Functioning GM $60 mill and over?

Hi guys,
Trying to help my GM team out. They are pretty dysfunctional at this point. They are taking lots of triples and not catching up. Are there any stores at this level that are actually modernized and executing? Seems like the stores in my District are faking it and still not doing great.
There is a similar size store with the same issues.
Any thoughts or advice? Is this just a tough volume to be at because it’s so high and not quite at overnight or extra Leaders?
Thanks in advance!

Seems like the stores in my District are faking it and still not doing great.
What do you mean ? How can they fake it ? In what way are they struggling? Freight wise or efficiency wise? How is the unload ? Are they fallowing the guide? If sort is not done right then the stock won’t be efficient.
How many triples you get ? It is not a tough volume to be at . I’m a triple A 95mil store and it works . But it all starts with unload sort, if you have a perfect store than you will have an efficient stock .
I’m trying to guess in what part is gm struggling in order to be a bit more helpful.

They are struggling across the board. They are getting triples everyday and their SFS numbers are getting murdered because they are not current on truck. I’m on LOA right now and have been for awhile but I suspect their efficiency to be off also. The sort was fine when I was there and they were following the guide.

What part of the sort tends to be off in your experience? Accuracy or speed?

Other stores (I have heard) still have specific TMs to do price change and stuffing that.

They are struggling across the board. They are getting triples everyday and their SFS numbers are getting murdered because they are not current on truck. I’m on LOA right now and have been for awhile but I suspect their efficiency to be off also. The sort was fine when I was there and they were following the guide.

Other stores (I have heard) still have specific TMs to do price change and stuffing that.
Is this your real name?

Our GM keeps up but we only expect them to zone, 1:1, truck. Few audit.
Only a few of them will do SPL, the TL or few presentation tm’s set most of them.
Even fewer tm’s do ANYpricing. I think softlines clears them without ticketing most and GM TL’s do a few, clear a few. Sometimes someone is pulled to spend all day Friday getting to zero through out the whole store by any means necessary. 75% of Labels are scanned and ignored. Markdown process NOT efficient or consistent in my store.

Accuracy and staffing. For a store that’s only a 60 mil triples everyday is hard to believe ( not saying it’s a lie) just that it’s not a store that can handle that many that’s 21 trucks a week and unless you have 17 etls and 40 Tl ( as my sister store ) it’s no way you can handle that many . And then it goes to where your problem is your sort is not done right anymore because you say gm is struggling getting to freight so now unload has no vehicles to unload for them to do a sort , so what they resort to? You guessed it old school using pallets. In order to go back to efficiency you need to go back to being clean meaning your Dtl and od needs to get involve and first ask for a down day to catch up , then of needs to change the dock door close time that will give dc less time to fill trucks . Like I said I’m not saying it’s a lie about the triple because it’s possible to be a 2000.1200 and a 599 and that would be nothing really. But if you are not staffed properly and you are not having an accurate sort then your team will struggle even if you have a double or single .

My GM ETL could be exaggerating but I see the add emails come through so I know they are getting a lot of triples. They definitely didn’t hire enough or account for seasonal turnover. They are for sure using pallets. I’m coming back from LOA to a shit show and want to help as much as possible.
Thank you for your advice!

Its hard to get back on process without help from dsd or od or just getting lucky with outside factors (missing a trailer due to weather cancellations or truck breaking down). My sd has gone to other stores to help them got on process. It really just comes down to getting scheduling correct, getting everything on process, and cracking the whip. Either get on process or get out. We where dealt some leniencies during 4th quarter with pricing, plano, and overnights but those are probably going away. Stick to using the information given and set goals. If a pets dbo only has 3 hours of work in a day and a 5 hour shift make sure they are getting in done in 3 hours and helping in areas behind. Just a team lead of a 50 mill store but weve been on process for a while and have had some setbacks but mostly gone pretty smooth.

It may just be a holiday issue and they will clean up over the next two weeks. We had some struggles this month due to understaffing seasonals but the core group can clean up the mess now that the holiday has passed.

Hi guys,
Trying to help my GM team out. They are pretty dysfunctional at this point. They are taking lots of triples and not catching up. Are there any stores at this level that are actually modernized and executing? Seems like the stores in my District are faking it and still not doing great.
There is a similar size store with the same issues.
Any thoughts or advice? Is this just a tough volume to be at because it’s so high and not quite at overnight or extra Leaders?
Thanks in advance!
62 Million here as an ETL GM. We are modernized and have DBOs complete all daily tasks except for the occasional help from the TLs with workload. Biggest tip and it sounds super simple but it’s simply about staffing, proper scheduling and accountability

Just like @allnew2 I’m in a high volume store and have been my entire career. Triples is a normal way of life. SFS shouldn’t be getting murdered due to backed up trucks if you’re acknowledging the trucks you’re actually unloading. However, that can be a combination of OFOs, poor auditing, left over freight, and other factors.

In my experience as an ETL Inbound that communicates with a lot of stores it’s usually the way scheduling is handled. If your sort is good and you’re still struggling scheduling is most likely the drawback.

I’ve seen stores drowning and when I ask to see their grids it’s pretty obvious to a trained eye why. I can go into this further but that’s my quick response to this. I would look at scheduling and staffing to access.

Just like @allnew2 I’m in a high volume store and have been my entire career. Triples is a normal way of life. SFS shouldn’t be getting murdered due to backed up trucks if you’re acknowledging the trucks you’re actually unloading. However, that can be a combination of OFOs, poor auditing, left over freight, and other factors.

In my experience as an ETL Inbound that communicates with a lot of stores it’s usually the way scheduling is handled. If your sort is good and you’re still struggling scheduling is most likely the drawback.

I’ve seen stores drowning and when I ask to see their grids it’s pretty obvious to a trained eye why. I can go into this further but that’s my quick response to this. I would look at scheduling and staffing to access.

SFS is getting murdered since they can't find things in probably the piles of freight sitting around. When the truck process is broken, SFS/OPU is broken as well.

SFS is getting murdered since they can't find things in probably the piles of freight sitting around. When the truck process is broken, SFS/OPU is broken as well.
I was a team leader for flexible fulfillment I’m aware. I’m saying it’s not that they’re behind trucks that’s causing the issue since inventory is updated based on the trucks acknowledged. It’s most likely as I said audits, left over freight, backroom not being updated, etc. Expected the team to look through everything in the back isn’t happening.

The right term would probably be they’re behind on push.

Last edited:

How do you approach the schedule ? What things have you done that work well for your store ?

How do you approach the schedule ? What things have you done that work well for your store ?

I posted in another thread before I’ll paste some here.

Doubles:

25 pushers/Unloaders
2-3 A&A breakdown
7-8 Backroom

Triples:

35 pushers/unloaders
2-3 A&A breakdown
7-8 Backroom

I also reserve hours for two of my elite team members to come in during the day (7am) to help if we happen to leave any Backstock. Also they help with projects like space management and updating aisles.

100 hours per trailer
343 hours for Backroom TMs (7 every night)

We’re responsible for pulling all OFO batches except specialty and all backstock except Tech.

One closing GM team member sets the line so we’re ready to go when we come in.

Every store is different but I’ve found this method works in high volume stores. I’ve seen some small stores adapt it and use the same method but instead of everyone being under Inbound they’re under GM etc.

Once scheduling is good it’s down to performance and keeping an eye on attendance.

I try to give most of my team members set schedules as much as possible. That way they’re able to plan their life and it gives them less excuses for calling out. They know I’ll tell them “you know what days you work, so I expect you to plan your life out accordingly”. Especially my Backroom TMs. They’re on a rotation.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that I do trick the system in one way. I own Reverse Logistics and that area gets a bit more hours than I need so I sometimes schedule my dayside Backroom guys under there with a shift label “BR”. We all know what they’re there for.

Last edited:
Back