1. The Break Room is NOT an official service of Target Corp.
    This is a site run by regular people who are off the clock.
    We do not perform any HR related services, or affect any internal information regarding Target.
    Dismiss Notice

MODERATED General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Clock Chatter' started by HardlinesFour, Nov 8, 2016.

1. TTGOz

TTGOz Team Trainer

Shit forgot to mention the population of the Ku Klux Klan was more than likely a majority Christian.

2. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Team Leader

To many of those people "Make America Great Again" meant "remember when there weren't so many minorities around?" "Remember when those people knew their place?"

3. TTGOz

TTGOz Team Trainer

I had to ask my dad how someone could openly be OKAY with uninsuring 13 million people with the planned ACA cuts coming along with The Republican Tax Bill.

I just feel so bad... fucking hell. All I know; is I'm next in line.

4. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Team Leader

Not to mention taxes for the middle class are going to be going up. State income tax deductions are gone, purchase of work necessary supplies as a write-off are gone, many charity donation write-offs are gone. All of this so the wealthiest .1% of American individuals and the largest corporations can get massive tax cuts.

5. TTGOz

TTGOz Team Trainer

I know, it's slightly horrible.

6. canttouchthis777

canttouchthis777 The Notorious O.T.

"White Nationalists" are a few grand in number at the very most and have at or around zero political influence, especially if you count the ones who can't vote because they're serving life sentences in prison (Alice Baker, etc.) I always see this term thrown around as a catch all for Flyoverians (see also: "trailer trash", "meth heads", "rednecks", etc.) Immigration restriction is not inherently or automatically racist, and claiming so is just lazy partisan equivocation.

"Dude I know this Trump supporter who beats his wife and smokes meth," well, interestingly enough I would characterize all the Trump supporters I know in real life as relatively normal and stable people with different opinions than mine. One of them is an LOD at Target...does the company know he has a KKK robe hanging up in his closet?!

The neo-Nazis absolutely did come crawling out of their holes during and after Trump's campaign, but a simple explanation for that is that they are attention-seeking losers who are hungry for any validation they can get. They literally think that negative publicity is a "sign of contradiction." The non-partisan fact is that actual Nazis are extremely unpopular across the political spectrum and whenever they get in the spotlight, they attract even more negative attention, see the car-ramming attack in C-ville for example. Normal people of all political stripes saw that and thought "Wow, what the fuck is wrong with these people" not "Wow, what a great political movement, how can I get involved?"

7. canttouchthis777

I forgot to mention that Trump is very skilled at keeping himself in the center of the media spotlight, something he's been doing for years, which is why he bombasts about Mexican rapists and other inflammatory stuff that he knew would get him guaranteed news headlines (free publicity). I would think that the news orgs would be catching on to this by now but they apparently still don't get that they're being manipulated by a reality TV star.

If the pundits and journalists were smart they would've just dismissed his comments for what they were (empty posturing) but they'd rather hyperventilate about phantom Nazis behind every blade of grass lmao

8. commiecorvus

commiecorvus Former Signing Ninja Moderator

While the number of white nationalists specifically may be small, they have learned how to make a serious splash across the net and have gained allies in certain groups.
    The Alt-right, shitposters on 4-chan, the Red Pill groups, MRAs, Bretbart and company, the KKK, Sovereign Citizens, the Asshole Atheists, and GamerGate Guys, are all part of that group.
    And as a gay friend of mine put it, "If you don't want to be called one of those dicks why are you sucking them?"

45 either knew, or more likely, was fed the right frogwhistle words to keep those guys (and face it most of those people are guys) happy and ready to roll over to have their bellies scratched.
    Even when Heather Heyer was murdered by that little waste of skin Nazi wannabe, 45 still wouldn't really condemn them.
    He didn't want to alienate the fuckheads.
    As a Jew this sickens me on a level that is hard to describe.
    I know people with numbers tattooed on their arms.
    It isn't that hard to imagine that shit happening again.

redeye58 likes this.
  9. commiecorvus

10. oath2order

oath2order Sexy Bond Girl

y'know

I think it's time.

Let the South secede.

11. Militantagnostic

Militantagnostic Just another brick in the wall...

The South will rise, out of it's Rascal scooter, again!

12. Militantagnostic

13. TTGOz

TTGOz Team Trainer

yup, he wasn't a horrible senator, either, but oh well. If he resigns, I fully expect anyone else accused to resign lol

14. commiecorvus

Yeah, that'll happen.

15. TTGOz

TTGOz Team Trainer

exactly lol it's messed up. I hate it.

16. redeye58

redeye58 Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!

And there's still Roy Moore, poster child of putting party before country.

17. canttouchthis777

Trolls...on MY internet? It's more likely than you think!

I don't get why some people talk about Breitbart as though it's a spooky shadow agency with a black budget. More accurately it's the right-wing version of Slate or Salon, a.k.a. a gossip mag where 20-somethings share their dumb opinions about current events.

You're pretending as though "45" tweeted out "Cool Challenger, James. Want to bring it to the White House?"

If he did condemn them then he's totally lying for PR purposes and you definitely wouldn't take it at face value anyway, so what does it really matter?

The last sentence is a huge baseless guess. Afraid of alienating a group of people who are not even a rounding error in the census statistics? come on lmao

Jews aren't a single monotypic organism, are they?

I have a guy in my Steam friends list from Israel who said that during Trump's campaign, his entire Orthodox extended family in the US was all in on it, attending some of his campaign rallies, a party on election night, and pretty much everyone voted for him enthusiastically. So either a whole family is planning suicide-by-Trump or else it's possible that you're equivocating really really hard because you just plain don't like the guy. Which is fine, I'm far from his biggest fan either, but by the same token I get annoyed by this sort of excessive bias.

Jewish son-in-law, Jewish speechwriter (Stephen Miller) and Jewish lawyer (Michael Cohen). Should they be worried?

Yeah, it actually is. As is plainly self-evident, Nazism is very unpopular in America and unlike Europe we have no longstanding traditions of bloodthirsty tyrants seizing power and committing mass murder. Americans as a rule don't like tyrants or autocrats in general and aren't inclined to vote for them. If the threat of "another Hitler" was anywhere near as big as you're claiming then David Duke would've been elected last year instead, but oops it turns out he has a hell of a time getting elected dog catcher in Louisiana. Running on a platform of bona fide explicit racism aka white nationalism in the US is the absolute quickest way to keep your share of public support in the lower single digits forever.

18. canttouchthis777

what's funny about the white nationalist thing is that those types are far more likely to condemn Trump as a "tool of the Jews" or some shit than they are to shill for him. I heard that a lot of them were actually flipping the fuck out because his inauguration speech didn't open with "My fellow Americans, today I am issuing an executive order to repeal the 19th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 1964." The reaction was something like "Haw haw, that Jewish puppet was fooling us all along, told ya we should've heiled Hitler instead"

my opinion of Trump actually went up a little bit after that and I'm sure a lot of other people too

19. commiecorvus

Oh, I didn't say 45 was a Nazi, I said he was a fascist.
    Fascism isn't the same thing though they do play well together.

I don't think Breitbart is some kind of shadow agency.
    I know they managed to make Nazis and scumbags mainstream, Salon and Slate has never had that kind of damaging influence on America.
    Here's How Breitbart And Milo Smuggled Nazi and White Nationalist Ideas Into The Mainstream - https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism?utm_term=.xwLdWBdpB7#.fczR3pRMp0

45 blamed both sides in Charlottesville and when he got called on that doubled down, even going as far as to say there were very fine people on both sides.
    How hard is it to say Nazis are useless wastes of skin?
    That anyone who drives a car into a crowd or marches with a torch chanting blood and soil deserves to be excised from society permanently?
    My grandfather certainly understood the concept during WW II.
    What the fuck is wrong with our president?

As to Jews, you are right.
    A number of my wife's family are Orthodox and supported, keep that word in mind, Trump.
    They are hard core Republicans and really believed that Ivanka and Jared (and of course, the grand kids) would have a moderating effect on 45.
    They voted for him for a lot of different reasons not one of which was they are more than a bit racist and misogynistic (and I say that with love).
    45 loves him some Jews when they can do something for him.
    They know all about money don't you know?
    But when you surround yourself with anti-Semites (Sebastian Gorka - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Gorka) a it's easy to see why people might think you are a bit of one yourself.

My other grandfather was a Wobblie (union activist) and he saw a lot of shit.
    In those days they would send the military and private armies up against people who were just trying to get far wages and decent working conditions (oh yeah, and not have their kids have to work).
    People were murdered, women and children.
    We tend to take that stuff for granted now but people had to fight for that.
    The way things are going now, we might be going right back to that.
    My mom marched in the civil rights movement.
    People died in that too.
    Now there are decisions in the Supreme Court about if stores will have the right to not serve certain people something I thought was settles 40 years ago at the lunch counters.

Keep your eyes open.
    This will get worse before it gets better.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    redeye58 likes this.
  20. Militantagnostic

A lot of conservative and Orthodox Jews went Trump because of his rhetoric on Israel. In 2012, a lot of the Boca crowd voted against Obama over this issue. With the announcement of the moving of the embassy he is literally cementing their support. He's trying to get as many things done as he can this month: Tax reform, gut out the Affordable Care Act mandates, and now the Jerusalem embassy as a way to say "Look how much I got done in a year, if you flip the Congress next year you're gonna halt all the progress we've made!"

canttouchthis777 likes this.