Archived Giftcard prompt, cashier offers discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed a cashier asking guests if they want the $5.00 gift card or do they want $5.00 taken off their bill right away.

When I asked her about it she said that she's always done it that way. She's been a cashier for a million years so I let it slide but surely that's wrong. Gift cards are an incentive to come back and spend more money, they're not a coupon that saves you right away.

You are exactly right...there's a reason the gift card can't be used until a future visit.

Sounds like they are pocketing the promotional gift card.
That sounds like the most likely thing. It's also possible that they're offering to split the transaction so the guest gets the gift card on one transaction, pays for the merchandise up to that point, and then does another transaction where they can use the gift card.

That sounds like the most likely thing. It's also possible that they're offering to split the transaction so the guest gets the gift card on one transaction, pays for the merchandise up to that point, and then does another transaction where they can use the gift card.

We do this at my store but the thing is the original poster made it sound like this cashier is doing it all on one transaction which is not possible.

It would be one thing if the cashier told the guest I can't do this in one transaction but we can use the gift card if you do a seperate transaction.

Last edited:
IIRC, there used to be an option in the POS that would deduct the giftcard value but it was eliminated because, as everyone else has said, its purpose is to bring the guest back for repeat business.

What I also realized with giftcards is the guest actually pays for the $5 gift card or whatever amount, just Target gives you the same amount back.

Are you actually saving money if it's just your own money?

What I also realized with giftcards is the guest actually pays for the $5 gift card or whatever amount, just Target gives you the same amount back.

Yes because you pay the $5 to add to the gift card (which is untaxed) and then you get a $5 target coupon, which lowers the taxed amount and you end up paying ever so slightly less. And then you get the $5 gift card.

breaks even. you're not paying any more or paying any less

LET AP KNOW! I don't care if they've been there forever it's wrong and it does affect all of us because of jacked up prices and less trust for cashiers.

Even I have told AP when I wanted a EMPTY gift card that look like a card from a deck of playing cards with Spot on it, they said fine if the GSTL checks it out, he did and there was nothing on it.

I also do this with Canadian change...I like collecting other currency's and it's not of value in the US anyways (likewise I do not let guests pay with Canadian change and they ask me why...seriously).

If a gift card promo transaction occurs and THE GUEST ONLY REQUESTS conducting a second transaction to use the gift card immediately afterwards on the additional items, I think its ok. Keeping the guest happy.

But TMs should never be soliciting this process for the guest. The gift card promos are to bring guests back for future purchases.

Last edited:
LET AP KNOW! I don't care if they've been there forever it's wrong and it does affect all of us because of jacked up prices and less trust for cashiers.

Even I have told AP when I wanted a EMPTY gift card that look like a card from a deck of playing cards with Spot on it, they said fine if the GSTL checks it out, he did and there was nothing on it.

I also do this with Canadian change...I like collecting other currency's and it's not of value in the US anyways (likewise I do not let guests pay with Canadian change and they ask me why...seriously).

When I was a kid Alaskans pretty much took Canadian coins just like American.
Not as much now but back then at least 10% of our coin was Canadian.

Why? Seriously? We take Canadian change at face value.

The Canadian dollar is worth only about 2/3 to 3/4 of the American dollar on any given day, so taking Canadian money at face value means the store loses money when they deposit the Canadian money in the bank.

Canadian coins are taken at face value (not Loonies or Toonies). Not a bag full, but random coins mixed with US coins. I would guess that everyone around here has a few Canadian coins in their pockets/wallets.

I'm sure AP knows already, but just remind them. They're probably already building a case for the cashier.

I'd totally forgotten that I asked this question!

So the cashier is pretty honest, I've watched her and seen nothing to indicate that she's stealing.

When the register prompts for a gift card, she scans one. She does not bypass that.
When the guest legitimately earns a gift card but the register does not prompt for it, she asks them if they want the gift card or to save the $5.00 right now. She then manually issues a Target discount during the transaction.

She defers to me even though I've been there only a couple years (she's an old timer) but in this, she won't waver.
I'll have to discuss it with GSTL however, I've heard stories that the GSTL doesn't really care what's going on as long as no one is outright stealing.

They asked me if I wanted to apply for GSA the other day and I laughed in their faces.

What posisition are you? She should still, be issuing the gift card if it's a geniune/legit situation where there is a gift card promo as what you said to bring them back to spend $$.

Yeah, it's not hard to issue a gift card that's legit but not prompted for but idk if a regular cashier should be able to do that kind of override on her own without alerting the GSA/TL first. At my store, if that situation happens, the guest is directed to GS to fix the situation....the cashier doesn't do it on their own.

Anyone can issue a $5.00 gift card without supervisor number. She's a cashier, and I'm SD mostly. She's been there 10 years longer than I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back