock bags and put banana peels in them before throwing them away. Also, I have my team take the garbage to the compactor at the end of the night (also, keep the cans clean). Have your PMT power wash the floor mats every week, and make sure the cleaning crew mops them every day. Pull out the pastry case and fridges so the cleaning crew will sweep and mop under the front and back line. This is for sbux. We don't have FA. So far, no problems at my store knock wood.

If they're in your pastry case, set up a trap about 10-15 feet away. This will help draw them away from the case. A cold sample cup of apple cider vinegar and 1-2 pumps of hand soap works great. Just remember to toss it before Steritech sees it.

As Yetive said, make sure the drains get cleaned daily. And check under the pastry case, fridges, and cabinets.

Try to look for things that don't get cleaned regularly. My dip well was disgusting because we were only cleaning the drain below it, so eliminex wasn't enough to get all of the build up; I couldn't believe the gunk that came out of it when I removed the whole thing and deep cleaned it. There is also a pipe under the pastry case that has a ton of condensation run through it (I'd estimate it at around a half gallon per day during the summer, as opposed to nothing during the winter), and that was pretty gross after I figured out how to remove it and clean it (you can also pour some eliminex down it if you get to it through the front of the case). Also make sure you pour eliminex down the ice bin when you clean it every week.

If you see a ton of flies hanging around the mats, it might be best to order some new ones. They're actually fairly cheap. And then make sure the new ones get cleaned regularly.

Do you have bug lights at the front doors and/or around your FA/SB area?
We have two at food ave but only one in the back room at Starbucks.. I will definitely look into whether or not we can get a second one at starbucks!

Deep cleaning is super important. If your team is only cleaning the drains 3x per week (as the log tells us to), make sure they are doing it every night instead. We also spray eliminex down the sinks every day. Completely take apart the pastry case and clean every day. Get some zip lock bags and put banana peels in them before throwing them away. Also, I have my team take the garbage to the compactor at the end of the night (also, keep the cans clean). Have your PMT power wash the floor mats every week, and make sure the cleaning crew mops them every day. Pull out the pastry case and fridges so the cleaning crew will sweep and mop under the front and back line. This is for sbux. We don't have FA. So far, no problems at my store knock wood.

I will definitely try these suggestions at my store! Thank you! We are already doing some of them like the floor drains. It seems like they are developing by the syrups and frappucino blenders throughout the day. I hope you don't get them!

Also, you will need to hold your team accountable for cleaning. Set clear expectations of what needs to be done and be consistent about follow up.
I am still within my first thirty days so I can only set clear expectations.. I can't hold them accountable yet. I will definitely make sure they understand the expectations I have about cleaning so after my first thirty I can start holding them accountable. Thanks!

If they're in your pastry case, set up a trap about 10-15 feet away. This will help draw them away from the case. A cold sample cup of apple cider vinegar and 1-2 pumps of hand soap works great. Just remember to toss it before Steritech sees it.

As Yetive said, make sure the drains get cleaned daily. And check under the pastry case, fridges, and cabinets.

Try to look for things that don't get cleaned regularly. My dip well was disgusting because we were only cleaning the drain below it, so eliminex wasn't enough to get all of the build up; I couldn't believe the gunk that came out of it when I removed the whole thing and deep cleaned it. There is also a pipe under the pastry case that has a ton of condensation run through it (I'd estimate it at around a half gallon per day during the summer, as opposed to nothing during the winter), and that was pretty gross after I figured out how to remove it and clean it (you can also pour some eliminex down it if you get to it through the front of the case). Also make sure you pour eliminex down the ice bin when you clean it every week.

If you see a ton of flies hanging around the mats, it might be best to order some new ones. They're actually fairly cheap. And then make sure the new ones get cleaned regularly.
Thanks, I didn't know about the pastry case! We use suma shine on our sinks and it makes them sparkle! I definitely suggest it! I definitely need to clean the mats! Thanks everyone!

Be careful wrapping the pastries. One store near me tried it and got dinged by Starbucks because they aren't supposed to be wrapped. I guess flies on the food is better than someone not being able to clearly see the pastries??? :rolleyes:

In the summer we do a display only pastry case to keep fruit flies away from the register area. Keep all selling pastries in their wrapper close to the case and unwrap as you sell them. It has done wonders for our fly problem. Starbucks wold rather the case look appealing than full so as long as you let them know about the issue they will not be too angry. Also if you have an older store under the back line counters could be debris and food that flies love. I try to go in at 4 am every other week to use a broom to get under the counter where the cleaning crew can't/won't get to.

To help with the syrup and blender area we make sure to replace syrup pumps everytime we open a new bottle and I have my team clean the blender area twice a day. We keep spare gaskets, isolation pads and sound guards to do this.

Trash bins need to be cleaned as well. Liquid can sometimes be at the bottom of them and that becomes fruit fly heaven. Moist and dark place for them to breed like crazy.

We had an issue as well for a bit and we would start storing stuff in the freezer/coolers at night. Meant we could find anything that went bad and would potentially kill off any survivors.

Drain cleaning is turning into a daily task this month once stores get the new chems.

Hi, while working in FA I had the same nightmare. Here are a couple of things you could try without using any kind not approved chemicals (even vinegar and soap would be a Steritech violation).
The first thing you need to know is that flies don't live too long so it's important to try avoid the breeding. They will harbor in humid, warm dark stick spots. With that in mind, find all the dark neglected spots and take care of those. One of the biggest problem areas was the rack that was holding the BIBs for the sodas and ICEEs. Each little drop leaking from one of those bags can pile up to a huge mess especially in the back of the rack where you can't see what's going on. The easiest fix for us was to tightly cover each box with a plastic bag and spray the whole thing with soapy water. Wipe everything down and dispose of the bags. For obvious reasons this was done at nightduring the closing shift. I would also use the soapy water (the one from the 3 compartment sink) to hose down the floor, reach under the storage racks, refrigerators,behind the dishwasher and so on. It will really surprise you what's hiding back there and it will also be easier for the cleaning crew to keep that area clean. Every night I would spray Eliminex on the rugs, let that sit for a bit and hose them down on the floor by the drain. All the LODs knew that I was baptizing the cafe every night and they were okay with it.
Something that could help with the drains is a toilet brush. Get a cheap cheap cheap one and use it to brush the inside of the drains every night. We also pressure wash the rugs every Monday. And washed rinsed and sanitized the trashcans every night.
The key is to have all TMs on board to keep the area as sanitized as possible and with a couple of extra tasks for every closing shifts you should have the situation under control.

Word of warning about the toilet brush. We got gigged by Steritech last year for having an unapproved brush in back. We now keep it on the cart in the cleaning closet.

Re: Toilet brush - we have one & it's never been mentioned.
Hmmmmmm.
Whenever I see fruit flies buzzing near a surface I spray them with the sanitizer or water spray bottle; usually knocks a few down.

There is a Starbucks item that does the job of scrubbing drains and is completely approved - the brush that cleans the coffee urns. I don't think it's on the normal order guide, but I did find it on the 48 page smallwares document - "Smallwares brush urn modified 40001 - 260-04-0792".

I ordered it today, lol. Wasn't sure how long it was. We have been using a baby bottle brush for the urns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back