General question with a POG rant! šŸ˜”

A

AnnoyedPE

Please! Does anyone have these problems? Ok, my store completely got rid of the presentation team, but kept me (my preference too because its what I like doing), but just me. I do basically ALL actual POGs (revisions are supposed to be done by the now GM experts in those areas...in which i normally have to do catch up for them) & I'm put basically "in charge" to run transitions...with no actual authority or even information because I'm not given time to check to see if there's even set notes or early set notes & no one ever relays them until the transition is done or basically done & then I'm hit with why isn't this or why isn't that...like really? Also, due to the state & company upping wages, I'm recieving basically base pay...they wonder why I don't care anymore. Hell, not asking much, but I should be getting more than someone just hired (I've been there for YEARS) & I'm in a "speciality" dept) with more responsibilities. Even a damn quarter would show appreciation. They don't get that it's not about the actual amount, but the appreciation of it. Also my former POG TL & technically still directly over me (from what I'm told) is now a GM TL over a certain part of the store & basically I guess forgets about me. Labels strips & POGs & just in general whatever the hell I'm supposed to do is almost a surprise every day i go to work. Label strips are all over the place. Nothing is organized. Nothing is actually ready to go. Poor damn regular TMs trying to do their best with all this BS changes are lost as hell because they can't ever find any paperwork, label strips, they don't know how to check the MyDevices & of course no one seems to tell, train or explain anything until the end of the week when they literally get their job threatened because things aren't don't & then the dumbass Store Director just ties EVERYTHING in the system so that we can show green...whenever we get a transfer from another store, they never last more than 6 months & then either transfer out or quit saying "damn I thought my old store was bad" (NO exaggeration) & our turn around right now...damn. The good ones (in every dept) & some have been there YEARS are leaving left & right & all the new hires, most don't last long.

Please! Does anyone have these problems? Ok, my store completely got rid of the presentation team, but kept me (my preference too because its what I like doing), but just me. I do basically ALL actual POGs (revisions are supposed to be done by the now GM experts in those areas...in which i normally have to do catch up for them) & I'm put basically "in charge" to run transitions...with no actual authority or even information because I'm not given time to check to see if there's even set notes or early set notes & no one ever relays them until the transition is done or basically done & then I'm hit with why isn't this or why isn't that...like really? Also, due to the state & company upping wages, I'm recieving basically base pay...they wonder why I don't care anymore. Hell, not asking much, but I should be getting more than someone just hired (I've been there for YEARS) & I'm in a "speciality" dept) with more responsibilities. Even a damn quarter would show appreciation. They don't get that it's not about the actual amount, but the appreciation of it. Also my former POG TL & technically still directly over me (from what I'm told) is now a GM TL over a certain part of the store & basically I guess forgets about me. Labels strips & POGs & just in general whatever the hell I'm supposed to do is almost a surprise every day i go to work. Label strips are all over the place. Nothing is organized. Nothing is actually ready to go. Poor damn regular TMs trying to do their best with all this BS changes are lost as hell because they can't ever find any paperwork, label strips, they don't know how to check the MyDevices & of course no one seems to tell, train or explain anything until the end of the week when they literally get their job threatened because things aren't don't & then the dumbass Store Director just ties EVERYTHING in the system so that we can show green...whenever we get a transfer from another store, they never last more than 6 months & then either transfer out or quit saying "damn I thought my old store was bad" (NO exaggeration) & our turn around right now...damn. The good ones (in every dept) & some have been there YEARS are leaving left & right & all the new hires, most don't last long.

We have 2 presentation experts at all times, 3-4 if needed for larger transitions. Former Plano TL although GM now, still preps the workload for the week or at least tries to.. Can't say I feel your pain. Sorry OP, your store is not well managed.

NO Pog team ? ONE Person ! I donā€™t get this ! Weā€™ve had weeks with hundreds of hours of work, how does one person get it done ? your leadership is delusional.
We have 5 pog team members that complete all rev and pogs and some end caps when DBOā€™s really struggle. TWT is 100% every week and actually done.
i canā€™t imagine the tangled web and ripple effects of tying without setting ! You poor INF scores, wasted time to pull and backstock stuff you canā€™t push etc.

i actually think modernization works - I love the same person working in one area exclusively. I love that they do so much- keeping things interesting and knowing their stuff, pricing, SPL, even some revisions but working a transition is NOT guest friendly - at all !

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you're getting taken advantage of and taken for granted...

Same situation at my store. I am the former POGTL now GMTL with only 1 pog expert. For larger transitions the leader of the area resetting is involved and is ultimately responsible for completion, set accuracy, follow up, ect. With DBO's only getting 4-5hr shifts we just max out who we can to support the transitions and borrow from SFS when needed. Setting POGs is not rocket science. It is a requirement for GM experts on the job description. I am available as a resource if anyone has questions. The problem at your store is lack of leadership that is actually setting expectations and holding the TLs of the areas accountable to ensure every DBO is trained to complete this workload, the the TL is involved and commited to the success of their assigned area.

When you quit or transfer the store will be forced to do this. Sadly you are being taken for granted. The last hold out standing... how long before you decide that the sky is the limit and to get OUT?

Damn, if I didn't know any better, I'd think I typed this up. I was in a very similar situation last year and am heading into this exact situation again soon as my TL is leaving. But I have new perspectives this year and will not do any extra work that I am not directly responsible for setting. Unless they decide to compensate me for it.

Going forward I plan on printing up the presentation workload in Set It on WorkBench and only organizing my own workload. Any revisions or salesplans are not my problem.

A couple of things I remind myself of often:
- Not my circus, not my monkeys
- Just because I can, doesn't mean I should

This last one is harder for me as I am a planner/organizer. It's so easy for me to just sort through the label strips and get them organized for everyone. Makes their job easier and it feels like no big deal to me to do it. BUT. It's an extra step that's not supposed to be on me. I shouldn't be the sole person that carries so much of the weight for keeping pog processes running smoothly. I am not Atlas and the weight of the world (or in this case my store) is too much to carry alone and I will not suffer myself for it. My life is bigger than Target and yours is too; it's important to remember that!

A couple of things I remind myself of often:
- Not my circus, not my monkeys
- Just because I can, doesn't mean I should
This. So much this. Areas that are no longer my responsibility, areas where once upon a time I would have zoned at least a bit, or even adjusted a shelf or changed capacities, etc. - nope, I no longer do that. It's that DOB's responsibility now and I decided I wasn't picking up others' slack anymore. (If there's something potentially dangerous, like a side cap about to fall off, I'll fix that, of course.) I get a lot of credit for being on top of things in my DBO area because I actually am on top of things. But other DBOs have to pull their weight.
As to the OP's original gripe, I get it, but I agree with others that your store is poorly managed and you're letting others take advantage of you. Price change at my store is still often handled by a former PC TM, but most POGs are now set by DBOs with assistance from others because corporate wants it all done in a very short time frame. With a retirement and a couple others going elsewhere, we have only one former POG TM left in the store now, and she assisted some for their first major reset, but mostly now does just her area.

Ian came thru many stores in our region in January around toy set time and told SDā€™s to Eliminate the ā€œpog teamā€. The dbos should be highly involved in the transition, almost running it. And other key pog setters can be pulled to help if itā€™s big enough.

So now myself and the signing person have our own areas. We were pulled for lawn and garden. It was a disaster. And no ones touching our freight in our absence. So next week we will be playing catch up. And the seasonal dbo will be finishing what we didnā€™t get done all by himself. There is stuff to build, sign, and install still.

We are down to One [former] POG tm.

TL's are now picking up the slack if a DBO is struggling with pricing, setting, pushing, etc.

Honestly, I think most DBOs are just pushing freight at this point. Some have set EndCaps, but I think the majority are working the truck.

We are down to One [former] POG tm.

TL's are now picking up the slack if a DBO is struggling with pricing, setting, pushing, etc.

Honestly, I think most DBOs are just pushing freight at this point. Some have set EndCaps, but I think the majority are working the truck.

That's what's happening here too. DBOs just work freight and can't even finish that most days. TLs are are being pushed to only delegate and not pitch in where help is needed. But ETLs come out and help when they feel like it.

Back