MODERATED General Politics Thread II

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
Perhaps I should have quoted, but the fact that you outright say you lack sympathy for others, in my opinion, is morally reprehensible.
Yeah -- it would be morally reprehensible, if it didn't cost us anything, and I mean, a penny at all -- and we were well suited to take on 240,000 people a month. Problem is, it does cost us a TON of $$$$$, it stretches thin community resources for the State of California, New York, and Texas, and it's a additional burden on the actual tax payers, like you, and me.

Not only that --- but we live in a country, where we cannot even take care of our own citizens. We have a drug epidemic that created a homeless epidemic, we have an affordable housing problem, and... we have a whopping 40-Million households in this country who cannot even afford to buy groceries without the Food Stamp Program. We are going to lose social security, and the country is drowning in debt. And these are just some of the huge problems we are facing. But... what do we do? Unlike most households who would file for bankruptcy, and cut back. We decide to be a humanitarian wonderland and just LOAD UP & GORGE on even more Debt and Obligations. This is the problem I have. We are talking about taking on Non-Citizens and providing them benefits they did not earn -- and cheated their way in. Do I feel any sympathy for most of these individuals, No. The stone cold truth is --- their governments are in shambles from their own irresponsible & complete lack of control spending.

can't touch this

💯💯💯💯
As it happens I had the pleasure of finally acquiring a gat of my own for the first time the other day, for zero dollars. No it does not have the serial number filed off lol/lmao. It's a Taurus .38. I was bummed out to discover that holding it while it was loaded didn't make me feel invincible like in vidyagames. I have it chained up in my closet so it doesn't try to sneak out the window while I'm at work and show up at the elementary school down the street. Gotta keep your eye on em folks, these heaters have a mind of their own sometimes 👌

Being serious though, it's mental health. Mental illness is what compels these shooters to pick the gun up and commit atrocities with it to begin with, so we should be talking about that a hell of a lot more. The libs tell me that Reagan fucked over Americans with mental health issues, but they haven't told me why they haven't used any of their political muscle and massive heaps of billionaire bux to reverse the damage in the 30 years that it's now been since he left office 🤔🤔🤔🤔

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Mental health is responsible for people going out & killing others but - as Beau pointed out - it's the irresponsibility of others that make it easy for them to have access to guns.
In the majority of school shootings, kids got guns from home or a relative or a friend's house.
Andrew Golden (11) & Mitchell Johnson (13) used weapons stolen from Golden's grandfather's gun cache.
Adam Lanza got the keys to their gun cabinet from his mom.
Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold were both 18 & could buy weapons; they amassed an arsenal apparently unnoticed by their parents.
There are a number of kids who have hunting backgrounds in their family; how many of them are ticking time bombs?
There's also a disturbing trend among adults who, lacking basic coping skills, solve problems by blowing away the people they deem responsible for their problems.
With all these occurrences, why not reduce access to such fire power until our country as a whole gets this mental health issue under control? Then restore them? Legislation is NEVER permanent.
If the choice was to LOSE gun rights unless real comprehensive mental health reforms were made, maybe policy-makers could actually get something done without worrying about facing a primary challenge from an NRA-backed candidate.
But it won't happen as long as people are more concerned about their rights to carry a weapon than schools full of dead children.

Last edited:

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
When Reagan shut down the snake pits that were the large asylums the idea was that they were supposed to be replaced with neighborhood clinics where people could get mental health assistance and support.
The amount of money set aside for those clinics was nothing close to what was needed to take care of the number of people put out on the streets and the ones that were funded ran into NIMBY issues right off the bat.
Way too many people didn't want a neighborhood clinic in their neighborhood.
This put the clinics in areas that were often inaccessible and they were always underfunded.

Right now the US jail system is provided the largest amount of mental health treatment in the US and that is fucking awful.
Attempts to fix the problem have run into constant roadblocks.
For example, one of the most important things for someone with mental health problems would be to have access to health care so they can get diagnoses and treatment.
Our last president tried to make that possible.
But 45 hates everything the black guy did so that has to go.

President Bush actually started a program that made sense.
If you went to college and got a degree in human services...
Then went to work for a non-profit or state agency for ten years, where you would get paid pennies on the dollar compared to what you would make in the private sector for the same work, caring for people with mental illness, helping the children of parents with dementia, being a guardian to children with disabilities, etc...
And kept up the payment on your student loans during that time...
The US government would take care of the balance.

Of course, now Cruella DeVos has decided that her relatives need more of that sweet student loan interest so they have denied 99% of the people who are in the program.
So it doesn't matter if a Republican set it up, the program has to go.

Antennae

BROPU
If you cannot defend yourself with a pistol, shotgun, and/or bolt-action rifle, you probably should not own any guns at all. There is no need for shit like AR-15s.

Lol if you think owning AR-15s will save your sorry out of shape ass from the drones.

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
I was listening to a online video module about underwriting and appraisal analysis today, for my job. In particular it discussed "declining markets" and homes that are very difficult to get appropriate & usable appraisals. Anyway... in the middle of one of session, there was a interesting footnote. Apparently the city of Detroit, didn't incorporate itself with "Highland Park" even though, it's basically apart of Detroit and the County Lines.

But.... if they did, the crime statistics for the entire city, would almost triple or double, and from a Google Search -- apparently it's one of the big reasons, it hasn't been done. Certainly a interesting tidbit.

Also -- I'm still buried under a crap ton of applications, and have been working all weekend. What a fun life I lead --- :(

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
If you cannot defend yourself with a pistol, shotgun, and/or bolt-action rifle, you probably should not own any guns at all. There is no need for shit like AR-15s.

Lol if you think owning AR-15s will save your sorry out of shape ass from the drones.
Glad to hear you are a expert on firearms. Maybe you should draft the "miracle" legislation.

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
Of course, now Cruella DeVos has decided that her relatives need more of that sweet student loan interest so they have denied 99% of the people who are in the program.
So it doesn't matter if a Republican set it up, the program has to go.
Since 2009, under the Obama Administration, the vast majority of student loans for Undergraduate Degrees have been insured, issued, and funded by the Federal Government. Supposedly, under the Guise that the Federal Government could do a better job in a lending operation and reduce costs considerably. Instead "underwriting" was basically eliminated altogether, and insane droves of loans have been passed out to people who simply have no ability to repay their loans, for degrees that a large number of academics would even jokingly laugh are almost worthless.

Who is the holder of these loans? That would be me & you @commiecorvus, the United States Taxpayers. Unfortunately, our government sucks at accounting, and considers these loans to be "HIGHLY VALUABLE" assets, when they should be considered nothing more than Signature Loans without Collateral. A huge number will never be repaid. And... the interest, is booked as profits in the US Treasury, not DeVos Friends. However, those profits do not even come close to providing the excess interest needed to cover defaults.

But remember, "No One Can Do What Countrywide Can! Call Today, Before..." sorry, wrong commercial. It's "Investing in a Brighter Tomorrow".

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
The company that get paid to collect the loans is connected to the Devos Family,

Company with DeVos ties awarded Education Dept debt-collection contract: report - https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/368930-company-with-devos-ties-awarded-education-dept-debt-collection

There are many countries that pay the college or skills training costs for their people because they know it will make their country a better to be.
It would be easy for the US to do this.
Bernie's plan would work and wouldn't leave another generation in debt.
We managed to do this for the GIs after WW II, we can do it now.l

Antennae

BROPU
No I will let the buzzed thoughts flow.

Glad to hear you are a expert on firearms. Maybe you should draft the "miracle" legislation.
I see the sarcasm font, but no, fuck off.

I was once an expert on firearms and used them on people who did not deserve it. I have realized I will never atone for my role in American imperialism because of these actions. I personally do not own and never will own firearms because I do not trust my mental health to properly own them.

Outside of upheaval of the current framework of this country, there is no such thing as legislation to make gun ownership how I feel it should be.

But continue to fuck your guns if that makes you feel safe at night tia.

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
The company that get paid to collect the loans is connected to the Devos Family
The company is a "default servicer" that handles accounts that are severely delinquent and fall into the 180-Day Bucket or worse. Yes, they do receive a fee on accounts they are servicing (more like, sending nasty letters & phone calls) --- but accounts that become current "rehabilitated" get transferred to a Master Servicing Company after two or three successful payments (think Nelnet or Sallie Mae). This probably isn't a detail that reporters bothered to research, or mention, but it's important to bring up. The DeVos family connection -- isn't really profiting on the backs of people paying their loans, they are profiting on running a glorified telemarketing operation, and credit reporting company.

Is that a little bit shady? I have to admit, it's not entirely kosher that connection of hers was awarded the contract. However, I don't particularly have a problem with it - since the accounts are not current.

There are many countries that pay the college or skills training costs for their people because they know it will make their country a better to be.
It would be easy for the US to do this.
Bernie's plan would work and wouldn't leave another generation in debt.
We managed to do this for the GIs after WW II, we can do it now.l
Biggest problem is we now have over a Trillion Dollars in mostly sub-par and questionable quality debt or paper, that we can't afford to forgive, and desperately need to create some sort of value on. Once you dig a hole as deep as ours, it's really hard to plug it.

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
Outside of upheaval of the current framework of this country, there is no such thing as legislation to make gun ownership how I feel it should be.
Oh I see, the answer is - disarm everybody, right? right?

I was once an expert on firearms and used them on people who did not deserve it. I have realized I will never atone for my role in American imperialism because of these actions.
If you were the expert you claim - you would also realize that 1 in 5 guns sold today is the AR-15, and it's one of the most popular selling guns in the country. You would also know - that because, it's one of the most common guns in home cabinets, that it also -- just so happens -- to be oh, so, common in "shootings".

I personally do not own and never will own firearms because I do not trust my mental health to properly own them.
Thing is -- no one is forcing you, or saying you have to buy one. It's your choice.

REDcardJJ

Service and Engagement TL
i had never thought about the fact that the media reporting endlessly about how a recession is looming could shake consumer confidence and then actually be the cause of the recession itself.

can't touch this

💯💯💯💯
As usual the Left is predictably hapless when it comes to understanding how conservatives think and from what perspective they form their stances. The reasons that conservatives don't buy the "schools full of dead children" meme isn't because they lack empathy and not because they don't think kids being shot is horrifying, but because they know that nothing is ever said about the American children who are killed in hit-and-run accidents caused by illegals, for example. Consider the context of cases like Travyon Martin and Michael Brown, we already know from crime statistics that the majority of black men who die by gun violence in the aggregate do so at the hands of other black men, not whites (police or not). This is what comes to mind and causes the conservative to roll their eyes in a huge circle when gun grabbers snark about them causing senseless death. It's because they can see that the caring is highly selective and politically motivated on its face, and is often done in such a way that it stirs up needless racial animosity on top of all that.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
As someone on the Left who not only supports people's right to own guns but also understands how statistics work, I'd like to point out that conservatives tend to fall back on aggregates only when their ox is the one getting gored.
They don't give a shit about the economic or social circumstances that lead to those young black men getting killed (the drug wars, crushing poverty poverty, ghetto capitalism, class warfare etc.) and have absolutely no interest in fixing any of it.
But when it is pointed out that a larger percentage per capita of black men are policed and shot (especially unarmed) then out come the statistics.

The number of people killed by hit-and-run illegals doesn't even chart as compared to the number killed by gunsters.

'Taking the guns' is not the solution most intelligent people are suggesting.
Not selling them to disturbed idiots would be a good start.
Lets work that out first.

HardlinesFour

Super Ninja & Site Mod.
Staff member
I actually am somewhat concerned about a recession. Truly a lot of things look very frothy, and I notice & see a lot of things that are clearly out of line. Prime Example -- Me & My Husband sold our home out in Los Angeles for $916,000 in late 2017, after four buyers got into a bidding war, from our original listing price $877,000. After we sold, the Zillow estimate inflated to a little over $942,000, but, in the months since than has actually dropped by almost $100,000. Not only that -- but it doesn't look like the market has finished "cooling down", and the Zillow Estimate expects prices to actually fall another 4% over the next year.

And while a lot of people could just say -- that is a regional trend, and is only affecting Los Angeles. I can tell you now, real estate here in New York is not really doing much better. One of the clients I took a Loan Application for just earlier this week - is purchasing a condo for $1,425,000 -- but the owner purchased it in 2016 for $1,550,000, with all cash -- and that was the value at the time.

And of course, I'm talking only about housing, but there's a lot of other very insane things going on. Just look at how Equities are trading against P/E ratios, and you have to wonder... "Who on earth is buying this stuff?"

can't touch this

💯💯💯💯
(housing market stuff)
my grandma grew up in Anaheim and bought a gazillion acres there in the 50s back when it was being given away for nickels. Her and my grandpa sat on it until the 90s and flipped it for a few hundred gazillion nickels. Now that's how we get this fuckin dough...too bad these days Gruesome Newsom is taxing a big chunk of it to pay for his immunotherapy treatments