Archived Getting fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm a new sr tl who is an outside hire. I was LOD, and on my lunch I ran to the store next door to get something, then came back. I was gone less than 5 minutes. However, I was unaware that I would get in trouble for leaving since I was the only key holder in the building the time. At my last job, management did this all the time, so I didn't think anything about it. My stl is partnering with the hrbp to find out the course of action, but I'm having panic attacks waiting on his response. I'm okay with a final warning, but I'm scared of getting fired because I have a family to be concerned about.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar with one of your Sr Tls and what the outcome was.

Thank you

I haven't seen this situation in my years with Target, but we have never had an outside hire as a SrTL. We did have a situation that involved the HRBP, however. The result was a final warning for the SrTL. With luck, your STL is fighting for you to stay, and was able to adequately explain that it was a misunderstanding--a training gap. Good Luck!

I can't tell you how many times my ETLs would pickup food at my stores' parking restaurants. They would either leave the keys with a TL or have them call their cellphone if needed.

I thought that because Sr TLs are hourly it would actually be the STL who's at fault here? SrTLs have to take a lunch, once they do I can't imagine they are under any obligation to stay in the building. Thats why it is the STLs responsibility to ensure coverage for said lunch from someone else who can do LOD.

For reference, ETLs at my store usually stay to cover the SrTLs lunch. On the occasion that it doesn't happen, they've dropped off their key with me and left on multiple occasions.

So I'm a new sr tl who is an outside hire. I was LOD, and on my lunch I ran to the store next door to get something, then came back. I was gone less than 5 minutes. However, I was unaware that I would get in trouble for leaving since I was the only key holder in the building the time. At my last job, management did this all the time, so I didn't think anything about it. My stl is partnering with the hrbp to find out the course of action, but I'm having panic attacks waiting on his response. I'm okay with a final warning, but I'm scared of getting fired because I have a family to be concerned about.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar with one of your Sr Tls and what the outcome was.

Thank you
You should be safe as long as you were off the clock. As others have said, once your off the clock, you can do what you want. I have a feeling that the HRBP is gonna come back and tell your STL that he fucked up and should have had double coverage during that time. Your required to take a lunch.

Yes SrTL 's lunches have to be covered my another SrTL or an ETL/STL. when you are at lunch you are off the clock and you are not supposed to do anything at that time ( you could get written up or fired for that) plus there's this thing called ORIENTATION they should have went over all this with you.

Yes SrTL 's lunches have to be covered my another SrTL or an ETL/STL. when you are at lunch you are off the clock and you are not supposed to do anything at that time ( you could get written up or fired for that) plus there's this thing called ORIENTATION they should have went over all this with you.
I thought that because Sr TLs are hourly it would actually be the STL who's at fault here? SrTLs have to take a lunch, once they do I can't imagine they are under any obligation to stay in the building. Thats why it is the STLs responsibility to ensure coverage for said lunch from someone else who can do LOD.

For reference, ETLs at my store usually stay to cover the SrTLs lunch. On the occasion that it doesn't happen, they've dropped off their key with me and left on multiple occasions.

On a close, there is typically only 1 LOD after 3 or 4 at a smaller store--no way another LOD could cover. If I am needed on my lunch, I do a punch correction. If someone is handing off keys, he could definitely get fired. That said, I know Cali has great labor laws, so things might be different there.

I'm not in California, and I definitely didn't hand off keys. I simply walked next door after letting my gstl know, then let her know the minute I walked back in. And I was definitely off the clock. I had it shoved down my throat that I should be relieved of ALL duty when off the clock, and yet it seems like I'm not. I'm just confused and concerned

Off the clock & leaving the building, is why you were written up. Please learn from it. Don't do it again, unless another key carrier is in the store too.

The thing is, I don't know if I'm written up or if I'm being fired. If I'm written up, that's fine, whatever, because I still have a job to care for my family. And I actually really love this job.

That's a really interesting read, and it's exactly my point. If I'm off the clock, legally they can't force me to stay in the building. And my lunch has been interrupted every single time that I've been an LOD by myself, with no other Sr Tls or Etls in the building. Honestly, I've never complained about that and it doesn't really bother me. I'm also usually too busy to think about taking my 15 minute breaks. Time typically flies and my lunch sneaks up on me. So literally the one time I took 5 minutes and walked next door, I could potentially get fired. And it makes me call into question this policy, because it honesty looks like they will fire someone for doing exactly what they're legally allowed to do.

I can't tell you how many times my ETLs would pickup food at my stores' parking restaurants. They would either leave the keys with a TL or have them call their cellphone if needed.

It's fine for an etl to leave if another key holder is in the building he explained he left without another key holder present.

It's fine for an etl to leave if another key holder is in the building he explained he left without another key holder present.
Yes without another keyholder in the building.

Lol why is target hiring externals for srtl.

Hire internal and this wouldn't happen

Thanks, but I was better than the 3 other internals that did apply. Not to mention, I'm more qualified. As I said previously, management at my other job (also a large retail corporation) did this exact thing all the time, so I didn't think anything of it. Obviously it won't happen again, but you can't just completely disqualify me from the SrTl position because I'm external. Internals may not have done that, but you don't know that they wouldn't make equally bad decisions. Example, an internal newly promoted SrTl who has been with target for 5 years fell for one of those scam calls and a scammer got 4K in gift cards.

External and internal doesn't matter because everyone makes mistakes

Honestly, I think it comes down to your stl dtl etc. If your stl has no issues with you ( other than this ) then you could be ok. They could just give you a lecture and maybe a write up and that would be it. All depends on how much your stl is willing to stick up for you etc.

Your store sounds like trash. This would be a non-issue they'd say leave the key next time and call it a day.

Why am I amazed that Target is this prissy about this type of thing? I don't seem to understand the issue here.

Yes without another keyholder in the building.

That is against best practice. I have seen ETLs leave, go out to lunch all the time but either they or a senior will typically stay back

My store's SRTL closes mondays/fridays. They always are in the store, but if it's against the rules to leave the building OR frowned upon - when working on the clock and forced to answer questions for guests, get 239, etc - that should be strongly frowned upon as well. Especially since most of the time SR TLs in my store are forced to close without a TLOD. I'm not sure if you were closing, mid open or what - but if you had a TLOD in the store and/or GSTL in the store and communicated with them i wouldn't be mad.

I'm not sure if you were closing, mid open or what - but if you had a TLOD in the store and/or GSTL in the store and communicated with them i wouldn't be mad.

I was closing, it was about 6 pm. And I definitely comminicated with my gstl.

Yeah if you communicated with your GSTL or TLOD, and especially if it was for a few minutes. At my store i am 99.9% sure you'd be fine if you were either of my store's SR TLs.

Maybe wtf don't do that, i strongly doubt you would of gotten written up/fired.

Geez. If they fire you for that they're truly kidding themselves. Good luck, i hope everything goes ok!
200w.webp

I am curious how this is supposed to be handled officially, since Target has the conflicting directives of "there must always be a keyholder LOD on the premises while the store is open" and "hourly TLs must clock out for a 30 minute unpaid meal." So they're seemingly required to be in the building and be responsible while also not being paid for it.

I don't close, but we do have a SrTL run into this on an opening LOD shift once a week. He will be the only keyholder in the building and have to fulfill LOD responsibilities even while on lunch.

At my grocery store, most of the managers are hourly and have the same requirement when they are the only keyholder in the building (only occurs during a closing shift). But the company gets around this by just not giving the closing manager a lunch break (thanks to extremely lax labor laws in this state). They can sit down and eat, but they are still on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back