General Rule of thumb about buying alcohol

thatguyattarget

SFS/OPU Master
The handbook is really unclear about this.. it says you can buy stuff when you're off-duty, but it seems like alcohol is a grey area. Let's say you haven't started your shift and you come in early to buy alcohol and then put it in your car, is this okay? You buy it during your lunch, is this okay? You buy when on your break, is this okay? You buy it when you're off (finished your shift), is this okay? And of course, I'm assuming buying it when you're not working that day is totally okay?

The handbook is really unclear about this.. it says you can buy stuff when you're off-duty, but it seems like alcohol is a grey area. Let's say you haven't started your shift and you come in early to buy alcohol and then put it in your car, is this okay? You buy it during your lunch, is this okay? You buy when on your break, is this okay? You buy it when you're off (finished your shift), is this okay? And of course, I'm assuming buying it when you're not working that day is totally okay?

I'd say to avoid buying while on the clock or on lunch break. Before and after your shift, you should be fine. Some stores may allow you to purchase at lunch, but to be safe, I'd just wait before and after shifts.

Buying it before or after your shift is finr, however you need to take it out of the store. Don't ever leave it in a locker.

Buying it on a 15 minute break is a no, as you're technically still on the clock.

Buying it on lunch is the only real grey area, but I would avoid it to be safe.

And yes, if you're not on the schedule for that day buy whatever you'd like.

Last edited:
Hi,
I very recently got fired because of alcohol related purchases.

I purchased alcohol while on lunch for me and another off the clock TM to drink the next day. Problem was she was only 20, and although I purchased the alcohol, she left with it, and a certain other person told my ETL-AP and he pulled video, it went all the way to HRBP and I got fired.

Key info: although what I did was illegal and that is not quite the circumstances you were asking about, please note: during the a seek to understand convo with the other girl involved, my ETL-AP told her that we were not even allowed to buy alcohol while at work (whether on break or not) and hold it there.

Do NOT risk your job over some cheap ass box wine or shitty beer.

I lost my job because of this kind of shit. If you want to buy it after your shift or on a day you don't work, go ahead. Don't hold it with you at work though.

If you wanna see the shit process I went through, here it is. 99.5% Chance I'm Fired. | The Break Room

I'd say just avoid purchasing any kind of alcohol while within your shift, even if you're on your meal. Just wait until after you've clocked out for the day, or come in a bit early to purchase it before your shift.

To be on the safe side I would recommend buying it only after your shift is over. I think there's a gray area of buying it before your shift (it goes to your car, what if someone accesses your car and gets it out, what if you go to your car on lunch or break, etc.)

Thankfully my store doesn't sell alcohol so that's an issue TMs at my store don't have to deal with and the rest of the stores in my area only sell 3.2 alcohol which most people won't even bother buying unless they don't know it's 3.2

It's probably a liability issue to let you buy it during your shift. If you were to come back drunk after lunch and hurt someone, the store would be on the hook for letting you buy it during the middle of your shift.

We were told you can purchase it on your meal, but it has to go directly to your car. No stopping in the bathroom or Starbucks, straight to the car and straight back, and don't be surprised if AP watches you the entire way. I usually just wait until after my shift is over though....easier that way.

WTF? Why not just search our cars when we enter the parking lot to be sure we aren't bringing it from home and indulging on our breaks or lunch?

Last edited:
Never. Nothing good comes from beer.

Oh I get it, because beer isn't a sentient being, and thus can't be held responsible for good or bad things happening.

I have a general question for everyone. Are guests allowed to buy alcohol at Guest Service? I was always told that they couldn't but today, I was told that those rules just changed. Is this just a case of ASANTS?

Speaking of....do y'all know some stores actually DO this? :eek: Not targets, but some retailers???

I bet you stores like Sephora, or really any mall store does this. Too much small merchandise. I can't imagine how this would work at Target though. Half the stuff in my purse....including the purse too...were all bought at Target. Would I have to keep all my receipts constantly?

I bet you stores like Sephora, or really any mall store does this. Too much small merchandise. I can't imagine how this would work at Target though. Half the stuff in my purse....including the purse too...were all bought at Target. Would I have to keep all my receipts constantly?
That's what I'm thinking....what do they do? Tape the receipts around the items? I'd tell them to pound sand!

Before Work - Only allowed if you take the alcohol OFF property. This includes in your car. If you are on the clock and you have alcohol on the property(including parking lot), you can get fired. Blame cart attendants taking swigs while grabbing carts.

On lunch - Very iffy. Because it's not a "clocked out for work", you're still on the schedule. That, and you're still being held to the "alcohol on property" rule. If you take it home and then come back to work, you should be fine. But it's very possible your ETL-HR will challenge it and question you about consuming alcohol while on lunch.

After Work - Perfectly fine. I've heard a few rules about needing to not be in red and khaki when your buying that, but that's a ASANTS thing. I've had some great conversations with guests about trying out new beers. It really depends on how uptight your STL is.

Before Work - Only allowed if you take the alcohol OFF property. This includes in your car. If you are on the clock and you have alcohol on the property(including parking lot), you can get fired. Blame cart attendants taking swigs while grabbing carts.
So, if I happen to have a 6-pack or sealed bottle in my car when I drive to work, they can fire me? Even if I never go to my car during my shift? Sorry, that's bullshit. Good to know though, because I've stopped before work when I've closed before (at a warehouse club) and picked up alcohol & various other items for a party the following day and had it in my vehicle while I was at work. Looks like I'll be putting the cargo cover back in my car so I can cover that up if it happens again ;)

After Work - Perfectly fine. I've heard a few rules about needing to not be in red and khaki when your buying that, but that's a ASANTS thing. I've had some great conversations with guests about trying out new beers. It really depends on how uptight your STL is.
Again, this is bullshit. If I'm off the clock, I should be able to buy whatever the hell I want. I shouldn't have to take a change of clothing if I plan on purchasing alcohol. And after some of the days I've had lately, I'm lucky to make it home before I crack open whatever I've bought after my shift.

Kidding....I never drink & drive.

Oh I get it, because beer isn't a sentient being, and thus can't be held responsible for good or bad things happening.

I have a general question for everyone. Are guests allowed to buy alcohol at Guest Service? I was always told that they couldn't but today, I was told that those rules just changed. Is this just a case of ASANTS?
Guests can only buy alcohol at the main registers. If that changed, I am not aware of it (which is entirely possible).

Back